Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
sinus tarsi syndrome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big vern

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: sinus tarsi syndrome Reply with quote

Hi, my physio suspects I have sinus tarsi syndrome, I get a quite intense stabbing pain in that area when cycling hard. I have found I can moderate this pain slightly by moving my cleats further back towards the heel.

I have had for the past 2 weeks - have rested it for 3 days initially and started back on light gear cycling only but it's persisting.

He states this is one of the few areas he would reccomend a steroid injection - so waiting to see a consulatant who I've been seeing for a different tendon problem on the other ankle.

The link is a recent MRI (taken on both ankles - the sinus tarsi is on the left ankle) done in april prior to any symptoms appearing - is there anything in there that suggests a possible predisposistion to sinus tarsi?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8221655/MRI_April2011.JPG

Can I continue to cycle thought the pain without any major issues (as I understand one of the options is to remove everything in the area anyway - so I amssuming it can't be that improtant - so it's only pain and I'm not damaging any important ankle structures?)
m4tty

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my right ankle during 2009. Only ever bothered me when running, never cycling. Intense/ sharp pain that came on from nowhere and took 2-3 days to settle down. It would then dissappear completely until I tried to run, all would seem OK until 10 minutes into a run and bang!

Took along time to finally get a diagnosis and I eventually had surgery last November 2010 to have the Sinus Tarsi 'cleaned out' and this 'seems' to have cured the problem. It did take alot longer than expected for the ankle to settle down and get confident enough to run again - only started to run last month.

From what I remember, the surgeon basically described the sinus tarsi as being a channel in the ankle where various nerve endings emerge, along with some several small ligaments. Don't think it plays an important part in the stability or structure of the joint so continueing with training is probably worthwhile, pain permitting.

Interestingly MRI's were inconclusive and the surgery was done as a last resort - seems diagnosis if this condition is very hard and involves a bit of guess work.

Hope you get it sorted soon - I know how frustrating an injury it is.
big vern

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and info - very helpful .

Yep - the same pain with me - comes on without warning. I only notice it cycling cause I cant run at the moment with my knees anyway!

After having had a fair few injuries I kinda feel this one isn't likely to resolve itself.

'Luckily' the timing couldn't have been better as I am seeing a foot and ankle consultant on friday about another issue. He has agreed to look at this as well. Did you consider / were you offered any steroid type injection before surgery?
How soon after the clear out were you back walking / cycling?
m4tty

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you've had knee trouble too - same here and I always suspected they ankle trouble was a result of the knee problems I had.

I wasn't offered a steriod injections, not sure why not.

Took about 8 months to finally get a diagnosis after all other possibilities had been ruled out. Even then the surgeon wasn't 100% sure. Was a case of "if this doesn't work I can't think of anything else." - like you I thought is wasn't going to go away on its own.

Could walk on the foot/ankle immediately after surgery but with alot of discomfort. Lots of swelling and some fantastic bruising on my foot & toes!

Took about 3 weeks before it was pain free but continued to niggle for 12 weeks or so.

I made a conscious decision to keep off the running and cycling for 6 months so it fully settled. Have tried to rush back from injury too many times; just isn't worth it. Reckon I could have started cycling within 4-6 weeks if I'd wanted to.
big vern

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - nerver had any injuries which kept me out more than a week or so until my knees went last year (double arthroscopy) since then had achilies, and post tib tendon problems and now this.
I am at the stage of just writing this year off as it's just one thing after another, at least if I try and get this sorted soonest I should be ok for next year. thanks again mate.
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4tty wrote:
Had the same problem with my right ankle during 2009. Only ever bothered me when running, never cycling. Intense/ sharp pain that came on from nowhere and took 2-3 days to settle down. It would then dissappear completely until I tried to run, all would seem OK until 10 minutes into a run and bang!

Took along time to finally get a diagnosis and I eventually had surgery last November 2010 to have the Sinus Tarsi 'cleaned out' and this 'seems' to have cured the problem. It did take alot longer than expected for the ankle to settle down and get confident enough to run again - only started to run last month.

From what I remember, the surgeon basically described the sinus tarsi as being a channel in the ankle where various nerve endings emerge, along with some several small ligaments. Don't think it plays an important part in the stability or structure of the joint so continueing with training is probably worthwhile, pain permitting.

Interestingly MRI's were inconclusive and the surgery was done as a last resort - seems diagnosis if this condition is very hard and involves a bit of guess work.

Hope you get it sorted soon - I know how frustrating an injury it is.

So is it basically the foots version of carpel tunnel syndrome?
ksind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Sinus tarsi problems Reply with quote

it looks like it's been 11 years, but trying to get some insights on my sinus tarsi problem. I was wondering what m4tty's surgeon found during the operation and if the ankle is doing better now, long after the fact?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty hasnt posted for six years

I'd suggest asking in a medical forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: