Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Salt Tabs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:

I'm amazed (with respect) that you or anyone, thinks that solid nutrition is the way to go. Energy drink/mix/whatever you want to call it/ (as it should have electrolytes in it,) should be your base energy provider. Then top up with gels and solid food as you need/enjoy.

You need a lot more than carbs and water to keep going on a 4hr+ event, I thought that was general knowledge.

I would imagine that an ironman on water and energy bars only would a recipe for disaster.

Well I definitely did, at least for the bike anyhow. Apparently Craig Alexander uses a bar based nutrition strategy on the bike also & it works for him. I liked the simplicity of one bar every 45 mins and getting the right amount of calories.
It will be Tailwind next time though which is basically dextrose & salt. What can be the difference to bars other than being more difficult to digest & release the calories from?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

I'm amazed (with respect) that you or anyone, thinks that solid nutrition is the way to go. Energy drink/mix/whatever you want to call it/ (as it should have electrolytes in it,) should be your base energy provider. Then top up with gels and solid food as you need/enjoy.

You need a lot more than carbs and water to keep going on a 4hr+ event, I thought that was general knowledge.

I would imagine that an ironman on water and energy bars only would a recipe for disaster.

Well I definitely did, at least for the bike anyhow. Apparently Craig Alexander uses a bar based nutrition strategy on the bike also & it works for him. I liked the simplicity of one bar every 45 mins and getting the right amount of calories.
It will be Tailwind next time though which is basically dextrose & salt. What can be the difference to bars other than being more difficult to digest & release the calories from?

a good drink will have the full spectrum of electrolytes needed (not just sodium). I guess it doesn't matter if it is liquid or solid, you need these as well as carbs (in whatever form.) So what I am really saying is make sure you have those covered, then take extra carbs in whatever form you want.
sully

Location: Manchester (for 7+ years) ... far away from sunny Qatar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to live abroad in a hot country, I used Salt stick capsules (even bought the dispenser tube, but never used it effectively ) during training & ORS (oral rehydration salts : mix with 1L water) during the hot months. I could definitely notice a difference if I didn't take any salts
Started with my energy dropping, often but not always followed by leg cramps, with headaches a few hours after.
The rest of the year I'd use Nuun or Zym, when it was cooler. Now in the UK I just use Nuun , Zero etc.
But I am a heavy sweater.... never had a sweat test but was always sweatier than training buddies doing similar training.
Bit like with all nutrition, horses for courses, try it in training.
2010 July: IM CH 14:49. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, AbuDhabi Short. 2014 Outlaw 13:43 Smile
2015 Abu Dhabi Maxi, Doha Pearl Oly, Tameside XL
2016 Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly 2017 Windy Hill Fell, Saddlesworth Tri, Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly, Zurich 5150
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting podcast on sweat & salt from the Flo guys:

https://soundcloud.com/user-198147103/faster-podcast-by-flo-s1e7-how-analyzing-your-sweat-can-make-you-faster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: