Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Javier Gomez Ironman Debut - Cairns June 10th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Javier Gomez Ironman Debut - Cairns June 10th Reply with quote

Chances of him having the traditional AG-er IM Debut with IM shuffle from mile 16 due to overbiking and departing from nutrition strategy?

Decent field, with Wurf to blow the race apart on the bike and a number of solid pro's like Bozzone, O'Donnell lurking if Gomez messes up.

For anyone on ST, it would be worth noting the Lionel would have stayed on his toes in the swim, destroyed him on the bike and then run 2:35 had he raced but will do this in Kona instead.

Wink
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah looking forward to this.
Something tells me he's going to do alright, but i wouldn't bet past Bozzone on the form he's in. I'd say a podium will be a good shout for Gomez. I'd personally like to see him do well.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really he could, perhaps should, do more than 'alright'

Frodo was competitive at IM from the off, and he was chased out of ITU because Gomez and the B's had raised the bar beyond what he was capable of.

I think he's won 9 out of 11 70.3's, including two world championships, all off the back of a season training and racing ITU and he's now focussing fully on long course. Expect bike position, kit and nutrition to be dialled in more than we've seen yet. He's never blown in the heat, and is lightly raced compared to ITU days.

With his swim he gets to sit on his watts on the bike and let others burn matches chasing - Frodo's Kona strategy. Back end of the marathon will be an unknown obviously, but with his 10k/HIM speed he's not likely to have go 'fast' by his standards to run down the uber biker (Wurf) plus a smaller gap to the likes of Bozzone if they are even ahead.

Once ahead, he's very good at 'doing enough' risk free. I think he wins, and a few other Kona hopefuls are going to have to work out what to do....

But always some unknowns stepping up so it'll be interesting for sure...
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's also fairly resillient injury wise I think, hope that hasn't cursed him but his run form is very good for the speed he carries, AB is fast but not the prettiest runner you'll see.

Kona is going to get more interesting, and the fact that Frodo has already laid a marker a couple of times this season is good.

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you were to design an ITU athlete most ideally suited to stepping up to be a serious Kona contender, it would be pretty close to Javier Gomez.

Only thing you can really say about Gomez is whether his bike is strong enough, and it's easier to work on that than run speed or swim. AB has the tools in all 3 disciplines but that injury record, running style and occasional heat/nutrition issues count against him, KOna would uncover any weakness in these for sure.

Frodo seems to be on a demolition tour this year, knocking off all those who would have run past him last year in Kona one by one to show them he's still the daddy. Also he seems to be going gun to tape this year - really pushing the bike rather than banking on his run, which I think means he's going to try and hitch onto the Hawi express train to put time into the uber runners Lange/McNamee/Gomez.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought Jonny looked more suited to long course than Ali in terms of build, resilience etc (although he's had a few injuries of late)

I wonder if staying in ITU (presumably hoping to clean up now Ali has gone) might be a mistake and continuing to train together for long course would have a seen a role reversal.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Jonny interviewed on Test Match special last week and there really was no hint of any desire to go long course, although he may have better fundamentals than AB.

He more or less admitted he couldn't beat his brother, and therefore sees this as his chance in ITU and especially Tokyo if/while AB is absent.

Trouble is there's some running guns coming through (Birtwhistle, Scheoman etc) and he would have to outrun them as I can't see many decisive bike breaks without AB there pulling and organising them. Jonny's not had that running form for 2-3 years.

I also still think AB will go for Tokyo - the mixed relay is a massive additional pull and I'm not sure the soloing of long course floats his boat as much. It may depend on the Tokyo course.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tracking the ST thread on this as well. To be fair it's stayed reasonably LS free, though they have been trying their best to get a love in going on Josh Amberger (but they're also rating Gomez).

I'm looking forward to see how it pans out.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I heard Jonny interviewed on Test Match special last week and there really was no hint of any desire to go long course, although he may have better fundamentals than AB.

He more or less admitted he couldn't beat his brother, and therefore sees this as his chance in ITU and especially Tokyo if/while AB is absent.

Trouble is there's some running guns coming through (Birtwhistle, Scheoman etc) and he would have to outrun them as I can't see many decisive bike breaks without AB there pulling and organising them. Jonny's not had that running form for 2-3 years.

I also still think AB will go for Tokyo - the mixed relay is a massive additional pull and I'm not sure the soloing of long course floats his boat as much. It may depend on the Tokyo course.

I agree. I think AB will have the confidence to think that he can peak on one more bog occasion for the chance at 2 x more golds (though i think the Aussies will be hard to beat in the relays, maybe the Americans as well). After all, he's in no rush to commit to LC forever.

Still ... who knows eh?!
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 8 and 2nd place with a 2:41 run split. The winner ran 2:39. Terrenzo in 3rd.
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some debut !
Wow
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike split wasn't shoddy either, not sure what the course\conditions were like but I suspect he was in a lead pack after that swim time and probably didn't want to drag them along.

Can't help thinking there's more to come.

second for Carfrae as well, probably just stamping her Kona ticket.

Jeff
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a shame to have missed the race on the live text owing to the time differences, as it seemed like a good battle between the top 3/4.

A good day for the kiwis with two podiums for the men and a gold for the women. And yeah, an impressive return for Rinny. Though Ryf also stamped her authority on her first race back in a fair while (albeit a 70.3).

I agree with what you say though Jeff, there's more to come from Gomez there for sure. So much talent at the moment in the pro ranks (i'm sure there always is ... maybe just over the years i'm becoming more informed!)
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looked a great race by the splits. Breakout performance from Currie; you'd assume Gomez' 7:56 with 2:41 on the run would have been good enough. Sub 8 on debut though, remarkable.

Seems there is now a cluster of guys who can run close to/around 2:40 off a front pack bike so a run of around 2:48-2:50 doesn't cut it any more. To win a championship race with that you'll need to bike yourself 8-10 mins ahead.
newMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrenzo has been in very good shape this year so very good from the top 2 or did he over race?

I didn't have Currie as being able to drop Gomez on a run!

Needless to say pretty impressive debut for Gomez. I'm sure he has learned about the distance and will come back stronger (as he is already fast enough)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: