Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Heat!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Heat! Reply with quote

What sort of percentage time wise should I loose running in temps over 30 degrees?
After loads of bike work my last race showed a modest improvement but I ran well?!
Currently in Cyprus and there's a heat wave 32+, I've put on 1.5 kgs swim and bike are fine, running outside even early is very very slow ?

Best 5k is over 23 mins? Heart rate just ridiculous !

I could always take up darts?
stenard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't 30+ (probably high 20s in the sun), but I know from Mallorca last week, most people were c5mins slower than their target times over the HM, and that was if they felt like they ran well. Quite a few I know exploded fairly spectacularly.

Personally, I was going for a 1:28-1:29, and ran a 1:33. I felt fairly decent and had ensured the bike felt relatively comfortable, I just couldn't get the pace up and the longer the run continued, the more the pace just crept down. There was no real step change drop off, just a gradual reduction in speed. That was even true of one of our top guys who did manage to run a 1:22.

Main thing is maximising cooling. First time I've ever had to really focus on that. I was getting at least two water bottles at each aid station and most of them were over my head and body.

One other thing to add is that in preparation, I had been doing regular sauna sessions after some of my swim and bike workouts. It had been noticeable in the couple of weeks I did this how my HR started off sky high in the first session, but by the last couple was a good 30bpm lower. That kind of acclimatisation is apparently really helpful, having spoken with one of our top club athletes who's raced Kona (and executed a great race in the Frankfurt IM Jorgan always castigates!).
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good running in the heat Stenard.

I ran a similar time at Sundowner last year but it was cool and I think the course was a bit shorter than 21k? The bike is also pan flat.

I would expect to lose 5 mins if not more over a HM especially in a hot Half distance, but the 5 k run at 165 bpm average!
Really shocked me, I've ran 18 something 5 times this year, 4 t mills @ 1" and once outside. It was a shade inside 23 mins balls out!

My first race was nearly three decades ago but it really shocked me just how debilitating heat can be.

Going to try for 10 k tomorrow at a lesser intensity and get up a bit earlier!

The Deva is in two weeks... sub 5 looked nailed on.... not so sure now...!
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat! Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
What sort of percentage time wise should I loose running in temps over 30 degrees?

It will depend upon what you are used to really.

Most of the year here, probably 8 months or so, its over 30 degrees. 30 degrees is nothing if you are used to it Very Happy but when it drops below 20, then its a problem.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randomly Iím in Cyprus at the moment and itís baking! Iíd be ruined trying to do anything in this heat and itís confirmed that Lanza etc would never be for me.

Oddly enough Iíve seen a Thule hard bike case outside someoneís room at our hotel. Itís not you is it?
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy
I wouldn't ride over here.
The drivers are a bit mad.
I'm sure most are ok, but it only takes one.
Lots of swims in a weird shaped pool.
Hotel has a watt bike type bike.
Lots of core and running outside.
It is bonkers hot though!
Longer but slower one tomorrow !
Made a circuit so I can stash water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: