Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
My first 'proper collision' this morning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: My first 'proper collision' this morning Reply with quote

Well it took many years, but finally I found myself in that position we all dread. Fortunately, as a result of my disc brakes & fighter-pilot reactions, the 'endo' against the side of his car was not as bad as it might have been. Just a few grazes and a small kink in my front wheel. Classic 'right turn' across a main road scenario, he was focussing on cars and didn't register me. Yes I was in shade, but had a neon yellow helmet and all-white bike kit.

Time to put a strobe light on, and think about a helmet cam too......any recommendations?
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, glad you're OK
I run one of these on my helmet https://bullethd.com/en/cameras/15-pro4.html
Thankfully have only had to get the footage off it once in 3 years of commuting
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that....if you play this game for long enough, it will almost certainly happen...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: My first 'proper collision' this morning Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Well it took many years, but finally I found myself in that position we all dread. Fortunately, as a result of my disc brakes & fighter-pilot reactions, the 'endo' against the side of his car was not as bad as it might have been. Just a few grazes and a small kink in my front wheel. Classic 'right turn' across a main road scenario, he was focussing on cars and didn't register me. Yes I was in shade, but had a neon yellow helmet and all-white bike kit.

Time to put a strobe light on, and think about a helmet cam too......any recommendations?

Glad you are okay!

When it was my turn I managed to smash the car window with my head, and wake up in hospital
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: My first 'proper collision' this morning Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Glad you are OK, hope you can claim on the front wheel and new helmet (wouldn't want to reuse one after a crash)

After my crash last year, I have become a little paranoid about cars turning left or right ahead of me
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My first 'proper collision' this morning Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Glad you are OK, hope you can claim on the front wheel and new helmet (wouldn't want to reuse one after a crash)

After my crash last year, I have become a little paranoid about cars turning left or right ahead of me

Tbh I just dusted myself off, checked for clothing rips Rolling Eyes Wink Straightened the bars, gathered myself and rode off after about 5 min. No other cars stopped apart from him; all too busy trying to get somewhere. Did take a picture of his Car/VRN in case I needed it. Wheel is just a slight out-of-true wobble, rather than any rim damage.

We both got off lightly. Although I am hoping he has a bit of cosmetic damage on the side, as a reminder. With these 'minor' incidents, witnesses generally don't bother stopping when they see you get-up and look okay, so without a camera recording, I do wonder how much you can pursue stuff, unless the driver just comes clean to his insurance company.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he stopped, unlike my crash where I was left concussed lying in the road.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you’re relatively unscathed Jorgan.

I’ve started going a lot slower through traffic than I used to do. This has resulted in more near misses from other overtaking cyclists than from cars, mind.

I’ve thought about getting a camera but it just seems to be another bit of kit to turn on. I do wear a white helmet now (always bought black previously; no idea why).
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my considered opinion there is virtually nothing a rider can do that can significantly combat inattentive driving, except paranoia.

Expect every driver to do something deadly at any given moment so that your fighter pilot reactions have the best chance.

Visibility aids are useless if they’re not looking and they don’t care.

Visibility aids are pointless if they are looking and they do care, because they’ve already seen you.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 'proper collision' this morning Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Tbh I just dusted myself off, checked for clothing rips Rolling Eyes Wink Straightened the bars, gathered myself and rode off after about 5 min. No other cars stopped apart from him; all too busy trying to get somewhere. Did take a picture of his Car/VRN in case I needed it. Wheel is just a slight out-of-true wobble, rather than any rim damage.

We both got off lightly. Although I am hoping he has a bit of cosmetic damage on the side, as a reminder. With these 'minor' incidents, witnesses generally don't bother stopping when they see you get-up and look okay, so without a camera recording, I do wonder how much you can pursue stuff, unless the driver just comes clean to his insurance company.

I got left-hooked by a mini-cab a couple of months ago. Like you, I dusted myself off, gave the bike a quick check over and got back on and rode another 130km fuelled by adrenalin. It was all quite low speed and I thought I'd got away without any issues, but it was nearly a month before I could cycle and run without any discomfort.

With hindsight, I probably should have exchanged details with the driver, but he could barely speak English so it seemed like too much hassle. Most of the people I know who've been properly wiped out by cars have had to battle with insurance companies to get anything out of them, so I wasn't hopeful about getting any compensation.

As for other people stopping, while I was picking myself up off the floor a bloke in an Audi who wouldn't have been in a position to witness the accident took the time to stop, wind his window down and tell me that it was my fault for being hit because I wasn't wearing hi viz Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: