Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Full waterproof body cover for running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Full waterproof body cover for running Reply with quote

Hi all,

In July I am planning to do the Snowdonia Trail marathon which will be quite a departure from my usual road running with a bit of trail running. I have most the kit but the race rules stipulate the following are required:

•Full waterproof body cover (Hooded Jacket and Trousers, with taped seams)

Not being a full on Fell/Ultra runner I'm not sure what kit fits this usual bill. Is it pretty much just waterproof trousers and jacket from any of the typical off-road running companies (Inov-8, Salomon, etc)

Any recommendations for this. Want something like and easy to pack (I have a Hoka F-light race vest) but cheap as possible really as good chance will never actually be used in anger!

Cheers,

Tom
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience... a good jacket is invaluable.
If it does chuck it down you'll need it to stand any chance of keeping your core warm.
If you don't plan to do a lot, and it's only a marathon.... maybe you don't need to pay out top dollar for the big brands but the more you pay, the more of the waterproof, breathable, lightweight, packable boxes you can tick.

Trousers most people use a pair from decathlon / go outdoors for less than a tenner.
Most likely you'd only use them if forced to go to ground, or injured and walking. The only time I've work mine was at camp on a multiday as they were the only trousers I carried with me Very Happy
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect advise from Ed.

Trousers, whatever cheap stuff is fine if you're not planning on doing a lot. It's primarily to keep wind off if you have to go slow.

Jacket however, I really appreciate I spent some money (~150 on sale, RRP 250) when I bought mine. I've done the X and half X a few times now and every time I put this jacket on I just have my very own perfect little microclimate regardless of how much it's chucking it down. It's my go-to if the weather is bad, including local training runs (I actually quite like running in heavy downpours now).

If you have a bad weather day in the mountains the jacket will at best just make it a lot more comfortable, but could also be thing that avoids a mountain rescue team dispatch.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up a pair of Marmot trousers in a sale, £30 iirc, and they have been excellent when the wind chill would otherwise grind my old legs to a halt...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the great advice guys. I was thinking of the Inov-8 ultra shell for myself (like the though of see-through and light) and the inov-8 stormshell for the missus as guess its a bit more versatile and gives her something more to use in training.

Was going to get some pricier pants such as the inov-8 race pants but will just get some cheapo stuff from decathlon to meet the kit requirement.

Cheers guys:)
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth having a word with Martin Like at Likeys.com - a former member of this parish known as Littlefatwelshman. he supplies a lot of outdoor kit to people doing the MdS, 6633 Ultra (his event), and various other extreme events so is well clued up on what works for what type of event/climate and is a lead retailer for a number of well known brands like Marmot, Arcteryx etc. one of the few retailers who knows his stuff and is a pleasure to deal with.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
might be worth having a word with Martin Like at Likeys.com - a former member of this parish known as Littlefatwelshman. he supplies a lot of outdoor kit to people doing the MdS, 6633 Ultra (his event), and various other extreme events so is well clued up on what works for what type of event/climate and is a lead retailer for a number of well known brands like Marmot, Arcteryx etc. one of the few retailers who knows his stuff and is a pleasure to deal with.

+1
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
thanks for the great advice guys. I was thinking of the Inov-8 ultra shell for myself (like the though of see-through and light) and the inov-8 stormshell for the missus as guess its a bit more versatile and gives her something more to use in training.

Was going to get some pricier pants such as the inov-8 race pants but will just get some cheapo stuff from decathlon to meet the kit requirement.

Cheers guys:)

Beware of see through. Once tested a transparent jacket and trousers for one of our product lines, seemed fine until I crouched down to test for restriction which squeezed the air out, on standing up the shrink wrapped effect was quite alarming.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing what has already been said by Ed. I did a big ultra this winter and bought the best jacket i could find/afford - the Omm Kamleika which i very highly rate. Very windproof, waterproof, light and so much more breathable than i ever thought. Saw a lot of them on course, probably the most popular i reckon.

As for trousers, i went for these: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/trousers-shorts/mens-waterproof-trousers/pakka-overtrousers-p11883.aspx/black/ lightweight, taped seams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: