Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The MAMIL Ego....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyS..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
...and secured 2 KOMs.

Strava is a world of MAMIL ego. This morning I hammered it through a segment, got home to check where I was and achieved 60km/h average and 714w power. Good stuff. However the current top three are:

1. 215 km/h
2. 166 km/h
3. 136 km/h
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pool lane discipline, or lack of, really boils my piss. Slow people pushing off as you are about to turn is the worst.

My pool has a lot of morons. One guy always without fail gets in the fast lane, regardless of what the other lanes are like. He then swims for about 45 mins, constantly without stops, badly. Will never let you go at the end. Does my nut in.

A few months ago there was 3 of us in the fast lane, all swimming roughly the same pace. Woman gets in and starts swim a properly good 7-8 secs a length (25m) slower than the rest. Refuses to let anyone go, we all ended up swimming into each other trying to overtake the silly bint. The pool wasnt even that busy and there were two other lanes. Almost like she was doing on purpose.

Never really had any issue with other cyclists. Other than the miserable sods who don't nod or say anything when you pass coming the other way.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Or perhaps that should just be the 'male' ego. But since my observations revolve around endurance sport, it's pretty much all middle-aged men.

For a long time, with some amusement (and frustration) I've observed the behaviours of the MAMIL in the pool, most notably lane swimming. I can't be the only one! Most notably:

- picking the 'Fast Lane' as the default choice, because if you can throw a few front crawl strokes...'you got it' right?
- Failing to give-way at the end of a length, because 'there's no way anyone can need to pass me', I'm an Ironman' (guys with IM tats seem to be the worst)
- the need to make a dive entry Laughing and so on..........

But now I'm back in the cycle commuting game, I've been reacquainted with the road-going commuter MAMIL ego. You know, the guy on his lightweight road bike, clearly got biking legs, grinding out a low cadence. He's spotted you a while back, and is homing-in on you like a heat-seeking missile. He makes the pass, then, after getting about 50-100m ahead of you, he appears to run out of gas Laughing Very Happy

I can only imagine if you threw BBQing into the mix, it would get insane.

It's not really any different to when a tri-antelope gets their ego massaged by a linear FTP and then decide because they knew a guy that once watched the TdF they will 'have a go' at road (or even worse) crit racing. Only then to discover that bike handling and an ability to spike into four figures on a regular basis is required. Wink

They either shoot out the back, or freak out when shoulders and bars start banging and bring everyone down. they don't tell you that bit on Zwift Wink Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

I suspect that I am displaying the MAMIL Ego that Jorgan is referring to

That Laughing

But I do let faster swimmers pass

The fast lane is always tough, If I am swimming 2000m @1:50/100m I am slower than the fast swimmers doing 200m or 400m sets at 1:30/100m, unfortunately the next lane is full of swimmers doing 2:15/100m
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
It's not really any different to when a tri-antelope gets their ego massaged by a linear FTP and then decide because they knew a guy that once watched the TdF they will 'have a go' at road (or even worse) crit racing. Only then to discover that bike handling and an ability to spike into four figures on a regular basis is required. Wink

They either shoot out the back, or freak out when shoulders and bars start banging and bring everyone down. they don't tell you that bit on Zwift Wink Very Happy

....and you managed not to mention moto racing Very Happy Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Never really had any issue with other cyclists. Other than the miserable sods who don't nod or say anything when you pass coming the other way.

There's no issue with the cycling bit, it's just interesting to see the dynamic, and them blowing-up, or sprinting past and then putting on the anchors straight into a business park Laughing
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The MAMIL Ego.... Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

....and you managed not to mention moto racing Very Happy Wink

Not really relevant is it.

My moto racing days help my handling but plenty of cycle racers have good skills just through actually racing, rather than strava %$£%.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Pool lane discipline, or lack of, really boils my piss. Slow people pushing off as you are about to turn is the worst.

My pool has a lot of morons. One guy always without fail gets in the fast lane, regardless of what the other lanes are like. He then swims for about 45 mins, constantly without stops, badly. Will never let you go at the end. Does my nut in.

A few months ago there was 3 of us in the fast lane, all swimming roughly the same pace. Woman gets in and starts swim a properly good 7-8 secs a length (25m) slower than the rest. Refuses to let anyone go, we all ended up swimming into each other trying to overtake the silly bint. The pool wasnt even that busy and there were two other lanes. Almost like she was doing on purpose.

I've just told people to get out of the fast lane in the past. I start with the very British line of "I don't meant to be rude, but ..." and then am very matter of fact about the way lanes work.

The only issue is when I'm in the middle of, say, a long 2.5k continuous swim. I can't be bothered to stop and talk at them in a session like that, so if they don't let me me pass when it's logical to do so, or are deliberately annoying, I will pass them closer and closer and squeeze them more and more into the lane rope when doing so, and hope they get the message. Dickish move maybe, but as I said before, when I first started swimming, I tried to be as courteous as possible to anyone (most people!) who were faster than me, and I have no time for anyone who doesnt show the same level of decency to others.

In almost the converse of FatPom's tri cyclist v road cyclist post, you find most tri swimmers are happy with some element of swim contact from the mass starts we contend with. Recreational, ignorant swimmers, not so much. I have to say compared to Jorgan's OP, I don't find much issue with anyone who indicates a triathlon focus (a Garmin or equivalent being the main giveaway).
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private pools are fine because there arenít enough people to get annoyed.

The Public pool I used the last couple of months is just a free for all. Apparently the middle aged slow swimmers donít want to share a lane with the pension age slow swimmers so thereís slow breastroke all over the shop.

I donít really mind but it is really poor form to see a guy FC approaching his turn and then set off with your ďcanít get my hair wetĒ stroke.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Private pools are fine because there arenít enough people to get annoyed.

The Public pool I used the last couple of months is just a free for all. Apparently the middle aged slow swimmers donít want to share a lane with the pension age slow swimmers so thereís slow breastroke all over the shop.

I donít really mind but it is really poor form to see a guy FC approaching his turn and then set off with your ďcanít get my hair wetĒ stroke.

I don't mind contact in the swim but don't go looking for it. I look forward to rough choppy swims the most as that's what I'm used to.

Pool wise, I'm a member of a private pool/gym. Sometimes the sessions are an awkward time and shorter than I like but it beats swimming with the hoi poloi. Lane discipline is very good, been swimming there for 2 yrs and never had an issue.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be a MAMIL in your 20s? Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've certainly found now I'm the member of a Health Club with a pool, it's quieter, and available nearly all the time for lane swimming. Yesterday though, a woman who was in the Medium lane stopped to chat to the lifeguard, and as I swam past between them & splashed her she recoiled and pulled a face: it's a swimming pool ffs Rolling Eyes Laughing
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a private gym but generally managed to avoid too much of this, only seen an odd time over about 8 years.

There are regularly breaststrokers in the lanes despite the other half of the pool being empty, but if you time it right you can usually get a lane to yourself or share with someone. Often we'll just have half a lane.

TBH, a lot of us know each other and swimming ability and generally talk to each other. If there is a granny in the lane I ask to use half and often they get out fairly soon anyway. If we have half each you don't have to keep overtaking. Me personally, if I'm swimming with someone I know is faster and know they are coming, I'll let them past at the end of the lane, I don't want to hold them up.

I will confess to often going in the fast lane, partly because it's the one that's usually free and also because it's near the timing in clock and I'm blind as a bat!

I don't really commute, living in a small town oop north! When I go out cycling you do get some people with a bit of an ego thing, but I sometimes switch off and someone will go flying past me.

There's too many good cyclists locally to try and race them all the time!

Jeff
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

There's no issue with the cycling bit, it's just interesting to see the dynamic, and them blowing-up, or sprinting past and then putting on the anchors straight into a business park Laughing

I don't get passed on the bike Very Happy Very Happy

When I see other cyclists ahead all I see is a target. So I am probably one of the MAMIL egotists of which you speak Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
When I see other cyclists ahead all I see is a target. So I am probably one of the MAMIL egotists of which you speak Smile

As long as you don't run out of steam after your display of 'dominance' then you'll not look like a muppet Very Happy

JeffB wrote:
Often we'll just have half a lane

I know many people like to do this, but in busier pools, I just find that a bit of a PITA when another person turns up; if you're circling, then anyone else can just jump in. If there are two of you circling, I find it easy enough to overtake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: