Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Coach for weight loss?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newMan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Coach for weight loss? Reply with quote

Many years ago I used to be an ok runner/biker and weighted about 12/14 kgs less. I'm not concerned about being being a competitive AG again but would like to loss some weight so that I can continue to enjoy my running/biking as my 50's loom. All my strategies have failed, and I haven't HTFU, so I thought maybe it's time to use an expert.

I read a few coaching profiles online and I couldn't find anything suitable. As I more interested in the weight loss side than exactly the right workout and some aren't cheap.

Any recommendations?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just create a suitable programme and eat a healthy and appropriate diet...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
newMan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

No sh*t!

"All my strategies have failed, and I haven't HTFU"
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a nutritionist be a better fit than a sports coach?

Is it information on diet and exercise you are after, or motivation and/or accountability?
Tigger

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach for weight loss? Reply with quote

newMan wrote:
All my strategies have failed, and I haven't HTFU, so I thought maybe it's time to use an expert.

A different strategy? Have a google of "banting". For the first few weeks you won't have the energy to train as normal. My running pace fell by about 45s per km to start with. After four weeks I'd got it back. Lost 5kg in that time (and I'm in the normal BMI range). You don't feel hungry.

Professor Tim Noakes tweets a lot about this stuff (LCHF, Keto). https://twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes and posts lots of links - some exercise related but most health related. If you want to find someone who did Ironmans like this then triy this http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/86875777832/becoming-a-bonk-proof-triathlete-fat-chance (he also rowed the Pacific Ocean http://www.fatchancerow.org/). If you prefer films, google "cereal killer movie".

The difficulty is that "everyone" will say it is stupid. But there is a lot of science to back it up. Once you get the hang of it, you can add some carbs back in before races, very hard sessions.

Why not try it for 60 days and see what happens?
newMan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

Is it information on diet and exercise you are after, or motivation and/or accountability?

Good question. I think motivation and/or accountability?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newMan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

No sh*t!

well, you could perhaps start with less sh1t...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
newMan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

No sh*t!

well, you could perhaps start with less sh1t...

This. It really shouldnt be difficult for anyone doing even minimal training to reach and maintain a healthy weight if you just cut the sh1t from your diet. Eat food not products and you'll find it pretty hard to go wrong. You say all your strategies have failed but i imagine the problem is sticking to the strategy as opposed to the strategies themselves ? Matt Fitzgerald's 'Racing Weight' is a good read. That will cost you less than £10. Otherwise try weight watchers but you probably already know the reason why they make so much money....
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coach for weight loss? Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:
newMan wrote:
All my strategies have failed, and I haven't HTFU, so I thought maybe it's time to use an expert.

A different strategy? Have a google of "banting". For the first few weeks you won't have the energy to train as normal. My running pace fell by about 45s per km to start with. After four weeks I'd got it back. Lost 5kg in that time (and I'm in the normal BMI range). You don't feel hungry.

Professor Tim Noakes tweets a lot about this stuff (LCHF, Keto). https://twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes and posts lots of links - some exercise related but most health related. If you want to find someone who did Ironmans like this then triy this http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/86875777832/becoming-a-bonk-proof-triathlete-fat-chance (he also rowed the Pacific Ocean http://www.fatchancerow.org/). If you prefer films, google "cereal killer movie".

The difficulty is that "everyone" will say it is stupid. But there is a lot of science to back it up. Once you get the hang of it, you can add some carbs back in before races, very hard sessions.

Why not try it for 60 days and see what happens?

and most of that 5kilos would have been water loss!
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newMan wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:

Good question. I think motivation and/or accountability?

I know a guy in the Norwich area, hes an ex bodybuilder and has nutrition coached triathletes and cyclists. Helped Skipper a while back and I believe some elite cyclists also. Hes not cheap and is not a dietitian (which is my usual port of call for this kind of thing) but is good at what he does and is very personable which is half the battle . Check out Ollie Matthews on

https://www.revitalizationblueprint.com/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight wise I have had a breakthrough by going Vegan.

Now the commitment has been made, it's actually easier: chocolate (except 70% dark), most cakes are off the menu not tempting you all the time. I find I can eat a lot but the weight kept falling off and now stays off. There are some decent vegan stuff to eat out there these days and I'm not missing 'meat' or 'dairy'.

I had a 'hard floor' of about 72kg for 3-4 years, just could not get sustainably below that; this year I'm at 68-69 kg and have been for 3 months.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weighed 95 kg 3 years ago (age 44), then I did my first sprint triathlon right at the end of the 2015 season, I did OK and enjoyed myself enough that I wanted to do more

For training, I started to do parkrun every saturday, and joined a tri club who swam twice a week.

Initially my parkrun time were around 29 minutes - roughly mid way. I was also in the second lane of swimming, not fast enough to keep up with the quick triathletes in the club, but not an embarrassingly slow either.

Every week I wanted to get a parkrun PB, I started to watch my portion size, I bought a turbo trainer and spent 30 minutes on it a couple of times a week, no epic changes in life style, no big diet.

In March 2016, I did my first sub 25 min parkrun. I entered the Mad March Triathlon and did it 25 minutes quicker than I managed at the Osprey Sprint 6 months earlier (a lot of the time was down to course being shorter, but never mind details), Over the next 6 months, I entered a triathlon per month, I was in the top third, the top 25%, top 20% and super motivated, my weight fell off. I wasn't doing any specific dieting, I was motivated to do better at triathlon, not to loose weight. By September (1 year after I started) I weighed just under 80kg - 15kg reduction, I did my first long distance triathlon, the New Forest Middle Distance (70.3 Miles) in 5h25m, I was in the top 10% for my age group.

By the end of 2016, I weighed 72kg, I had run a 1h36m half Marathon and a 3h30m Marathon and my Parkrun time was around 21 mins

So why the long reply. Like you I had a problem with weight, I had tried to loose weight and failed to maintain any weight reduction, my weight had gradually been increasing for years. What helped me loose weight and keep the weight off was to have a non weight related goal, but a goal where loosing weight would help me to achieve it

I still eat whatever I want, maybe I want less, I still drink, probably not so much, I am still 72kg, I am super fit, and never felt better and I still have another goal.
Young21M

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Weight wise I have had a breakthrough by going Vegan.

Now the commitment has been made, it's actually easier: chocolate (except 70% dark), most cakes are off the menu not tempting you all the time. I find I can eat a lot but the weight kept falling off and now stays off. There are some decent vegan stuff to eat out there these days and I'm not missing 'meat' or 'dairy'.

I had a 'hard floor' of about 72kg for 3-4 years, just could not get sustainably below that; this year I'm at 68-69 kg and have been for 3 months.

Did you have to take any supplementary ? Protein etc.
Tigger

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Coach for weight loss? Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
and most of that 5kilos would have been water loss!

Some was for sure. But BF% has also come down.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never found anyone willing to coach weight loss. The usual diet clans arenít really geared for it.

I reckon I can probably hold a controlled diet for eight weeks. Canít figure how to get enough protein at the same time though.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: