Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Outlaw Holkham Half

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Outlaw Holkham Half Reply with quote

Did this race yesterday & got 20th overall & 2nd in AG, my best result so far in tri other than winning a local sprint race a few months ago.

It is a really nice race set in the beautiful grounds of Holkham Hall. Had a great weekend there and result aside would definitely recommend it.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my first Holkham Half too, absolutely top drawer event in a fabulous setting. Only slight negatives were outside the organisers control: bird sh&t smelling water once it was stirred up, and traffic jams/hold ups coming into Wells at the end of the bike.

Bike and run courses were fantastic.

Well done Doca, great placing that. I got about 40th with 4:46, but 1st M50-54 so happy with that.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save the bragging for The Ironman Journey FB group Wink
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You can save the bragging for The Ironman Journey FB group Wink

Don't do the IJ FB group, it just winds me up seeing what gets posted there.
If you can cope with the spelling & grammar I made a report for our club FB page:

Outlaw Holkam Half
Now one of my favourite races, on a summer’s day set in the beautiful grounds of Holkham hall OSB put on a great event. It feels like a festival, music, nice artisan food stalls not at stupid prices (6 quid for a 10” handmade stone baked pizza I tell thi). At any time you could lie on the acers of grass, chill out, soak up the atmosphere & imagine you were on holiday it was mint. The site is also a bit of a nature reserve; I took a wander in the grounds on Saturday & saw a herd of deer grazing in the grass, maybe just me but I love to see that sort of thing.
Camping was good too, nice showers and located just a few hundred meters from transition. They only allow camping within the grounds for 2 events each the year, apparently the hosts are triathlon fans. This would be a super venue for a Real Fitness team outing one year.
The swim is one lap of Holkhams own lake, around the island and back, it looks nice but is quite shallow and silty which quickly turns to soup when a few hundred age groupers start churning up the bottom. It smells pretty bad in a natural way, you wouldn’t want to drink any of it. The bike is a scenic, single loop, around Norfolk’s country roads. It is a nice course, the roads are bumpy in places but in pretty good nick. The course even passes the gates of Sandringham for a spot of sightseeing. As it is costal its breezy which results in a feeling of mostly going uphill, there is no hill as sharp as the two on the Nottingham course but it is more undulating which results in an overall slower time. The run is 3 laps of half the Holkham estate. It is quite tough, hilly, mostly tarmac but with some off road trails too. The 3 laps help mentally as you soon know the course and as we know after the second lap you only have the parade lap to finish…
My race; I entered last minute only a couple weeks ago with the goal of proving my nutrition strategy to see if it would lead to another good run and hopefully quash the demons of the Nottingham swim and put a good race together.
I seeded myself a bit further back in the swim to try and get an easier start, the start was not great & I did immediately feel uncomfortable in the melee, stopping momentarily but got going again and after maybe a minute I found clear water and was able to get into a rhythm. After that there were no dramas and I swam probably the best I have in a race. It was not balls out like I would be in the comfort of Manvers lake but it was much more than survival and I didn’t drink any. When I approached the last turn buoy I felt pretty pleased with myself and no matter what the time was it was job done. A slick transition and on to the bike;
I had swapped my Stages power meter from my road bike to the tri bike on Friday but had not recalibrated it, so I calibrated it early Sunday morning in transition. I got a higher than expected calibration number but I’d followed the process and didn’t think any more of it. On the bike I had a target Normalised power to work to that had worked well for me in Nottingham but out on the road I struggled to make that power and was quickly 10 watts down on the average required and I felt that I didn’t have my usual bike legs too. In hind sight it was possibly psychosomatic which wasn’t helped by being overtaken twice and not able to give chase. I thought about all my previous training sessions, was I too tired? Or was it a calibration problem? It did effect be mentally for a while, in the end I just had to work to RPE it was what it was. Other than that the bike passed without and any real issues & I was able to enjoy the Norfolk countryside. I had chosen not to pick up a bottle at the first feed station & that was a mistake. In the heat I was drinking more than normal and I emptied both bottles 10km before the 2nd feed station. Not a major setback but something to be aware of in the future. With thoughts of power, previous training sessions & stops at feed stations, before I knew it we were back at the Holkham estate and readying for the dismount. Another good transition and on to the run;
The run sets off straight in to a double climb, and with the undulating course it is difficult to know what your pace should be but I noticed I was passing more people than normal and only a couple passed me (I got one of them back later). On the second lap I could see that my pace was similar to the first in the same places and that gave my some confidence. Probably near the halfway mark I knew I was in good shape, I felt good and there was no sign of the old wooden legs. I never normally stop at feed stations on the run for a half, carrying everything I need but in the heat and after lessons learnt I knew it was time to be sensible, I walked at a lot of feed stations taking some time to have a good drink of coke and dowse myself in water to cool down. I only missed the last feed station on the last lap where I knew it was mostly a downhill 2.5 km to the finish. I was able to empty the tank & run my fastest splits of the run & cross the line with a time of 4 hours 40, a few minutes slower than Nottingham but on a tougher course. After the race I had a quick shower and waited for Ruth & Chris to finish (both started in later waves) & enjoyed the event atmosphere.
I was pleased with my race, I had done what I set out too, had a swim I was happy with and confirmed that my run at Nottingham was not a fluke. Whether it’s the liquid nutrition or the subtle changes in training it doesn’t matter, its working. When I collected my print out and found I was 2nd in age group and 20th overall I was more than surprised! My best triathlon result to date, reet weekend…….
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good going there, not branded, doesn't count.

Maybe I could go to ST and brag there (although it may end up being taken over by a debate as to whether Lionel would have gone sub 3 hours if he'd raced...)
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I got about 40th with 4:46, but 1st M50-54 so happy with that.

Nice one, well done. Did you stop for the presentation? made for a long day after the 3 hour drive home.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

'Outlaw' is definitely a brand. So your result counts, even if it was a bit mediocre, even for a guy your age.

How'd you like those apples? Wink

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

'Outlaw' is definitely a brand. So your result counts, regardless of whether it was a bit mediocre, even for a guy your age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: