Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tour de France 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Mr Froome had a bad day going down the final climb as well as up it

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst not a Froome fan, I have to say that he conducts himself with a great amount of dignity, and has a lot of class off the bike. In many ways, the Indurain of his era Smile
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think they had designated G as leader, but haven't seen any occassion this tour where Sky could have swapped them. TD being so close has worked perfectly as needed to cover him, plus Sky have had Poels/Kwiatkowski able to ride with Froome leaving GT free to become 2nd team leader as the race has progressed.
Enjoyed racing yesterday, as had felt GT was just holding yellow for lack of better option attacking him until now. One day left and he can shake off the one shocking day pattern that's held him back last few years.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only guess what's been going through GT's head since he took Yellow; he's certainly been playing himself down in the last week, to the point where I have wanted to shout at the TV and tell him to start believing in himself Laughing

Sky have no choice now: with 1'59 on Dumoulin, Thomas is the de-facto Leader and he must be backed fully.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just Wish I was as confident a G that he can hold 2-mins off TD in that pesky Time Trial. He was obviously riding defensively, he looked like he could have attacked at any point, so it is obvious he thinks he can hold him off on the TT, but I would still like to see a bigger gap!

Yes G has massively improved his already good TT

Yes the TT in question probably suits G quite well

But still TD is a TT god and all it takes is G getting a bit giddy at the start and 2 mins is nothing. It's not hard to get a bit giddy on the eve of your first Grand Tour Victory!

Maybe he will attack on the last stage...after a Froome Lead-out Laughing
Symes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could easily end up being as close as Fignon/Lemond but unlike back then when they had a loud haler stuck on the bonnet of the car and slightly sketchy guesstimates of time gaps, the team radio and watching the TV in the team car should be able to give GT all the info he needs, as long as his legs can respond.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ there's still an opportunity for him to steal a few more seconds tomorrow, albeit slim with a downhill finish, so I guess the chances are that it will be neutralised and come down to the TT.

I'm not sure why they stuck a flat stage in the Pyrenees, and then a downhill finish tomorrow; unless they want to see some crashes when people are put under pressure on the descent Rolling Eyes
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and after the Giro, I am not quite ready to write Froome off just yet. True it will need a ride even more astonishing than that but who could have believed that ride!

Either way, Fri and Sat look Epic!

TD Must be So pissed though, he has finally managed to crack Froome...Only to be pipped By G Laughing Poor Guy just can't catch a break!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't write off someone 'clever' from the Sky PR department suggesting that it may be good for CF and Sky's image if he acts the valiant hero, super domming G through that last mountain stage in a big old act of camaraderie and togetherness.

Also, hell hath no fury like a (wo)man scorned so i wouldn't mind placing a few quid on Froome winning the TT. We all talk about TD in the TT, but how deep has he had to go to keep in touch with everyone. He also has a 2nd place finish in the Giro in his legs.

We shall see!!
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to put a curse on G, but I really can't see TD putting that kind of time into him.

G is a very good time trialist. And I think the Giro TT, when at that stage it appeared all set for TD to storm to a convincing victory and take the maglia rosa from Simon Yates, showed that riding an ITT at the back end of a 3 week grand tour is a different prospect to riding standalone at an event where you have specifically peaked for it.

If Simon Yates can ride within 1:15 of TD at the Giro, I can't see G giving up remotely that kind of time, let alone more.

The most recent occasion I can see them having gone head to head is as far back as last years Giro, which TD won. The two of them came 1st and 2nd, with TD gaining <50s. That was on stage 10, when TD would have been much more in his element freshness wise, and off the back of a rest day.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2017/stage-10

I just can't see any kind of material gap. Something of the order of this year's Giro when he only put 13s into Chris Froome is what I'm expecting.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
The most recent occasion I can see them having gone head to head is as far back as last years Giro, which TD won. The two of them came 1st and 2nd, with TD gaining <50s. That was on stage 10, when TD would have been much more in his element freshness wise, and off the back of a rest day.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2017/stage-10

Plus Thomas had been hit by a motorbike 2 days earlier and called it quits shortly after.

TD pretty much conceded after yesterday's stage. The only danger I can see is a speculative effort from Roglic in an attempt to make the podium, Froome follows, G stays and marks TD. If TD can't close it down, then G could be exposed to either Froome or Roglic if they can sustain the attack.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
TD pretty much conceded after yesterday's stage. The only danger I can see is a speculative effort from Roglic in an attempt to make the podium, Froome follows, G stays and marks TD. If TD can't close it down, then G could be exposed to either Froome or Roglic if they can sustain the attack.

If TD can't close it down, I don't see GT hanging about; he'll follow. I think you're right about Roglic being the Agent Provocateur though; he will 'animate' it, which seems to be the latest ITV4 buzz word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: