Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
under saddle double bottle cage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grunta

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: under saddle double bottle cage Reply with quote

Would appreciate advice on which to get. Seems some dont grip the bottles very tightly and bottles jettisoned ! Many thanks ..
stenard

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems before with ejected bottles. Finally bit the bullet and got an xlab gorilla cage, and it's very noticeably more secure.
grunta

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks..will check it out ..
grunta

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard..Gorrilla is just a single cage ? I need a double..but thx again..
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there aren't any double bottle cages. The cages are single then you attach 2 of them to a bracket. Xlab, Profile etc make the brackets for single and/or double.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
As far as I know there aren't any double bottle cages. The cages are single then you attach 2 of them to a bracket. Xlab, Profile etc make the brackets for single and/or double.

Exactly. All cages are just cages. As far as I am aware the saddle mounts just have normal cages attached to them??

I have my single gorilla cage on a dual BTS setup. The other one is just a basic cage that has all my spare tubes, CO2, levers, multitool etc in a vittoria bottle shaped case. I electrical tape that one into the cage.
grunta

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx again..I need to drink a lot so looking at various combos as to where I put my bottles. I'm v much belt & braces & like to carry a spare tyre..End up with pockets seriously overloaded so have got a biggish waist bag. Not that cool but at my age practical issues outweigh looking cool !!
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these and I already have bottle cages.

https://www.acycles.co.uk/tacx-saddle-bottle-cage-clamp-2072.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dHZOvGVHv9wrHcH5X9anb6wp7B-2b8prSRwhkA_nwlNr2fnsLs6Dg0aAm6bEALw_wcB

Takes either one or two cages.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorilla cages cost a lot but they do work. Takes a bit of practice to put bottles back in the cage behind your back though, especially when the cages have strong grip. I'd recommend "normal" Gorilla cages, not the XT version (which is really, really hard to put stuff in to).

Also, since bottle launches are caused by riding over bumps make sure you angle the cages backwards, not straight vertical. I've found about 45 degrees work well. Again, this makes it even harder to put the bottles in, but it's all about practice.

I can NOT recomment the Fizik Tritone standard double attachment. It breaks far too easily which is really annoying in the middle of a race.

I CAN recomment the Xlab Wing series if you need double bottles. I used a Turbo Wing for quite a while which is fairly bombproof but again rather expensive compared to other brands such as the Tacx mentioned above. 2nd hand on eBay might be a place to look.

Just consider that 2 bottles are actually rather heavy so make sure it's something sturdy for when you hit the bumps.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

I can NOT recomment the Fizik Tritone standard double attachment. It breaks far too easily which is really annoying in the middle of a race.

I personally never had an issue, and did some pretty rough races road wise. I did some some photos of ones that had broken on ST though. That said, they've totally changed the design and it is far more sturdy now (I'm currently using it with the updated mistica where the new version comes in the box). Added advantage is that you can have 1 and 2 bottle setups on the new bracket.

https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/tritone-carriage-kit-1.html
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

I CAN recomment the Xlab Wing series if you need double bottles. I used a Turbo Wing for quite a while which is fairly bombproof but again rather expensive compared to other brands such as the Tacx mentioned above.

I saw the xlab range and they do look good but pricey, was hoping the Tacx works well enough whilst being really cheap. If it doesn't then it's only 8 shipped so will get something better.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tacx one for ages and whilst it doesn't look very pretty I never had any trouble functionally.

I'm now using the built in one on a Fabric Tri saddle but have added an adapter so it takes 2 bottles. I haven't used it with 2 heavy bottles yet so will have to see how that works out strength wise.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:

I personally never had an issue, and did some pretty rough races road wise. I did some some photos of ones that had broken on ST though. That said, they've totally changed the design and it is far more sturdy now (I'm currently using it with the updated mistica where the new version comes in the box). Added advantage is that you can have 1 and 2 bottle setups on the new bracket.

https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/tritone-carriage-kit-1.html

That does look a lot better. The old one was pants and left my toolkit scattered across the road... Mad
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minoura behind the saddle thingy with Lezyne Flow cages. Great cages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: