Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journey
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journey Reply with quote

I am sure that secretly, many of us look and Ironman Journey, and share our thoughts and words of wisdom. I certainly know that in the past I have provided some pretty bad advice, however, it never ceases to amaze me how many people provide "solid advice" which is plain wrong.

I have received threats of violence for suggesting that I prefer Vitoria Corsa G+ tyres over Conti GP4000

Recommendation that non wetsuit swim is fine as you can wear Neoprene Swim Pants

more hate messages because I recommended a) a Canyon b) a road bike with discs
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very strange folk on that site...like any internet forum.

Some of the basics are well covered, some of the tips would only apply to the very steady or very very fast.

Some of the Strava boasts are probably not possible, unless your Fabian C starting your tri days.

Everyones an expert.... even the ones who have never actually raced yet.
Some probably are, most arent.

It can be quite funny. None of us are going to the Olympics or the top steps at Kona anytime ever..... there are a few loons on it though.

You HAVE to use 25mm tyres for IMUK, is probably misguided but well meant.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preety much any advice on Facebook is a bad idea, given the lack of minimum IQ criteria to have an account Twisted Evil
AndyS..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journ Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
...many of us look and Ironman Journey...

Never heard of it, just joined. Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journ Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
...many of us look and Ironman Journey...

Never heard of it, just joined. Very Happy

Just don't take it seriously
AndyS..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journ Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Just don't take it seriously

I was hoping to be one to give out crap advice. Very Happy
tommy060289

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy called Carl Jennings seems to kop a lot of flack from some corners. Is he your typical 'if you can complete your training plan it's not hard enough' never actually done an IM but knows it all or is the forum just full of some very salty people?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on it for about 3 months. Like most things, most members of the group are 'normal' but the only thing you really notice is the noise from the blowhards who actually have (in most cases) limited experience or knowledge.

Sorry to pick on a contributing member here, but last week they made a very IMJ statement, as if it was fact: "bodyfat percentage is the biggest factor in triathlon performance".
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
guy called Carl Jennings seems to kop a lot of flack from some corners. Is he your typical 'if you can complete your training plan it's not hard enough' never actually done an IM but knows it all or is the forum just full of some very salty people?

Carl is a "forum hero", fighting adversity to finally succeed in his IM journey... he has many tales, mainly based on learning from failure. People who just want to complete an IM for the first time, in under the cutoff time, love him, some people who are more experienced and are looking to compete, rather than just complete, get wound up my him.

Recently it has turned a bit nasty, gentle prodding has progressed to occasional abuse

Recently saw a comment from a "coach", which I felt was simply wrong
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure 'Riptide' had an Mdot tattoo before he even completed a full IM Laughing I think in person, he'd be fine tbh, because he'd pitch it at the appropriate level to his audience. But the Internet has a way of removing all kinds of filters.

All CJ actually needed to do was admit his swim training was woefully inadequate for an IM sea swim, rather than blame a riptide; I think that's what put experienced people off him. A couple of months later, he barely made the swim cut-off in Bolton.....
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
tommy060289 wrote:

Carl is a "forum hero", fighting adversity to finally succeed in his IM journey... he has many tales, mainly based on learning from failure. People who just want to complete an IM for the first time, in under the cutoff time, love him, some people who are more experienced and are looking to compete, rather than just complete, get wound up my him.

Recently it has turned a bit nasty, gentle prodding has progressed to occasional abuse

Recently saw a comment from a "coach", which I felt was simply wrong

must be something to do with the name Carl. many round these parts will know Carl Barthorpe who started his IM journey many years ago here on TriTalk before joining the Pirates on Runnersworld. failed at the Longest Day big time but persevered and now has over 20 IM to his name including a legacy Kona slot.

I think I lasted about a week on the IM journey FB group before jacking it in
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Carl here on TT, who has posted a lot; clueless Wink

You'd think there'd be less biff on FB, as people are generally posting publically as themselves, unlike here where you normally use an alias. But I guess social media does attract that kind of person, the Peacock.
tin pot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Rookie seems to be vying for first place in the anger management queue.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to leave that group. Not just because of the stupid answers but the banality of some of the questions
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you all lasted a lot longer than I ever did. I think I managed about 48hrs.

Don't like the idea of people knowing who I am when I post. I enjoy posting self-righteous, opinionated bullsh1t and I certainly don't want it associating with the 'real' me Very Happy

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: