Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Should I race with a plantar fascia injury?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Should I race with a plantar fascia injury? Reply with quote

I did my first tri (a sprint) last September, and have been training towards a 6 hour 70.3 since. 10 days ago, I got pain in the arch of my foot which ended a 12 mile brick session at 8 miles.

Iíve had acupuncture and massage, daily exercises, etc. The pain seemed to have gone, but came back with a vengeance 2 miles in to a run to try it out this morning.

I have 10 days to go to the event (3rd June). Iím torn between just gutting it out and getting to a finish in whatever time I can, versus aborting and aiming for something later in the year if I can sort out the problem.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Nick
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am always amazed at this kind of question and thus will ask a few of my own:

why go from a sprint to a 70.3?

why run (i assume this was the case) a 12 mile brick?

why, after such an extreme injury, go and run to the point of failure again?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I race with a plantar fascia injury? Reply with quote

Nick White wrote:
I did my first tri (a sprint) last September, and have been training towards a 6 hour 70.3 since. 10 days ago, I got pain in the arch of my foot which ended a 12 mile brick session at 8 miles.

Iíve had acupuncture and massage, daily exercises, etc. The pain seemed to have gone, but came back with a vengeance 2 miles in to a run to try it out this morning.

I have 10 days to go to the event (3rd June). Iím torn between just gutting it out and getting to a finish in whatever time I can, versus aborting and aiming for something later in the year if I can sort out the problem.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Nick

I had a knee injury before Holkham half last year, did the swim and the bike and retired before the run. I wouldn't run with an injury, i've been there and done that and made matters much worse. Your options are, abandon completely, or do the swim and bike. Don't enter another event until you know you are fit, when injury is healed, spend a lot of time building back up, don't go straight into it.

A 12 mile Brick seems really excessive, and I don't see the benefit. Even training for an IM I am doing max 50 minute Brick (6 miles)
Nick White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why go from a sprint to a 70.3? ...because Iím a weak swimmer but used to run and have been doing 4000 miles per year on the road bike since 2014. This group recommended 70.3 to mitigate my weak swimming vs other distances.

why run (i assume this was the case) a 12 mile brick? ...Iíve been following a plan from Training Peaks for the last 6 months which has built up to the occasional 1 hr 45 min run off the bike.

why, after such an extreme injury, go and run to the point of failure again? ...my physio recommended staying off it for one week after treatment and then going out for an easy run to check progress.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick White wrote:
why go from a sprint to a 70.3? ...because Iím a weak swimmer but used to run and have been doing 4000 miles per year on the road bike since 2014. This group recommended 70.3 to mitigate my weak swimming vs other distances.

why run (i assume this was the case) a 12 mile brick? ...Iíve been following a plan from Training Peaks for the last 6 months which has built up to the occasional 1 hr 45 min run off the bike.

why, after such an extreme injury, go and run to the point of failure again? ...my physio recommended staying off it for one week after treatment and then going out for an easy run to check progress.

interesting answers, thanks...

i can understand the desire to minimise the swim disadvantage, but that's over a 300% increase in running off the bike...

i like long bricks as part of a programme, but that is obviously excessive if running form is not good. Brick sessions in particular highlight poor running form and poor bike set up

if you are paying your physio, you need to ask for more specific and appropriate advice. Why not run a minute and walk home next time, adding a minute a day until both form and function is in place....

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy run to check progress = 12 mile brick. Not sure that equation computes.
I had physio on a calf strain at the beginning of the year and got similar advice. I went out for a 20min run and lasted 17.
After that I tried something similar to EJCs advice and I'm pretty much back to my normal mileage now. (Admittedly not that far by folks on here's standards)
Nick White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far.

To add a bit of background, Iíve done lots of half marathons in the past (as recent as 2013) and regular 70-100 mile rides in recent years, making 70.3 an attainable goal.

I didnít attempt the 12 mile brick while injured- The injury happened while doing it. Frustratingly, Iíd resolved knee problems from last summer through shoe orthotics for both running and cycling along with a retul bike fit and daily strength and flexibility work, and Iíve steadily built up the run mileage over 6 months.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick White wrote:

To add a bit of background, Iíve done lots of half marathons in the past (as recent as 2013) and regular 70-100 mile rides in recent years, making 70.3 an attainable goal.

I didnít attempt the 12 mile brick while injured- The injury happened while doing it. Frustratingly, Iíd resolved knee problems from last summer through shoe orthotics for both running and cycling along with a retul bike fit and daily strength and flexibility work, and Iíve steadily built up the run mileage over 6 months.

but you were injured when you went back out...

mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick White wrote:

I had a situation where I was recommended a change in footwear and inserts to resolve a knee injury and this was probably the biggest reason why I got a stress fracture in my upper shin. Initial advise was from a physio.

The possible cause of stress fracture was highlighted by a Biometric analysis as I slowly got back into running 12 weeks after my stress fracture. The inserts and structured shoes, which corrected overpronation were transfering a lot of additional load and torsional stress to my shins. The advice I received was to run mainly in a neutral shoe, if I feel issues with knees or ankles, to rest and then use a structured shoe (possibly with inserts) for a little time. I have been running pain and injury free for the past 5 months.

If your knee injury has recovered, maybe seek advice if it is worth mixing in running in a neutral shoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: