Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Staffs (70.3)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: IM Staffs (70.3) Reply with quote

So I am being badgered to do this event.
I am very reluctant to hand over an obscene amount of money to IM for what I think looks like a cold crappy event in the north of England.

However, in the spirit of doing my due diligence. Does anyone here know much about it? Specifically.

Why isn't it in the nice big house anymore?
Is it really a swim by a motorway?
How much of a pain will split transition be?
What are the road surfaces like in the area? I tend to only race on euro pancakes, although I train on some of the worst roads in the country
Is Stafford nice to run around? The course looks annoying as hell (very twisty turny)

Thanks in advance Smile
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hot when I raced it in 2016.

Change of stewardship of the big house.

Yes. Clear water, my best swim so far.

Itís a bit annoying to set up, but not much hassle. And if youíve done it before, no hassle at all. They bus you over from one to the other.

Mixed.

Yes, at least when the run was around the big house.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: IM Staffs (70.3) Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I am very reluctant to hand over an obscene amount of money to IM for what I think looks like a cold crappy event in the north of England.

However, in the spirit of doing my due diligence. Does anyone here know much about it? Specifically.

Why isn't it in the nice big house anymore?
Is it really a swim by a motorway?
How much of a pain will split transition be?
What are the road surfaces like in the area? I tend to only race on euro pancakes, although I train on some of the worst roads in the country
Is Stafford nice to run around? The course looks annoying as hell (very twisty turny)

Thanks in advance Smile

You seem to have so many complaints about it (before you even go) that I don't think you need any help making a decision...btw Staffs isn't in the North of England.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: IM Staffs (70.3) Reply with quote

[quote="Simon G."]
tuckandgo wrote:

You seem to have so many complaints about it (before you even go) that I don't think you need any help making a decision...btw Staffs isn't in the North of England.

Yes, these the questions I want answers to before making a decision. Perfectly reasonable before I spend £350 on an event.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IM Staffs (70.3) Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:

...btw Staffs isn't in the North of England.

I was thinking the same, down south for us!

Haven't they had weather problems with really heavy rain twice as well?

Jeff
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim is not the med, a country park reservoir. Donít expect to see dolphins!

The bike is twisty and not particularly fast. Road surfaces guaranteed to pulverise yer perinium in the first third. Blind country lane bends and often mud on the roads

The run was quite lovely in the big house grounds. Sadly now around Staffs town. New run course, untested. Possibly lots of bored teenage BMXers throwing chips and peas at you.

£350, daylight robbery! am I racing, yes!
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire Midlands is pretty much the unwanted last pick whenever it comes to North/South teams.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Laughing

I did the first one there and itís the event Iíve liked least in my short 4 years playing at this sport. I believe the course and transitions have changed so it may be better but registration, racking, water entry and leaving were a disaster.

The course is ok, bike lanes are dicey at the start of the bike but an honest course with a tough run (they lied through their arses about it being fast but I donít care about that).

Obviously that may not stand now due to the changes. Hopefully theyíve sorted the water entry out but just make sure you get to the front of your wave to make sure you are in the water when the gun goes off.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
Swim is not the med, a country park reservoir. Donít expect to see dolphins!

The bike is twisty and not particularly fast. Road surfaces guaranteed to pulverise yer perinium in the first third. Blind country lane bends and often mud on the roads

The run was quite lovely in the big house grounds. Sadly now around Staffs town. New run course, untested. Possibly lots of bored teenage BMXers throwing chips and peas at you.

£350, daylight robbery!

Love it. I'm sold.

Just need the split transition to go as wrong as Leeds ITU in 2016, and some really crap weather, and it'd be perfect.
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive done it 3 times
the only awkward bit was having to take the bike to the swim start.

the swim is good

the roads are quite good & quite fast. just a small section of country single lane that needs a recon to maintain speed.

the run was a run no big hills just a small section of xcountry which got muddy on the wet day.
the new run course should be ok, would be great to see the same level of support as the old course.

the price is the price you pay for an IM branded event & closed roads, you know how much it is before you hit the button.

i'm not going this year but hope to be back next year
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really bring myself to do this, I know a couple of people who have and they said it was good.

More likely to do Edinburgh, but I appreciate for tuckandgo that it is even further north and likely to be colder and crappier Sad

Jeff
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've raced at an event in Chasewater. Someone walked past me in the middle of the lake. I'd say it is as pedestrian a swim as you'll get 'up North. (Not Welsh cold...)

I think the move into Stafford will be a good thing. Shugburough was a pain to get on and off. Stafford has a great, well supported half and a 10k. So people running round the streets will be nothing new. Plus it's pretty flat. It'll be better for spectators too with the handy town centre and pubs Smile
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*remembers Wimbleball*

*wipes tears away*

*wanders off*
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
*remembers Wimbleball*

*wipes tears away*

*wanders off*

WIMBLEBALL was by far the best 70.3 branded event in the UK

June is not the same without this classic Crying or Very sad
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
*remembers Wimbleball*

*wipes tears away*

*wanders off*

WIMBLEBALL was by far the best 70.3 branded event in the UK

June is not the same without this classic Crying or Very sad

x2
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: