Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The next big thing.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: The next big thing. Reply with quote

I'm really curious about these real time aero measuring systems. Not for any particular performance reasons but just geeky curiosity.

I did my own very basic aero testing last year between road a tri bike and am fascinated by the concept but the thought of riding along and shrugging, turtling, moving your hands and seeing the impact sounds cool.

Bound to be ludicrously expensive to begin with (like power meters) but as with all things may filter down to my world over time.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/aerolab-aerodynamic-sensors.html
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it has to be electric cars that have a good range and lower price, thus universally increasing appeal. They are obviously coming, so I'm no Nostradamus, but they will be a good thing, until a solar-powered equivalent supplants that.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The next big thing. Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I'm really curious about these real time aero measuring systems. Not for any particular performance reasons but just geeky curiosity.

AndyF who went on to alphamantis started with this system 7 years ago- pitot tube on the bike - despite managing to bring the aero to market and proving there is money, they've not got an on bike tech yet. I fear it's pretty complicated.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The next big thing. Reply with quote

AndyF who went on to alphamantis started with this system 7 years ago- pitot tube on the bike - despite managing to bring the aero to market and proving there is money, they've not got an on bike tech yet. I fear it's pretty complicated.[/quote]

Reading the DCR article it doesn't seem they're a million miles away but I guess it's those last few degrees of accuracy that will make or break. If minor changes in aero are smaller than the general level of background noise the whole thing falls down.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argon 18 are working on making it marketable and "normal" equipment. I seem to remember the first article about their work about 2 years ago.

As you said, I guess it's tricky or the first bikes would already be out regardless of price. If someone can pay 15k for a P5x with eTap then someone will pay for this as well.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/notio-konect-280820

They go a bit further as well:
Quote:
Biomechanical sensors can be placed on the body to measure body movements in real time. If a rider rocks their hips or moves their torso significantly, perhaps because of a weak core, the sensors are designed to spot it.

the5krunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The next big thing. Reply with quote

Quote:
JaRok2300 wrote:
AndyF who went on to alphamantis started with this system 7 years ago- pitot tube on the bike - despite managing to bring the aero to market and proving there is money, they've not got an on bike tech yet. I fear it's pretty complicated.

Reading the DCR article it doesn't seem they're a million miles away but I guess it's those last few degrees of accuracy that will make or break. If minor changes in aero are smaller than the general level of background noise the whole thing falls down.

I guess those units are going to be seriosuly priced when released.

I've always meant to try to use a Velocomp Powerpod in conjunction with a regular PM. The powerpod is cheap.

the powerpod is first calibrated taking into account your drag.

then off you go and cycle.

if you change position then your regular PM will obviously say the same old thing as you change your position. BUT BUT the Powerpod will not ie the difference of your regular PM to the powerpod will show the effect of any changes in yoru riding position.

Something like that

apparently thier software can analyse this offline. but i couldn't be bothered to do that. I wanted it in an app to look at it in rea time. I was told that was 'planned'...but that was a year ago or so.

Would eb interested to hear of anyone else successding with this approach.
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artificial intelligence.

But oe they are recognised persons, will they be able to compete in the menís 100m?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Artificial intelligence.

But oe they are recognised persons, will they be able to compete in the menís 100m?

Eh? No AI or machine learning in that, it's just pure maths.

I have no idea what you meant by the second part. Smile
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Artificial intelligence.

AI is The next big thing. Put general AI in a robot body, legally recognised as a person, will they be able to compete at the olympics?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
doug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Artificial intelligence.

AI is The next big thing. Put general AI in a robot body, legally recognised as a person, will they be able to compete at the olympics?

Not if they test positive for CPU or RAM.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Artificial intelligence.

AI is a long way from playing a full role at the Olympics...apart from the obvious, no machine could ever cope with all the shagging and McDonalds eating....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: