Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Just getting started!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmc611

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Just getting started!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

New member and first post. Looking for advice and to be pointed into the right direction.

I have weight lifted for many years but for the last two years I have lost complete interest. I no longer have any goals/aims within weightlifting, so I want to get into competing in Triathlons.

I have recently started running and cycling. I can comfortably run 5k in 28 minutes and cycle 30km with ave speed of 23kmph.

I really cannot remember the last time I got in the pool. Probably on holidays two years ago. But that was just to cool down lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... How many times a week should I be training? How long should my training sessions last? What should I concentrate on?

I'm looking to compete next year and I feel so pumped for it already!! Thanks all Smile
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just start doing all three sports regularly, no need to overthink it. Try aim for a minimum of two sessions in each sport and don't forget to do brick (run after bike) occasionally. Distance or duration of the session is dependent on the distance of triathlon. Also, why wait until next year, find a late season (pool based?) sprint triathlon in August/September. You'll easily be ready to complete it.

Once you know what you want to achieve then people can help you with training plans etc.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. Itís probably better that youíve lost interest in weight lifting, as the mentality is totally different. Lots of weight lifters come here post once, donít like that itís not like weight training, and are never seen again.

Start easy, build up training distances over time, fit it in around your work schedule.

Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome dmc.

Basic start out before you start splashing any money:
- Get in the pool and see if you float. Smile Then swim 400m (no stops) and see how you feel. Time it if you think that's important, but mostly just see if you can swim 400. If not then get a bit of practice in since that's the lowest number you need to hit.
- Your bike speed is fine for a first triathlon. It'll climb quickly if you start training.
- Your run is perfectly adequate to get started.

So - net result? Basically, if you can swim 400 then get signed up for a local, low key triathlon event with a pool swim. You don't need any kit you don't already have so the only cost will be the entry fee. After that you can see if you actually mean it and want to do triathlon, or if it's just something you thought sounded cool to do. Either decision is fine, but don't splash cash or invest massive time in something you might not like anyway.

With those times you'll definitely not be last anyway, so if you have a competitive nature then really don't worry about that. Just go for the experience.

A word of warning though, if you do like it then it's pretty addictive... Wink

So get signed up and go do it. Simples.
dmc611

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys Smile

I'm currently recovering from damaged ligaments in my ankle/foot so training has been put on the back burner for the last week. I'm absolutely gutted I cant train as I've been thoroughly enjoying it. Tried to go for after a 30km ride today but my ankle felt bad.

Ill take your comments on board and hopefully get back into the swing of things next week. Might have to leave the running for a few more weeks.

I have found a sprint tri in Cardiff at the end of October. Its a fairly flat course. with a lake swim. Thinking of entering this as I should have more time to train in the next month or so (change of jobs).

I've entered the Cardiff 10km so I am atleast competing in one event this year. I have never competed before so its all abit daunting.

Oh and I'm hoping to get in the pool on Monday as I have the day off work Smile I'll try swimming 400m... I highly doubt ill make it though lol.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main reason I suggested a pool sprint tri is because they are a lot less daunting than an open water (OW) swim. OW you need to look up and see where you are going which takes some practice, and there'll be arms flailing around you which takes a bit of getting used to (you'll take a few knocks, fairly unavoidable).

And also, there are 400m pool sprint tri's around where as an OW sprint will be 750m.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: