Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Paris Marathon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Paris Marathon Reply with quote

Entered this with a view to a Good For Age time (sub-3.15) for VLM19.

Any tips etc from previous competitors?

Thinking of a Paris parkrun the day before to loosen up after the Eurostar and other travelling on the Friday.

Andy G
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful running the day before unless you can reign in the pace, not sure how close you are to sub 3:15 but you wouldn't want to miss out by a few minutes because of it.

You'll probably end up doing quite a bit of walking just to get your number etc. in the days before.

It was about 8 years since I did it, quite enjoyed it but a few parts of the course get a bit quiet.

The main thing I remember was that the aid stations weren't much good and you only got some energy drink after about 20 miles and I was suffering by then, although I think things might be different now but I'd check.

Jeff
Andy G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling with the OH and our 22 month old bundle of trouble, no public transport problems were experienced despite the French strikes. Arrived on the Eurostar mid-afternoon on Friday and then a quick metro hop to our small hotel (Hotel Elysées Opera) between Rome and Liege Metro stations. Bought a carnet of Metro tickets at the buffet car on the Eurostar to avoid the ticket office queues at Gare du Nord.

Was originally planning on registering on the Friday, but didn't fancy another excursion so soon. Had a Thai meal a couple of doors away from the hotel.

Did the Bois de Boulogne parkrun on Saturday morning, then grabbed a quick coffee locally and took a bus down to Convention to register. Was relatively simples. Bus crosses the Seine with a good view of the Eiffel Tower.

After lunch we took a walk from the hotel down to the Arc and I realised that my plan to walk/jog it to the start in the morning was a bit over ambitious and taking the Metro the few stops would be a far better plan. Had a good carbo load at an Italian restaurant that evening, again only a few doors away from the hotel.

Quite a bit of walking on the Saturday morning before the race, despite getting the Metro. Had to go past and then back through the finish area to utilise the bag drop and then walk around the Arc to the start pens. It was looking like a fairly hot and sunny day.

Made the last minute to decision to run with my new race footwear which I'd only tried out once before (and that was a relatively short distance on a treadmill) rather than my training shoes from the past couple of months. Was concerned that the racers would be a little under cushioned but they turned out to be fine.

Started in the sub-3.15 pen and managed that pace for the first 34/35Km until the quads gave up and I struggled in to a 3.25 finish, which was a 20min PB (only my 3rd open marathon, last one 4 years ago) which I was fairly content with, despite missing out on a VLM good for age time. Nice race, well supported, generally flat, good contrast between wide and narrow streets and the city parts (with a few tunnels) and the two park areas. Not many timing clocks around the course, although most would be wearing GPS watches for their own timing. Timing mats every 5Km. Fruit, ginger cake, salty pretzels, water, etc at the finish.

After an hour of recovery in the Parisian sunshine we strolled over to the Eiffel Tower and took in the view of the city from the top.

Back on the Eurostar on Monday morning and that was it for a very enjoyable weekend break. Very little to complain about, had a marvellous time.

Andy G
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy G wrote:
Travelling with the OH and our 22 month old bundle of trouble, no public transport problems were experienced despite the French strikes. Arrived on the Eurostar mid-afternoon on Friday and then a quick metro hop to our small hotel (Hotel Elysées Opera) between Rome and Liege Metro stations. Bought a carnet of Metro tickets at the buffet car on the Eurostar to avoid the ticket office queues at Gare du Nord.

Was originally planning on registering on the Friday, but didn't fancy another excursion so soon. Had a Thai meal a couple of doors away from the hotel.

Did the Bois de Boulogne parkrun on Saturday morning, then grabbed a quick coffee locally and took a bus down to Convention to register. Was relatively simples. Bus crosses the Seine with a good view of the Eiffel Tower.

After lunch we took a walk from the hotel down to the Arc and I realised that my plan to walk/jog it to the start in the morning was a bit over ambitious and taking the Metro the few stops would be a far better plan. Had a good carbo load at an Italian restaurant that evening, again only a few doors away from the hotel.

Quite a bit of walking on the Saturday morning before the race, despite getting the Metro. Had to go past and then back through the finish area to utilise the bag drop and then walk around the Arc to the start pens. It was looking like a fairly hot and sunny day.

Made the last minute to decision to run with my new race footwear which I'd only tried out once before (and that was a relatively short distance on a treadmill) rather than my training shoes from the past couple of months. Was concerned that the racers would be a little under cushioned but they turned out to be fine.

Started in the sub-3.15 pen and managed that pace for the first 34/35Km until the quads gave up and I struggled in to a 3.25 finish, which was a 20min PB (only my 3rd open marathon, last one 4 years ago) which I was fairly content with, despite missing out on a VLM good for age time. Nice race, well supported, generally flat, good contrast between wide and narrow streets and the city parts (with a few tunnels) and the two park areas. Not many timing clocks around the course, although most would be wearing GPS watches for their own timing. Timing mats every 5Km. Fruit, ginger cake, salty pretzels, water, etc at the finish.

After an hour of recovery in the Parisian sunshine we strolled over to the Eiffel Tower and took in the view of the city from the top.

Back on the Eurostar on Monday morning and that was it for a very enjoyable weekend break. Very little to complain about, had a marvellous time.

Andy G

Nice one, sounds like a good experience!
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Paris marathon but thought there were a few dead spots on the course, but over 26 miles that isn't a surprise.

I didn't think much of the on-course nutrition either, but that was about 8 years ago.

All the walking about takes minutes off your time though and probably didn't help the quads.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: