Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Ryan Rookie got Bertied to the facebook police, so step forward Dan Reef

Dan made a couple of genuine comments on that thread. As a coach the first question I ask is "what do you want to achieve from our relationship" if they say nonsense like be given a plan or to finish an ironman I say that they shound buy a book for 20.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Reef started off well, and then got all sensible

The aim was not to have a go at coaches, they do make a real difference - however, if you read other threads, one would believe that a coach is essential to completing an Ironman. Maybe for one and dones, a coach may be required, but for people who spend their time building up to an Ironman, a coach can help achieve specific goals, but most people are able to make it round under the cutoff, without a coach
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Mr Reef started off well, and then got all sensible

The aim was not to have a go at coaches, they do make a real difference - however, if you read other threads, one would believe that a coach is essential to completing an Ironman. Maybe for one and dones, a coach may be required, but for people who spend their time building up to an Ironman, a coach can help achieve specific goals, but most people are able to make it round under the cutoff, without a coach

I know I forgot who I was on the coaching debate 😂

I agree though, most club coaches are all most need. Join a club, go swim with them, do group rides (provided they are well organised) and the weekly run and add your personal stuff in which most club coaches will advise on for free.
I also hate the way someone who is a good age grouper is instantly a better coach. No they are sometimes the worst as they only do what's working for them, no self reflection and their most important athlete is themselves evidenced usually by their self indulgent blogs.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only really need to get a coach if a) you've really gotten as far as you can alone and you want to go further, or b) you are completely clueless, lack motivation and need to be answerable to someone. You need to be prepared to pay in both cases.

Personally, I've never been coached in any of the disciplines, and was an adult onset swimmer at 18. However, and it's a big however, I have been doing some kind of endurance sport since 1986, did a university degree in Sport Science and recently completed 20 years in the Forces. So you can certainly argue I've been equipped with the life skills to succeed 'alone' way more than others. Have I got as far as I can alone - quite possibly. I did 10:09 on a really sh!t weather day in my debut IM, on 12 months training from scratch. Age and kids mean I've pretty much sat on that plateau ever since Rolling Eyes Very Happy It's not a bad plateau though.

I see so many really bad bike positions though, so yeah I think guidance is definitely needed in many cases. When I bought my PX Stealth back in the day, the German distributor measured me, and when it arrived I collected it and he did set me up on it (this is a guy who still holds the M35 Course Record at IM AUS from the 90s!). So given that bike-fit and my previously acquired 'sport skills' I was self-sufficient from then.

Last edited by Jorgan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree you don't need a coach. I got to a reasonable standard before ever having a bike fit or getting a coach. I came from no endurance sport background at all, but just read some stuff and hashed together some kind of structure which worked well enough.

I did take on a coach this year for full distance. But that was because if I was going to do it, I wanted to do it well. I wasn't sure if I'd do another even at the outset. Plus, I'd hit a bit of a plateau with self-coached motivation. It was too easy to snooze the alarm and miss a session when I was only accountable to myself. Not that my coach would ever actually "tell me off" for missing sessions, but knowing someone will actually see that I didn't do what I planned to do was something I knew would make me more consistent. In going long, I also loved the fact I personally didn't need to plan out the full schedule. Only having to think about delivering sessions over the next 1-2 weeks that were loaded on Training Peaks took away the potential scariness that would have come from scheduling in 100 mile rides months down the line if I'd planned out the who season long structure myself. I also like the feedback and guidance, and regular catch ups. It's worked well for me this year.

In terms of technical aspects, I still get all of that from the club. So all my "swim coaching" is really just pointers from the club coach at club sessions. I did do one 1:1 private lesson with him during the early winter, but that's it.

Ultimately, if I were advising someone new, as per all those frequent posts on IMJ, then I'd just tell someone to start training consistently and join a club. Being around people who'd done tri for a long time and knew what they were doing, and going to club sessions that had relatively generic structure and phasing, was good enough for me for over four years, and I made decent progress.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I did take on a coach this year for full distance.

Outside assistance Lenny; you'll be wheel-sucking with T patches under your shorts next Laughing
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people need a coach.
It is just how they are wired, they need someone to tell them what to do even if they know it. If I had not seen that in some of my friends I would have agreed that you don't a coach but I have come to the conclusion that some do.
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up for a triple deca

do I need a coach? Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

Probably three coaches ... or 30?
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

Don't you mean couch with a psychiatrist sat in a chair behind you?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

No, a counsellor.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You only really need to get a coach if a) you've really gotten as far as you can alone and you want to go further, or b) you are completely clueless, lack motivation and need to be answerable to someone. You need to be prepared to pay in both cases.

Personally, I've never been coached in any of the disciplines, and was an adult onset swimmer at 18. However, and it's a big however, I have been doing some kind of endurance sport since 1986, did a university degree in Sport Science and recently completed 20 years in the Forces. So you can certainly argue I've been equipped with the life skills to succeed 'alone' way more than others. Have I got as far as I can alone - quite possibly. I did 10:09 on a really sh!t weather day in my debut IM, on 12 months training from scratch. Age and kids mean I've pretty much sat on that plateau ever since Rolling Eyes Very Happy It's not a bad plateau though.

I see so many really bad bike positions though, so yeah I think guidance is definitely needed in many cases. When I bought my PX Stealth back in the day, the German distributor measured me, and when it arrived I collected it and he did set me up on it (this is a guy who still holds the M35 Course Record at IM AUS from the 90s!). So given that bike-fit and my previously acquired 'sport skills' I was self-sufficient from then.

Sloggers would have helped you find that elusive SUB 10....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Ha, now that is drole Very Happy
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Rofl
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for a moment there I thought reasoned debate was occurring.... carry on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: