Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 955
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

It appears that most are weak swimmers in IMJ.


That's an issue I have with the way the sport has gone; Standard/Oly races have withered on the vine, as did the O3/Nice distance long ago (4/120/30)...all because they want to dumb down the swimming so more people will do it. IM is already short-changing on the swim tbh. The ITU distances are a lot more equitable - which is surely the point of a 3 discipline sport!

Now the sport seems to consist mainly of Sprints and straight to HIM/IM. I haven't done an Oly for 4 years, they're so thin on the ground. That said, I see Lake 32 has one at the end of the summer that I fancy. Original Nice dist would be cool too (O3).

Oh, and there's Perranporth; you could never accuse them of paying lip-service to the swim Twisted Evil Surprised


I did an Oly Last weekend in Abersoch, Took me 38+ Mins which was good for top 25% and that was reduced to 1km due to "unfavourable tidal conditions"

They were some interesting conditions.

I normally swim 1500 in 23-26 and have always been around 63-70 for 3.8km.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

It appears that most are weak swimmers in IMJ.


That's an issue I have with the way the sport has gone; Standard/Oly races have withered on the vine, as did the O3/Nice distance long ago (4/120/30)...all because they want to dumb down the swimming so more people will do it. IM is already short-changing on the swim tbh. The ITU distances are a lot more equitable - which is surely the point of a 3 discipline sport!

Now the sport seems to consist mainly of Sprints and straight to HIM/IM. I haven't done an Oly for 4 years, they're so thin on the ground. That said, I see Lake 32 has one at the end of the summer that I fancy. Original Nice dist would be cool too (O3).

Oh, and there's Perranporth; you could never accuse them of paying lip-service to the swim Twisted Evil Surprised

You should do Isoman. It kind of intrigues me as well. Might consider the half next year.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doug




Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 15062
Location: Harrow (Doonhamer in exile)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

You should do Isoman. It kind of intrigues me as well. Might consider the half next year.


I got an email saying Isoman UK is taking a break next year so they can set up US and Oz races.
_________________
A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise. ~A.A. Milne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
stenard wrote:

You should do Isoman. It kind of intrigues me as well. Might consider the half next year.


I got an email saying Isoman UK is taking a break next year so they can set up US and Oz races.

Fab. Rolling Eyes Well that's that plan scuppered! Thanks for the info.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16765
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISOMAN. Personally I think they have completely missed the point, and over-compensated with the swim & run....and I'm a swim/runner. The whole point should be to even out the 'TSS' of the events, not the duration you spend doing them, as they are very different activities. 3 hours on a bike, is not like 3 hours swimming or running Rolling Eyes

The duration spent on the 3 events should still be swim, run & bike in increasing order. The Olympic Distance is a benchmark for a reason, it's just a shame it's not a 'blueprint' for other distances.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 377
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

It appears that most are weak swimmers in IMJ.


That's an issue I have with the way the sport has gone; Standard/Oly races have withered on the vine, as did the O3/Nice distance long ago (4/120/30)...all because they want to dumb down the swimming so more people will do it. IM is already short-changing on the swim tbh. The ITU distances are a lot more equitable - which is surely the point of a 3 discipline sport!

Now the sport seems to consist mainly of Sprints and straight to HIM/IM. I haven't done an Oly for 4 years, they're so thin on the ground. That said, I see Lake 32 has one at the end of the summer that I fancy. Original Nice dist would be cool too (O3).

Oh, and there's Perranporth; you could never accuse them of paying lip-service to the swim Twisted Evil Surprised


I am not the fastest swimmer, but completely agree with you, I think that Olympic distance is my favourite. Sprints are horrible and painful

I did an IM in my 3rd season, which was probably too soon, however, I resent people doing an IM as their first, and often only, race. I feel that it is just "badge" and "tattoo" collecting, and not really showing respect to the sport
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5065
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F3 had an Oly on 2 weeks ago at Marlow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it surprising you feel you don't have many olys available Jorgan. I could probably do one every few weekends within a reasonable range of travel.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16765
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I find it surprising you feel you don't have many olys available Jorgan. I could probably do one every few weekends within a reasonable range of travel.


I should probably caveat that with "that is on a convenient date for me". There tend to be a few in my area in May, but nearly always clash with my son's Birthday weekend celebrations - and there were two weekends doing various things this year! The Inter Services was always in late July when we were on holiday....and so on. There was one in the FoD in June - again, my Daughter's Birthday weekend!

So, you youngsters better consider when you try for a baby....maybe winter Very Happy
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1488
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
I find it surprising you feel you don't have many olys available Jorgan. I could probably do one every few weekends within a reasonable range of travel.


I should probably caveat that with "that is on a convenient date for me". There tend to be a few in my area in May, but nearly always clash with my son's Birthday weekend celebrations - and there were two weekends doing various things this year! The Inter Services was always in late July when we were on holiday....and so on. There was one in the FoD in June - again, my Daughter's Birthday weekend!

So, you youngsters better consider when you try for a baby....maybe winter Very Happy


... and start your honing your negotiation tactics early, as there'll be limitless other kids parties that you will absolutely not want to go to, so will have to barter with your significant other, or set up a rotation! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16765
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still scope for a Fukushima scale meltdown on IMJ, if the course is changed in some way due to the fires & algae. Quite possible. There is a screenshot of a message floating about from a Firefighter based up there, expressing doubts that Sheephouse Lane will be open, but I wasn't going to drop that grenade in, given it's third-hand info.

Consensus seems to be that the IM will be swimming in a different part of the Flash to the algae problem? Anyway, I've re-joined IMJ just in case it implodes Laughing I will be checking-out again next week.

That Ryan Rookie fella.....
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1180
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds quite amusing, might try and have a look myself Smile

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hunkydory




Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 94
Location: Shepperton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought of putting this little baby on there...

"Feeling super disappointed! - Just got the email. How dare they cancel IMUK so close to the date. All my hard work for nothing. All that beer I didn't drink..."

And see how long it takes for me to get barred... haha
_________________
inveterata dolorem, et gloria in aeternum.

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
@ESFChiropractic (twitter)
@mika_janhunen_dc (Instagram)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16765
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has posted about it being cancelled or a duathlon. We must comment so it stays top of the page Laughing
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1488
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'm baited .... let me go find it. (can't be a$$ed to set up a fakey account though, so i'll face up bravely Very Happy )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.