Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TT Bike selling advice and value?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: TT Bike selling advice and value? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been out of triathlon for a while now focusing on my running and after going for the first swim in about a year today Im starting to think I probably won't get back in to it as I just can't be that bothered with the swimming and I think i'd rather just ride my bike that seriously train for it so I'm thinking of selling on my TT bike.

The daft thing is at the end of 2016 when I was coming back off Triathlon I foolishly started to put together a custom high-end bike which I spent quite a lot of money on so I essentially have a pretty high-spec bike sat in my spare room never used so it would be nice to recoup some of the costs. Spec-wise it's:

Planet X Exo3 XL Frame
mavic CXR 80 Tubular wheel set
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 Di2 groupset
Pioneer Left-side power meter

so at new prices there isn't far off £3.5k worth of kit on it once you add on all the little bits on top. Obviously I understand you get pretty poor return on on second-hand bikes even if they are pretty much new but few questions:

1. Anyone got a good idea on what sort of return I might get?
2. Whats the best place to sell a higher-end TT bike (I sold my old P2 on eBay but that was only in the £500-£600 region)
3. Whens the best time to sell a bike? Triathlon season tends to starts around April-May so do bikes typically get sold now as people prepare or do people find its more someone does their first tri in April then decides they need an upgrade?

Cheers,

Tom
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

Ebay is a certain sale, there are the classifieds on here or Facebook.

Hope your running well, I have a garage full of carbon already that my girlfriend doesn't understand but I may be interested in the groupset?
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those parts sell at different price drops.

For a full bike look at current cheapest online and drop roughly 40%. I had to dump my Argon18 E112 for 850 since some daft online shop started selling them new at 1500. Had hoped for 1000-1100 but no takers.

Exo3 frameset = 1200 new = 850 (maybe a bit more since it's a recent model)

Groupsets sells expensive compared to new price, especially if new. If new considered ca. 25% off cheapest online.
DA Di2 TT = 1139 new = 900 (if new)

Wheels are slightly random priced methinks. If new you could get away with as little as 25% down, but it depends on whether there is a buyer. People get recommendations of friends etc and it seems to influence a lot.
Mavic CXR 80 ultimate = 1349 new = 1000 (if new)

Pioneer PM on 105 is 379 at Evans, so if new would go for about 300. Ultegra/DA cranks will fetch comparatively less since a lot simply want the powermeter over the bling.

These are all based on me peddling stuff for myself and kind of just keeping an eye on good secondhand deals. Smile

Anyone got different experiences for these?
tommy060289

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chrace I was hoping to avoid splitting but itís a difficult bike to compare as thereís nothing really equivalent on the PX website.

Do you have any recommendations for where to sell?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the classifieds on www.timetriallingforum.co.uk
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Try the classifieds on www.timetriallingforum.co.uk

Facebook groups "Road, time trial and triathlon bikes and parts for sale" (snappy name) or "Yorkshire Cycling Sales" are both very active. You might have something more local as well similar to the Yorkshire one (don't know where you are based).

Local cycling and tri club classifieds.

eBay is last resort due to 10% commission. I use it as a dumping ground when something really has been too long in the garage. 99p start and see how it goes, 8pm finish time Mon-Thu, or Friday night at 10pm (drunk bidding in the pub or something, it seems to work!).
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
...eBay is last resort due to 10% commission.

Watch out for GBP1 maximum fee offers or similar which come round all the time and then list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: