Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New (11sp) disk or keep the old one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: New (11sp) disk or keep the old one? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Iím hoping to get myself back into the world of Tri. I went soft for a few years with Ultra running, but Iím back now Very Happy

Anyway, I need a new bike (frame/drivetrain) but have a problem in that Iím told my sub9 zipp disk (circa 2008) can not be converted to handle 11sp shimano. I either get a new bike with 9/10sp, or sell of the disk and buy a new one.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Tahr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted a few 11 speed cassettes to fit 10 speed Shimano hubs, is that why your sub 9 wheel won't work?

It is a easy job to machine 1.6mm off the 11 speed cassette.

ATB

Tahr.

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this whole 2018 year of the comeback thing is getting out-of-hand Very Happy

Am I correct in thinking the only decent bit of kit you have is the Sub9, and you are potentially going to make your decision around that?

If you have the money, I would start from scratch with 11sp (soon to be 12!) and sell the disc..... If not, then 10sp is still perfectly acceptable, people were winning the TdF on it 10 years ago. Let's be honest, the top aero bikes of the 10 speed era, are not really any slower than now, and you can use 10sp on any current frame you like anyway, and upgrade to 11/12 later on. Or you could get a cassette machined as above, if that does indeed work - then you're sorted.

I'd comb Ebay for a decent used TT bike; something like a Speed Concept, Felt IA or the new shape P2 or P3, or maybe the P4 if it fits - but they are a rare find. You can use 10 or 11 on that.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machining the cassette will make it fit the hub but it also depends how much room you have between the rear derailleur and the body of the disk.

I have a 10sp HED disc and the RD almost touches the skin now (to the extent that it made contact with a sticker I put on there) so don't think I could ever fit a machined 11 speed cassette to it.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys,

Having thought about it I will probably look for a decent (1-2yr old) second hand disk. No rush.
Iíll sell the old sub9, probably with my racing bike. Itís in good race shape, just needs a front wheel.
I did think there must be a way to convert with a bit of diy, but neither of my trusted bike shops mentionned it so will keep it Ďconventionalí.

Anyone interested in a nice blue/white Orbea TT bike with sub9 disk, itíll no doubt be on Classifides soon.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys,

Having thought about it I will probably look for a decent (1-2yr old) second hand disk. No rush.
Iíll sell the old sub9, probably with my racing bike. Itís in good race shape, just needs a front wheel.
I did think there must be a way to convert with a bit of diy, but neither of my trusted bike shops mentionned it so will keep it Ďconventionalí.

Anyone interested in a nice blue/white Orbea TT bike with sub9 disk, itíll no doubt be on Classifides soon.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

Ultimately, I think you'll find it easier to shift them separately; the Sub9 is niche kit - is it tubular too?
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Daz wrote:

Ultimately, I think you'll find it easier to shift them separately; the Sub9 is niche kit - is it tubular too?

Will take your word on that J, cheers.

Btw another otion came up during a call today. Shop building new bike said they could deactivate a gear, so sub9 disk could be used with 10sp cassette. Rest of drivetrain 11sp. But time for a new wheel i think instead of faffing around the issue
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed drivetrain but you can remove a sprocket from an 11 speed to create a kind of 10/11 speed hybrid.

Google Dark Speed Works (if you do decide to go down that route) for instructions on what to do as I think you need a specific 11 speed cassette and not just any cog/spacer either.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Edco monobloc 11-speed cassette will work on a 10-speed hub. It's machined from a single piece of metal, so you can use a longer-threaded lock ring to get over the fact that the cassette is wider than the free hub body.

They're a bit pricey, but cheaper than a new wheel.
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats what I was asvised. More cost effective at this point in time but the sub9 loses sell on valie the more I keep it so decided to sell off race bike and sub9 and get another decent wheel to replace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: