Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New Turbo advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: New Turbo advice Reply with quote

Ok, so I am moving house and have the opportunity to turn the garage into a proper training space. I have a Tacx Satori Smart right now but fancy an upgrade.

The ones that are turning my head at the moment are...
> Tacx Flux
> Wahoo Kickr
> Elite Direto

The Elite seems the best mix of function and value but I am happy to take advice from those who have these (or other options). Really 600 is my max. I can get the flux or direto brand new for that, the kickr will likely need to be 2nd hand.

Any thoughts?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a power meter? Whilst fully smart (FE-C) trainers are great for stuff like Zwift, they are no use for anything else i.e. the road. You could buy a new PM for less than any of these Fully-Smart Trainers, or a Dual sided one for just over 600. You can use a PM with training apps, although you obviously won't have remote controlled variable resistance.

I've just ordered some Favero Assioma (dual) pedals, and am sticking with my 'dumb' Satori for now. Then I have power on all bikes, on & off the trainer. The Power 2 Max will be for sale in September - if anyone's interested.
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got a power meter but I am tempted by the idea of vector 3 when I have saved up.

The reason for a smart turbo is that I get bored easily and at least zwift can keep me entertained - crap reason I know but if it means I stay connected and actually train when I can, after work, when it is dark and cold then I see it as a positive.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
I've not got a power meter but I am tempted by the idea of vector 3 when I have saved up.

The reason for a smart turbo is that I get bored easily and at least zwift can keep me entertained - crap reason I know but if it means I stay connected and actually train when I can, after work, when it is dark and cold then I see it as a positive.

I use Zwift, although not very much during summer & now I'm bike commuting - but I do this using a PM. Whilst the Vector 3 looks the most appealing pedal option nowadays, I'd do some Google research & look at the user forums, as I think like a lot of Garmin kit, there are a lot of firmware & teething issues even on their 3rd attempt. That's why I went Favero and saved 200 as well.
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged, I will check out that option.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Jorgan. You will ultimately get more from a power meter for every day use. You can still use training platforms with non-smart turbos. Admittedly, it's not quite as good by all accounts, but if you get used to having power on a smart turbo and then don't have it outdoors, you'll find that more frustrating in the long run.

Like Jorgan, I still just have a dumb trainer at home. Every time I think about buying a smart one, there is something else I'd rather spend the money on.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb trainer and separate powermeter.

Get dumb trainer, kinetic road machine recommended, and use virtual power to start with.

You'll then realise after a short time you'll want a powermeter.

Then get a powermeter which you can use for both on the road and with the dumb trainer (zwift / Trainerroad).
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TACX NEO, I use it with Zwift in dumb trainer mode simply because zwift is too #@?# to use it properly (it assumes you have a CdA of a bus, so the inertia is way off and you don't get the benefits of having a smart trainer)
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
Get dumb trainer, ..., and use virtual power to start with.

You'll then realise after a short time you'll want a powermeter.

Then get a powermeter which you can use for both on the road and with the dumb trainer (zwift / Trainerroad).

Exactly the route I followed.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the OP needs to start a 'What Power Meter' thread now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: