Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tour de France 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty lumpy TT Too which should suit Froome, but then the way TD has been climbing I think we can forget about calling him not a "pure" climber...

Has anyone noticed how thin G is looking, almost nothing of the lad in his post interviews, he's never been big, but he is really looking the part ATM as in looks like he's just got out of Auschwitz Laughing
blindcider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
He's a had a couple of crashes though, so not a consistent run in to gain form...

I think the crashes are a symptom of his form. Now he no longer has the legs to outsprint rivals (as he did at his peak) he's taking more risks and getting involved in more argy bargy which is resulting in the crashes.

One of my favourite clips is the year Wiggins led the train onto the Champs Elysees and there's that moving side-on camera shot of Cav just riding away from everyone. One of the few times where you really get an impression of the speed.[/quote]

I don't fully agree, Cav has always got involved in argy bargy although I do think he is taking more risks.

A few times in this tour it looked like he was having trouble putting the power down from good positions as his rear wheel skipped about on at least two stages.

I'd also argue that his renaissance came from going back to the track for the Olympics and getting a bit stronger (heavier too?) comparatively to what he was. The current fastest sprinters seem to me to be Gaviria and Viviani who also have a recent strong track background.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be hilarious if Sky really pull it off by
1) Designating Froome as captain pre-tour
2) Make everyone watch him expecting an attempt
3) Secretly have designated G as winner
4) Do some rumble jumble with Froome pretending to attack multiple times on a climb forcing TD to chase, then let G kick arse and finish TD off

Such a nasty force to deal with that team, with so much talent and capability. And having two top dogs up there is completely unpredictable - for the other teams. For us, I think it's quite predictable which team will be in yellow in Paris.
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the boooooo's from the last couple of weeks, Moscon's behaviour yesterday will now increase that level of hostility to new levels in this last 7 days. He really is a piece of filth and with his record should never ride at WT level again.

I have never believed in Froome, his donkey to racehorse transformation just isn't credible at all and now we have a pursuit rider with a classics background who can now ride every 55kg climber off the mountain and do it all again the following day .... nothing to see here of course.

I look forward to the flat stages, where I can enjoy Thomas De Gent going long, or watch Jasper Stuyven and Toms Skuuns bury themselves for the stage win ... those mountain stages are nothing more than WWE stuff now and I treat them as such.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:
now we have a pursuit rider with a classics background who can now ride every 55kg climber off the mountain

I'd wager G is not far off 55kg at the moment.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some interesting comments over the weekend about why so many sprinters have battled with the cut-offs on the mountain stages this year. The reduction in team size from 9 to 8 was highlighted as it meant that there were fewer riders to form the grupetto.

The other factor highlighted was the difficulty for the weaker climbers on the shorter mountain stages because they have relatively less opportunity to get time back on the descents and valley sections. Wednesday's really short mountain stage could see even more sprinters jettisoned if the GC guys go full gas from the start.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44937933

Just another quiet day in rural France Rolling Eyes Wink
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we conclude the French are revolting ? Rolling Eyes
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helluva crash from dude who went over the wall. Then back on bike- respect
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
helluva crash from dude who went over the wall. Then back on bike- respect

It was scary stuff in real time. You could tell everyone was properly concerned, so was great to see Gilbert re-emerge. Made more poignant by the fact it happened only a 100m or so away from where the last TdF fatality occurred.

As you say, impressive to see him get back on and finish. More impressive now I've found out why he's subsequently abandoned...a fractured kneecap! How on earth did he get over another cat1 climb with a busted patella?!
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

As you say, impressive to see him get back on and finish. More impressive now I've found out why he's subsequently abandoned...a fractured kneecap! How on earth did he get over another cat1 climb with a busted patella?!

I believe it's Customary to slag off footballers at this point?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
stenard wrote:

That's too boring.

I am amazed what these cyclists to do to carry on though. The day after the Paris Roubaix stage, I came off my bike at 5 mph, a bit of bruising and road rash, but hurt like hell: these guy come off at 25mph, slide along the ground, fracture, vertibrae, patella, Scapula etc, loose 20% of their skin, and then jump back on their bikes, wearing bloody rags, and finish with the main group
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for kickoff at 2pm. Todays stage is going to be interesting even if the predicted fireworks don't go off.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, really looking forward to today's stage. May or may not pan out as expected but credit to them for trying something different.

Just downloaded ITV app on my phone so I can try and keep an eye on it as this is one I'd watch live if it was a weekend.

Let's hope the work's WiFi is up to it.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
stenard wrote:

Very Happy my thoughts precisely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: