Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Marathon Fraud
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Marathon Fraud Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44564612
Quote:
London Marathon cheat Stanislaw Skupian jailed for fraud

A jail sentence seems a bit harsh, but now the precedent has been set can we at least get the same punishment applied to drafters ? Twisted Evil
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the guy who didnít finish but got £49k sponsorship should be done for fraud.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 13 weeks in jail for finding a number that's fallen off another runner and running across the finish line Shocked The penalty seems disproportionate for the offence.

Someone I know created a fake number, used someone else's real entry to blag a "replacement" timing chip from the expo and ran the whole race. He'd be on for a 10 year stretch if he got caught Wink
Symes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Wow, 13 weeks in jail for finding a number that's fallen off another runner and running across the finish line Shocked The penalty seems disproportionate for the offence.

Especially when you take into account the three weeks for three thefts. I know which crime I'd prefer to see punished more heavily

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Whisk wrote:

Especially when you take into account the three weeks for three thefts. I know which crime I'd prefer to see punished more heavily

That is literally utter madness. The disparity between those sentences makes our sentencing system somewhat laughable.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Whisk wrote:

you have to be pretty dumb to get caught these days....apparently only 5% of crimes are punished now iirc from last weekend's news..

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in an airport would be a fairly good way to get caught.

I suspect the judge was considering all the offences when he decided the sentencing. Having a primary school ID card on you is not an indication of good character.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iaincognito wrote:
Surely the guy who didnít finish but got £49k sponsorship should be done for fraud.

You could suggest that to the DM Laughing

Last edited by Jorgan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we stand on people wearing Ironman merchandise when they haven't done the full 140.6? What about wearing replica football shirts? They're the same thing, and yet one is obviously more 'misleading' than the other.

Must be a slow news day....
fruit thief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Where do we stand on people wearing Ironman merchandise when they haven't done the full 140.6?

On their heads Wink
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Where do we stand on people wearing Ironman merchandise when they haven't done the full 140.6?

On their heads Wink

Or anyone wearing TdF team gear ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
fruit thief wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

On their heads Wink

The assumption with replica kit is almost always that you're not a pro though.

Incidentally, wearing military uniforms and medals you're not entitled to, is actually an offence under UK law. A few 'walts' have been caught out on that one; but then they are the ones who have just created very conspicuous personas.

Last edited by Jorgan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Where do we stand on ... wearing replica football shirts??

The former is culturally standard globally. There's no false representation there. And for that reason, I've said before, I don't really see the issue in a cycling context either.

I ride in plain kit, or my club kit. Yet I have a Team GB jersey I wore when supporting the Olympics on Box Hill in 2012, and I have a couple of TdF supporters jerseys I have worn when going to certain stages of the Tour in France. I really don't see the issue.

I totally get the no-pro team kit requirements for things like road races, CTT events etc, as those are actual "races" where legitimate pro team riders could technically race. But the derision cast over cyclists who choose to wear team kit on a weekend social ride is totally unjustified. Most will be newer riders, who've got into the sport through following on TV, and have chosen to take that support out onto the road. Given the football/rugby/cricket culture where wearing club shirts is almost standard, doing the same for cycling would seem almost logical to most.

We should be encouraging them and guiding them towards joining local clubs (where they then might buy a local club jersey), not pointing and laughing at them for breaking some psuedo-cycling only taboo.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I have a Team GB jersey I wore when supporting the Olympics on Box Hill in 2012

A good friend of mine competed for GB at the 2000, 2004 and 2008 Olympics and she was very much against the fact that Adidas were selling full replica team kit ahead of 2012. For her, part of the Olympic experience was collecting your Olympic kit having worked hard for 4 years and earned the right to wear it. The fact that anyone could go into a shop and buy the same kit devalued it for her somehow.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
stenard wrote:
I have a Team GB jersey I wore when supporting the Olympics on Box Hill in 2012

A good friend of mine competed for GB at the 2000, 2004 and 2008 Olympics and she was very much against the fact that Adidas were selling full replica team kit ahead of 2012. For her, part of the Olympic experience was collecting your Olympic kit having worked hard for 4 years and earned the right to wear it. The fact that anyone could go into a shop and buy the same kit devalued it for her somehow.

I often see Team GB Olympic replica kit; normally it's obvious this is just merchandise, but it is a shame for people like your friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: