Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Powermeter options - anyone up to date?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Powermeter options - anyone up to date? Reply with quote

New bike, so time to hunt for a powermeter again.

Sold the old one with a 4iiii l/h which was brilliant and far better than the crap Stages I have had before (both of which broke down with battery drain).

New bike has a BB30 which leaves quite a few options it seems.

So I can go crank based (e.g. Power2Max) and pay 700 (or more) from new, or 5-600 on eBay for somewhat trustworthy kit.

Or I think I can add a BB30-to-24mm adapter and use any Shimano based chainset? That would mean I can simply get an Ultegra and add a 4iiii again which would be some 3-400 max for the lot. Would the change from the bike supplied FSA SLK carbon crankset to an Ultegra even be noticable?

I am completely discarding the idea of getting a Stages to fit the FSA SLK, and it doesn't look like any other left-only makes supports carbon cranks.

What's the latest on the affordable-but-reliable power meter market?
r0bh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a BB30 to 24mm adapter with no problems at all to run a 105 chainset on a BB30 BB, can't see any reason not to go down this route.

The adapter I have is by Wheels Manufacturing: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-to-24mm-crank-spindle-shims/
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would suggest getting a full power meter, not left only. But I guess it depends on how important the cash saving is. That's simply because of the variability most people have been observed to have in the L/R balance as you progress through power zones. So whilst you might be 50/50 up to threshold, at VO2max you might be offset, and that would skew training zone quite a lot.

If you're spending the money, why not get all the data as opposed to an approximation? I have two P2M's, and they have literally been a case of install, and use. Numbers stable, except for when the battery gets low.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the new BePro Assioma dual sided pedals; they got a good review iirc.
jabba1977ad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Favero pedals, the BePro waas their first model, the Assioma the updated (and current) model.

I've had both, and both are great. The BePro can be found very cheap second hand.

There are a couple of disadvantages to the BePro:

1. no Bluetooth
2. After each installation, and every so often, you need to do a dynamic calibration - this involves pedalling backwards for 10 cycles, then forwards at 80rpm for 40s. Easy on a trainer, not so easy on the road, and I found it a PITA.

You'll maybe read about tricky installation with the BePro - that's not true at all, it took me the same time as the Assiomas. You just have to orientate the pedal with the crank correctly, and tighten a ring onto the pedal rather than the pedal itself. It's very easy.

Both had accurate power vs my Tacx NEO and Powertap. (Neo and PT were constistently 5-10W lower than the pedals, to be expected.

imho it's the best power solution available for the price.
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the power meter, but I installed a Praxis Works BB30 to Shimano conversion and it's ace Cool
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this.

New bike for me next Winter, after a few laps of the IMUK 47 mile loop i have seen the light on the Powermeter debate.

Its so up, down, left, right, stop, start........ keeping to a HR is going to be very difficult.

Power is the obvious answer, i hate tech... it never works well for me.

Do they still do wired meters through the crank? Old fashioned now?

Anyone do bikes with built in meters?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:

Do they still do wired meters through the crank? Old fashioned now?

Anyone do bikes with built in meters?

Unless you go on ebay, you won't find wired ones available now. Trust me, wireless is way preferable. Pedals are the easiest and most convenient, from a fit & forget perspective, and being able to swap between bikes.
smarkgee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Powermeter options - anyone up to date? Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

What's the latest on the affordable-but-reliable power meter market?

single sided 4iiii or stages on a 105 crank would be cheapest+ **sensible** ...no? I think they are relasing new generations of more expensive options so if you can grab the previous generation that might be cheap?

single sided assioma would mean you prob dont have to think about crank compatability but you'd have to endure look cleats. P1 seem to be on sale more often.

I have assioma and like them but they were not the cheapest. ZERO PROBLEMS
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Powermeter options - anyone up to date? Reply with quote

smarkgee wrote:
but you'd have to endure look cleats.

What do you use in preference? I've always ridden Look, or SPD.
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WatTeam Powerbeat G3? Just written about by DCR, but not out for a few months. 540 for a crank-based setup (that you install yourself on your own cranks) for 2 bikes (pods with the computer bits can be moved from bike to bike). Looks like a decent shout to me. Not quite as portable as pedal-based systems, but if you want power on 2 specific bikes then it could be a good choice. 370 for single bike L/R.

[edit] Can get 10% off at Clever Training with a DCR code too, so under 500 for the 2x2 and under 350 for the dual.

Last edited by JoeNobody on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of those before, thanks.

I ended up with two options, some P1 and a P2M, both 2nd hand. In the end I have opted for the P2M since I don't really need the dual-sided information but merely pacing, and it will be half to a third of the P1 price.

Can't swap it around but for the price difference I can get a second PM for the TT bike should I need it, and install both for permanent use.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

I ended up with two options, some P1 and a P2M, both 2nd hand. In the end I have opted for the P2M since I don't really need the dual-sided information but merely pacing, and it will be half to a third of the P1 price.

Power2Max does dual-sided readings. Well my 'classic' does and I can't imagine they've removed it on newer models?

As a percentage, I'd say I'm 100% sure mine does Very Happy Wink
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Power2Max does dual-sided readings. Well my 'classic' does and I can't imagine they're removed it on newer models?

I'm guessing he's meaning genuine L/R balance as opposed to dual sided, P2M's are all "total output"
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Power2Max does dual-sided readings. Well my 'classic' does and I can't imagine they're removed it on newer models?

I'm guessing he's meaning genuine L/R balance as opposed to dual sided, P2M's are all "total output"

Yeah, I realise P2M has some algorithm it uses to estimate power on the 'dead' part of the right crank rotation, and uses that number as left leg power/balance (if I've explained that well enough).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: