Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Decathlon HR pod

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Decathlon HR pod Reply with quote

Seem to have lost a HR pod between being on the wattbike at the gym last week and this.

A quick google brought up this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/heart-smart-id_8326583.html

Presuming it would use the same standard spacing as the Garmin and Polar straps I use? Anyone have any concerns about not getting a more recognised branded one? Being able to buy just the pod from decathlon is going to be a lot more cost effective, and this is actually better in that it's dual band.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Stenard, did you get it? Did it fit your strap? If so I might pick up a couple.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked it up last night (didn't get a chance before I went on hols). Took a HR strap with me, and it fits a normal polar soft strap (which I use instead of the Garmin ones).

Haven't used it yet, but intend to do a quick test first by wearing both that and one of my other Garmin ones and seeing that they report at least the same resting HR. Will probably do that before I head out for a run this evening. Will report back.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, I look forward to hearing your results........

(Hope you enjoyed your hols)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of HRM sensors, does anyone else find the Garmin ones to be be generally fragile/sh!te? Had my second one go on the blink in 18 months. The new ones are integrated too, so if the strap falls apart (mine started after less than 6 months) you need to buy the whole thing again, or stich it up like I have Rolling Eyes

Polar HR sensors piss all over the Garmin ones in my experience - never missed a beat Wink When Polar sort out all the third-party compatibility, I think I may go back to them, certainly if the software does everything GC does. With more PMs using Bluetooth nowadays, it might not be too many years.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree the new integrated straps from Garmin are asking for trouble - I've had both straps and pods die on me at separate times, my understanding is Garmin are fairly generous with their replacement strategy should you have a problem. They use HRM straps like loyalty rewards.

Whether they anticipate a 5 year upgrade schedule when they design these things I doubt though, so I may run into problems in a few years. How often are they expecting people to upgrade?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I got my HRM Run from a business on ebay, so not sure how far I'll get with that. Still paid 50 and it's obviously genuine. Garmin say you must return them to the retailer (if not purchased via them). In the meantime, you kind of want another HRM!
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the new straps. It's for that reason I bought a standalone HRM-run pod off ebay and then predominantly use polar soft straps. I only use the integrated strap HRM-tri for races, to save wear and tear.

First impressions of the decathlon one are it's not far off. At rest, it was within a beat of my HRM-tri. I did some jumps and jogging on the spot, and whilst they varied a little bit in terms of response time, they both generally trended the same.

Planning on a turbo session Sunday evening where I'll wear both, record both data streams, and then see if there's actually any meaningful difference in terms of interval and overall averages.

Ultimately I train to power, but often my coach will set HR caps for certain sessions, so I'd like to know it's at least in the ball park of my other pods
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just splashed-out on a HRM Tri from Wiggle (I can return it easily in the next 12 months if needed). My first HRM was just the pop-on HRM Run version, on a Polar strap. Sensor only cost 9.99 on fleabay (new) so I wasn't so bothered when it died. The Polar strap though - that's still in mint condition. Garmin need to take note!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
On the subject of HRM sensors, does anyone else find the Garmin ones to be be generally fragile/sh!te? Had my second one go on the blink in 18 months. The new ones are integrated too, so if the strap falls apart (mine started after less than 6 months) you need to buy the whole thing again, or stich it up like I have Rolling Eyes

Polar HR sensors piss all over the Garmin ones in my experience - never missed a beat Wink When Polar sort out all the third-party compatibility, I think I may go back to them, certainly if the software does everything GC does. With more PMs using Bluetooth nowadays, it might not be too many years.

been using my forerunner strap with no drama for 4 or 5 years and my Edge 500 strap for several years more...

am in the market for a new 935 Tri bundle but not sure i can risk Sunny Well Living or whatever to save 100..anyone know of any good deals?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a turbo session at the gym this evening where I used the new pod standalone. The numbers seemed really low, so in a moment of inspiration (I jest) I realised I could validate by simply checking my pulse. It was bang on. Both at moderate intensity and recoveries.

I've never done that kind of test with my other straps. So the question now becomes, do my other ones over read, or has my last couple of weeks of more regular and higher volime training resulted in a bit of a step change in cardiovascular efficiency...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: