Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Spesh Shiv

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Spesh Shiv Reply with quote

Got my eyes on a local Spesh Shiv Expert (ultegra, standard kit) and wondered about opinions.

Question 1: Current Shiv owners, likes/dislikes?

Question 2: Any actual difference between the Expert and higher grade weapons? I won't set the world alight with 240w FTP anyway, so it's mostly for flat half and full IMs and occasional local TTs.

Fit:
On my old Argon18 E-112 I felt good in the start but then got older and wanted to stretch more. Since a 130mm stem started getting silly on it (handling) I sold it an am looking around.

According to stats I'd theoretically need a large Shiv, but the guy's same height as me so can't be that far off. His armrests are also further apart than I had so there'd be comfort simply from that. I'm also worried if I do get a large then I cannot shorten or lower it even if I wanted to, whereas a medium can be lifted/extended.

Question 3: Am I blinding myself and heading in to the same problem as I had before, or should I just go see it? Risk is that if I see it I might just fall in love... Razz
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything bad to say about mine, I like the internal hydration but if you don't then you don't have to use it.
Due to being so long legged there is not really many other options for me so I am pretty much suck with it to be honest. I've upgraded to Etap and just ordered the Tririg alpha one & Omega brakes, mostly because I don't need to spend money on a new bike Smile
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Shiv, it is a size S - I am 173cm tall (5'Cool

I read about people complaining about the hydration system, but I think it works brilliantly. I don't have the valve on it and I modified the drinking tube with a right angle bend

It is more Aero than my Canyon Ultimate - I have a 38km ride around the lake where I live in Switzerland, on my Shiv I cycled it in 59m 02sec @ 239w and Canyon in 59m 01sec @ 255W. The Shiv has Walker Brothers 808 front and disc rear wheel, with Vittoria G+ 25mm tubular tyres, the Canyon has Roval 32 CLX wheels with Vittoria G+ 25mm Clinchers.

I have Ultegra Di2 groupset and 3T Brezzia bars.

Brakes were awful until I fitted Shimano Dura Ace cables, and that made a massive difference

I have not ridden other TT bikes, but I find that the Shiv Descends very well, and is perfectly good at climbing
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Still not sure about size. Local one is a medium and the guy is same height as me, but my calculations said I needed a large.

Might just need to go see it and go from there.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit is personal and difficult to compare with someone who is the same height. For me, if I am between 2 sizes or close to the borderline, the smaller size is a better fit. On Specialized sizing, I am at the bottom end of a size M, but I know that S will be better, on Canyon (where I had a fit at their site) the sizing chart shows I am an S, but the fitting and back to back riding, showed that XS was better.

For what it is worth, on the Shiv, I have no spacers on the pads, and 1 spacer on the headset, my knees are about 2 cm from my elbows at the top of the rotation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: