Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Press ups

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8348
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Press ups Reply with quote

I did 10 press ups tonight, and I was totally schooled by my 6 year old.

Being an old weak man is sadly unimpressive...
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15880
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Press ups Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
I did 10 press ups tonight, and I was totally schooled by my 6 year old.

Being an old weak man is sadly unimpressive...


technique matters...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chrace




Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 2837
Location: Eating a Yorkie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You managed 10?!? Shocked No way I could do that...!
_________________
Where the mind goes the body follows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 453
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8348
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Consistency!


We've done 10 every day since, she's still schooling me, and the last few are hard!

Chrace Remember I'm not carrying much extra weight, so it should be pretty easy. Still can't really do upwards monkey bars though (some of that is technique though)
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 453
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
Consistency!


We've done 10 every day since, she's still schooling me, and the last few are hard!

Chrace Remember I'm not carrying much extra weight, so it should be pretty easy. Still can't really do upwards monkey bars though (some of that is technique though)


I reckon some sneaky practice sessions when she’s not around Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ed_m




Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 8171
Location: coventry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
Consistency!


We've done 10 every day since, she's still schooling me, and the last few are hard!

Chrace Remember I'm not carrying much extra weight, so it should be pretty easy. Still can't really do upwards monkey bars though (some of that is technique though)


I reckon some sneaky practice sessions when she’s not around Very Happy


This !.... it's the approved Lance Armstrong way,
_________________
Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement [C.S. Lewis]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1863

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
You managed 10?!? Shocked No way I could do that...!

Seriously? Whilst I know getting "stacked" isn't exactly important for triathlon or multisport, I would have presumed most people had decent enough upper body strength to at least get into double figures?!

I have no idea how many I could do now, but I'd say easily 30+. I used to be able to do c80 in a minute, so even though I haven't done any chest specific exercises in years, I find the ability is retained to some extent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FoulOleRon




Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 6674

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried introducing pressups on top of MrsFoul as a form of resistance training.

Sadly, her resistance was greater than mine. Crying or Very sad
_________________
Find a happy place, find a happy place
http://mikemccrumpet.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
You managed 10?!? Shocked No way I could do that...!

Seriously? Whilst I know getting "stacked" isn't exactly important for triathlon or multisport, I would have presumed most people had decent enough upper body strength to at least get into double figures?!

I have no idea how many I could do now, but I'd say easily 30+. I used to be able to do c80 in a minute, so even though I haven't done any chest specific exercises in years, I find the ability is retained to some extent.


He doesn't swim, so has the upper body of a cyclist Very Happy

Kids have great strength/weight at that age. Then it generally goes to lot before they hit their teens.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8348
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
You managed 10?!? Shocked No way I could do that...!

Seriously? Whilst I know getting "stacked" isn't exactly important for triathlon or multisport, I would have presumed most people had decent enough upper body strength to at least get into double figures?!

I have no idea how many I could do now, but I'd say easily 30+. I used to be able to do c80 in a minute, so even though I haven't done any chest specific exercises in years, I find the ability is retained to some extent.


He doesn't swim, so has the upper body of a cyclist Very Happy


hey I can comfortably manage 10, just not as comfortably as Otter, she can do up hill monkey bars https://youtu.be/A8hihn6jNEw I can't...

Jorgan wrote:
Kids have great strength/weight at that age. Then it generally goes to lot before they hit their teens.


Doesn't it go later, particularly in boys? Or is the testosterone hit not big enough to make up for the extra pies?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 641
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 13 year old daughter can do 100 monkey bars (including turns) - I can manage about 10-15, however, I can do 40 press ups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
You managed 10?!? Shocked No way I could do that...!

Seriously? Whilst I know getting "stacked" isn't exactly important for triathlon or multisport, I would have presumed most people had decent enough upper body strength to at least get into double figures?!

I have no idea how many I could do now, but I'd say easily 30+. I used to be able to do c80 in a minute, so even though I haven't done any chest specific exercises in years, I find the ability is retained to some extent.


He doesn't swim, so has the upper body of a cyclist Very Happy


hey I can comfortably manage 10, just not as comfortably as Otter, she can do up hill monkey bars https://youtu.be/A8hihn6jNEw I can't...

Jorgan wrote:
Kids have great strength/weight at that age. Then it generally goes to lot before they hit their teens.


Doesn't it go later, particularly in boys? Or is the testosterone hit not big enough to make up for the extra pies?


Dunno, I'm only talking from what I've seen at parks. Plenty of kids under ten literally swinging about like monkeys, but you don't see older kids owning the monkey bars - but maybe that's because they see it as a young kids thing! There's definitely a point at which that 'natural' ability goes and you have to train for it. Doubtless gender dependent too.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.