Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cable Lube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Cable Lube Reply with quote

I've just fitted some new (second hand) aerobars to my Blade and it 's the first time I've had any that don't use the cable outer from the lever. (They're the original HED integrated ones)

The general consensus seems to be not to lube cables now as the liners are coated but my back brake is quite sluggish to return so I can only think this section through the bars isn't helping.

Do you guys lube your cables whether in cable outers or internal routing and if so what's best to use?

I'm thinking a light 3in1 type oil as anything too claggy will build up and probably cause more hassle.
kevb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With brake cable internally routed through the bars; road or TT, the outer should go through the bar and right up to the lever. To make the outer cable flex easier I strip off the coloured outer covering for about 6-8 inches, should be left with the steel casing and the liner, use a stanley knife to cut round then lengthways (be careful!). Thread the bare cable through from the lever and then thread on the outer, the cable should guide it through the bar with a bit of tension.

I had a similar rear brake issue and this sorted it.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevb
I've just been out to have another look and you're right, the outer should go inside. I had one of those metal ferrules on the outer and that was enough to stop it going in. Once I took that off the outer slid inside the bars without cutting the plastic away.
Now, of course, the outers are a couple of inches too short, doh!
But the brakes do return ok now as I also lubed everything with a bit of light oil while I was at it.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dry lube or wax would be best, plus some extended cable ends like the Jagwire ones do an amazing job of stopping any dirt or water getting anywhere near the cable inners, especially if you add a few cm or even complete outer cable covering over the bare cable sections too. Virtually zero cable maint required for years.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the 3 in 1 for the lawnmower, grandad Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this isn't a genuine engineering manual? (replace WD40 with 3in1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: