Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
help please - new Scott Plasma 4 Seatpost slipping.!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nig5

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: help please - new Scott Plasma 4 Seatpost slipping.!!! Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help please. New Scott Plasma 4 (10) aero seatpost slipping. Desperate!
Torque to 5nm ; bike shop wont even look at it without a disclaimer letter in case they crack the carbon. Tried carbon paste and sand - still slips .

Fit a shim ?? or buy another seatpost which is difficult to get hold of to cut to exact height - which is also difficult I fear.

Any help or suggestions please.
snowie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried asking the shop where you purchased it from?
failing that go to your nearest scott dealer.

i've had a quick look at one & it looks like the same fitting as on the trek speed concept.

i would suggest you take the fitting out & make sure its correctly assembled & the correct way round.
once fastened up the fitting is very secure on the trek.
nig5

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, cant take it to shop where I bought it as purchased in Lanzarote and I have had to return to London as my husband is ill. No local scott dealer unfortunately. Phoned a few but seem just to suggest carbon paste.

Bike just re-assembled by Sigma sport, but now slipped down twice with them . Clamp is correctly fitted but seatpost does feel a bit loose in seat tube. Considering shim of zipp tie ?
antht

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, carbon paste will do it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacx-Carbon-Assembly-Compound-Tube/dp/B001GSOPBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1431782996&sr=1-1&keywords=carbon+paste
milkywaye

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem like this on an aero post on another bike. Seemed the tolerances were a bit off.

The only way I managed to solve it was a bit of duct tape down the side of the post to thicken it up a bit. literally a single strip down the foil side.
That when combined with the carbon paste solved the problem for me (not ideal but was the only thing that would work for me)

No idea what that would do to the warranty etc
fenix

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used hair spray on my CF post in a CF frame when that slipped. Worked wonders.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
I always used hair spray on my CF post in a CF frame when that slipped. Worked wonders.

I've only used it for grips on the MTB (where it works wonder as well). Does it harm the paintwork?

My seatpost used to slip as well when the bike was new, but carbon paste and patience sorted it. My, possibly incorrect, logic was that the paste was still slipping while just applied but after a couple of weeks it dried up and the "sand" was no longer able to slide around. Or it bound to the fresh slippy lacquer on the frame chemically. Something like that way anyway, it simply stopped after a couple of months.
cakerthon229

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the seatpost the same as the plasma 3 premium ? if so it's meant to sit on the lip within the frame. I plastic end piece and shims also supplied for adjustment ?
nig5

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cakerthon229 wrote:
Is the seatpost the same as the plasma 3 premium ? if so it's meant to sit on the lip within the frame. I plastic end piece and shims also supplied for adjustment ?

I think it is the same and yes there is a lip but the seatpost cut a bit short of this so means it can slip down. I haven't got any shims etc for adjustment though as bike purchased in Lanzarote and I have had to return back to UK due to close family serious illness. Wondering what I could use as shim>
cakerthon229

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How short is it ? buy a new seat post ?
zamm0

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:

This worked well for me on a TT bike I own when carbon assembly paste did not.
Jorge

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Plasma seatpost torque Reply with quote

I believe the torque spec is 11 Nm. Check Plasma manual tp confirm. I do not have adequate clearance for torque wrench on my Plasma unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: