Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The MAMIL Ego....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

Or perhaps that should just be the 'male' ego. But since my observations revolve around endurance sport, it's pretty much all middle-aged men.

For a long time, with some amusement (and frustration) I've observed the behaviours of the MAMIL in the pool, most notably lane swimming. I can't be the only one! Most notably:

- picking the 'Fast Lane' as the default choice, because if you can throw a few front crawl strokes...'you got it' right?
- Failing to give-way at the end of a length, because 'there's no way anyone can need to pass me', I'm an Ironman' (guys with IM tats seem to be the worst)
- the need to make a dive entry Laughing and so on..........

But now I'm back in the cycle commuting game, I've been reacquainted with the road-going commuter MAMIL ego. You know, the guy on his lightweight road bike, clearly got biking legs, grinding out a low cadence. He's spotted you a while back, and is homing-in on you like a heat-seeking missile. He makes the pass, then, after getting about 50-100m ahead of you, he appears to run out of gas Laughing Very Happy

I can only imagine if you threw BBQing into the mix, it would get insane.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a phenomenon that is restricted to endurance sports...it is easily described by the now outlawed evolutionary biologists...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about my ego, but my sense of self-worth as a man certainly took a big boost when I fixed our washing machine a few months ago Very Happy

Ironically, today we have a new one being delivered, as after a second successful repair, the motor has finally expired.... as has my patience. Still, 11 years of abuse, particularly the last 8 with kids, it's given good service. My wife attempting a fourth wash that day finally killed it. But Bosch appliances of the mid-00s get the thumbs-up. Let's see how the new one fares.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, men must have a 'repair circuit' that triggers when things get fixed...

stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind about the cycle commuting people so much. They don't really impact me. The only time it gets slightly annoying is having gone past someone, only for them to pull up at some lights I've stopped at and position themselves directly in front of me.

Swimming on the other hand, is really grating me at the moment. My gym pool has historically been really rather civilised with a handful of regular swimmers who all roughly know each others paces and we all accommodate each other pretty well.

However this summer, it seems like everyone has decided they are going to start swimming, and everything you observe above is happening (bar the diving in - it's only about a metre deep!). Why people seem to think the lane speed boards don't apply to them confuses me. Lane swimming works really well if everyone in a lane swims broadly similar speeds. You can have 5,6,7+ in a lane, and it runs pretty smoothly. Yet people seem to think the most important thing is having a nice "spread" of people among the lanes. So the medium lane might have four in it, the fast lane just two, and a head up breast stroker somehow considers the fast lane to be the appropriate place to insert themselves. Cue agro in the fast lane as the other two have to barge past at speed.

There's also a massive lack of awareness of newer swimmers. They seem to think they can swim at whatever speed they like and everyone else has to live with that. When I first started swimming, and even now when a fast fish turns up, I was totally aware of everyone else around me and could tell if someone else was catching me. I pull over to the side once they get within a metre or so and let them past. I've recently had multiple people I've never seen in the pool before refuse to let people past, meaning you have to sprint past them into the wall, and even then they seem to see it as a slight on their ability and will try their utmost to get a strong push off to prevent you getting in front. The first time, maybe I understand. But when I'm overtaking the same person once every 5 or 6 lengths, you'd think they'd just accept things.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week just as I was finishing ploughing up & down on my own in the fast lane, a lady got in and starting doing slow breast stroke. The lifeguard was straight out of his chair to ask her to move, although I confirmed I was done and getting out anyway. It's a Nuffield gym, so maybe you get what you pay for? Wink Very Happy

There have been times in my local public pool (pretty good for lane swimming availability) where there have been 4-5 blokes in the fast lane and the medium has been empty; I don't hesitate in moving across, hoping that perhaps it might make the slower occupants of the fast lane think Rolling Eyes
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Still, 11 years of abuse, particularly the last 8 with kids, it's given good service.

No wonder it packed up if you were washing the kids in it. Rolling Eyes
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Or perhaps that should just be the 'male' ego. But since my observations revolve around endurance sport, it's pretty much all middle-aged men.

For a long time, with some amusement (and frustration) I've observed the behaviours of the MAMIL in the pool, most notably lane swimming. I can't be the only one! Most notably:

- picking the 'Fast Lane' as the default choice, because if you can throw a few front crawl strokes...'you got it' right?
- Failing to give-way at the end of a length, because 'there's no way anyone can need to pass me', I'm an Ironman' (guys with IM tats seem to be the worst)
- the need to make a dive entry Laughing and so on..........

But now I'm back in the cycle commuting game, I've been reacquainted with the road-going commuter MAMIL ego. You know, the guy on his lightweight road bike, clearly got biking legs, grinding out a low cadence. He's spotted you a while back, and is homing-in on you like a heat-seeking missile. He makes the pass, then, after getting about 50-100m ahead of you, he appears to run out of gas Laughing Very Happy

I can only imagine if you threw BBQing into the mix, it would get insane.

The swim lane hoggers are the one thing that drives me up the wall. Particularly the turn-in front ignoramuses but also the decent swimmers who don't have the decency to move into an appropriate lane when they are doing kick or scull drills slower than the lane pace.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of this happens with such regularity at my pool I couldn't let it keep getting to me. You need to shrug it off a little or It would ruin my swims.

The only thing that still properly makes me blow up swimming is when someone slower than me, on a rest, pushes off seconds before my turn.

They have been in the lane a while, I have overtaken them several times, they know I'm turning and in a few secs will be gone. What the hell makes them push off at that point! Waiting is better for both of us. I'm clear, They don't have a rabid idiot behind them tapping out my stroke on their toes, everyone is happy, but they have to push off at that exact moment!

I can live with most things, but that is just beyond me. And it happens with alarming frequency!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there are the occasional groups (rarely all MAMILs), who should know better, but decide to stand and chat between sets blocking the wall. Particularly bugs me when there are 3-4 people strung out and you can't overtake - they basically hog the lane.

Being able to tumble-turn is definitely a useful skill, to help make people think twice before they jump into the lane, or push-off in front of you.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Ha ha, had one of those this morning, even doing a track stand* in front of me at the red lights after I caught him

*if it was anyone on here, it was rather impressive Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Still, 11 years of abuse, particularly the last 8 with kids, it's given good service.

No wonder it packed up if you were washing the kids in it. Rolling Eyes

The wife does tend to overload the machine, don't give her ideas Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our 50m pool is pretty much empty...

the 25m pool is mayhem with no attempt at lane discipline...

mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't deny that I am a MAMIL

On my daily commute to work, my favourite activity is hunting down e-bikes, usually they don't present a massive challenge, however, once in a while you get a newer 45kmh e-bike, they are quicker up hill, however, as they are limited to 45kph you catch them again downhill, then quite happily draft them at 45kph before leaving them behind on a final sprint. Managed a excellent race with one over 20km this morning, and secured 2 KOMs.

I suspect that I am displaying the MAMIL Ego that Jorgan is referring to

However, I am generous as well, often I pick up slower riders who sit behind drafting me, rather than trying to drop them I adjust my speed so that they can hang on.... so long as they are not on TT bikes, then I try hard to drop them
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

I suspect that I am displaying the MAMIL Ego that Jorgan is referring to

That Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: