Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What is the most stupid advice on Facebook Ironman Journey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan, get yourself entered for Barcelona, get a few TTers to drag you round in a bike pack and then we can all move on..
Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan, get yourself entered for Barcelona, get a few TTers to drag you round in a bike pack and then we can all move on..
Smile

I've moved on, but others seem to have trouble forgetting; it's like Rooney and his granny sex. As long as I can keep rolling out sub 10:30 for the next 15 years I'll be laughing by the end of it. Then I could go to Kona, and wonder WTF all the fuss was about Wink Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've left IMJ again this week. I actually only re-joined to watch the pre-Bolton meltdown.
funkster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't stay

it was hurting
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So I've left IMJ again this week. I actually only re-joined to watch the pre-Bolton meltdown.

Im still banned, but my "friend" is ok. I never log on though unless ive had a couple of beers and want to troll
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people who have accrued their knowledge through advertorials or Social Media. If you're too lazy to read good articles and studies, then just watch the pros...

Really, a disc wheel is not the fastest wheel 99% of the time? Urm, just watch the Pros on the telly for a start; how many ride a Zipp 440 rear wheel on your average TT? Rolling Eyes Discs are too heavy for hills? Have you actually seen what a modern disc weighs? Rolling Eyes Beards are slow right? Yeah, I'm sure Wiggo never thought about that, and forgot to test that theory Rolling Eyes Taping 20 gels to your top-tube...who does that?!
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Too many people who have accrued their knowledge through advertorials or Social Media. If you're too lazy to read good articles and studies, then just watch the pros...

Really, a disc wheel is not the fastest wheel 99% of the time? Urm, just watch the Pros on the telly for a start; how many ride a Zipp 440 rear wheel on your average TT? Rolling Eyes Discs are too heavy for hills? Have you actually seen what a modern disc weighs? Rolling Eyes Beards are slow right? Yeah, I'm sure Wiggo never thought about that, and forgot to test that theory Rolling Eyes Taping 20 gels to your top-tube...who does that?!

For a guy that claimed to be above 'internet tosh' you sure spend a lot of time wallowing in the mud with hoi polloi Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
For a guy that claimed to be above 'internet tosh' you sure spend a lot of time wallowing in the mud with hoi polloi Wink

I know! You have to treat IMJ like ITVBe; stay too long and it will rot your brain.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I know! You have to treat IMJ like ITVBe; stay too long and it will rot your brain.

Very Happy I guess so, I'm not on FB at all, it sounds, err challenging. Exclamation

I used to read a bit of Beginner Triathlete back in the day (not sure why, I'd already been doing them for over 10 years), it was pretty painful at times.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Laughing rumbled Jorgan
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Really, a disc wheel is not the fastest wheel 99% of the time? Urm, just watch the Pros on the telly for a start; how many ride a Zipp 440 rear wheel on your average TT?

Except in Weymouth where the "disc rear wheel is not affected by wind" brigade discovered that in winds gusting 40mph the rear disc may not be the right idea

I went with 66 and 88 wheels, which I think was the right choice, I certainly passed lots of disc wheels. Does anyone know if the Pro's used rear discs?

However, many people were extremely cautious and went on alloy training wheels, which I think was a massive compromise when cycling into a head wind

Only once was the 66 front a handful (even if it did almost lead to a crash)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Really, a disc wheel is not the fastest wheel 99% of the time? Urm, just watch the Pros on the telly for a start; how many ride a Zipp 440 rear wheel on your average TT?

Except in Weymouth where the "disc rear wheel is not affected by wind" brigade discovered that in winds gusting 40mph the rear disc may not be the right idea

I went with 66 and 88 wheels, which I think was the right choice, I certainly passed lots of disc wheels. Does anyone know if the Pro's used rear discs?

However, many people were extremely cautious and went on alloy training wheels, which I think was a massive compromise when cycling into a head wind

Weymouth would have been one of the very rare occasions I used an 808 on the rear. I've done that once in the last 10 years iirc: Perranporth last year which was pretty desperate (5' surf, wind & rain). The weight argument is old hat now, with a lot of higher-spec discs weighing under a kilo (so only about 100g more than an 808).
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Yes, the winner was on a disc: https://www.finisherpix.com/gallery/photo/en/gbp/2244/1/2244_014905#2244_014905

Personally, I kinda disagree with you. I don't think the rear makes very much difference at all, and have gone with a disc in all races since I've owned one. After Mallorca 70.3 this year, I did a few days riding where the wind really got up to 40+ mph. The rear disc wasn't bothering me at all, it was the 404 front.

You aren't incorrect to say that a deeper front would be better into a direct headwind, but it will also be the thing that really causes issues in a direct crosswind.

Also, it's irrelevant as to the fact you passed people on a disc. That means absolutely nothing as to whether not using one was the right wheel choice for you.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Stenard there. I rode a horrendous TT in the moors 2 years ago and had my disk on in 40+mph sleet with snow on the tops. There was a 30% DNS and then 50% DNF due to conditions and the disk didn't twitch once.
I did leave my 60 front off and go with a 38mm.

As it happens my chain snapped after 33 miles on the moors and luckily a kind chap in a Land Rover picked me up and took me back because I was in real trouble and would have struggled to make it back.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yes, the winner was on a disc: https://www.finisherpix.com/gallery/photo/en/gbp/2244/1/2244_014905#2244_014905

Personally, I kinda disagree with you. I don't think the rear makes very much difference at all, and have gone with a disc in all races since I've owned one. After Mallorca 70.3 this year, I did a few days riding where the wind really got up to 40+ mph. The rear disc wasn't bothering me at all, it was the 404 front.

You aren't incorrect to say that a deeper front would be better into a direct headwind, but it will also be the thing that really causes issues in a direct crosswind.

Also, it's irrelevant as to the fact you passed people on a disc. That means absolutely nothing as to whether not using one was the right wheel choice for you.

Maybe I should have used the disc, I realize that the front is far more significant than the rear, and I did take a gamble on the 66 as my 42mm is a clincher and I didn't want to mix tubulars and clinchers. There is a quite a big surface area on a rear disc, and I am very aware from Windsurfing just how much power 40mph wind could generate.

I understand that IM ban rear discs at Kona due to high cross winds, if the rear disc makes little difference, should this be the case?

This is the first time I have not used the disc since getting one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: