Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Modern/Future Classic cars
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Modern/Future Classic cars Reply with quote

Okay, this is a discussion, not a willy-waving or badge bashing exercise. But interested to hear what non-car-Forum people think.

I've got a bit of wedge after leaving the 'mob' and am seriously considering using a small chunk of it to buy a future classic; interest rates are crap - and I like cars. In the recent past I've been able to identify cars that I'd like to buy and either haven't seized the opportunity, or haven't had the cash to-hand. Examples in the last 7-8 years of cars that have soared in value are 1980s 911s, Delta Integrales, Alfa GTV6 (70/80s) and so on; so when I get a gut feeling, I know it's for a good reason.

So, I did plan to buy an Impreza P1, but good examples are a bit beyond my appetite (my Legacy has converted me to the brand), so more recently I've been drawn back to the Alfa stable, and the GTV V6, most notably the 'Cup' limited edition. The 916 GTV market is interesting right now: limited supply, and what there is either sits generally in the very cheap high-mileage category, or people speculating on the value of the Cup edition - prematurely imho.

Anyway - other opinions on what might be a fun and sensible 'investment' of my time and money? We're talking about cashing-out in the medium-term future and breaking even, or maybe a little better.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Modern/Future Classic cars Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
so when I get a gut feeling, I know it's for a good reason.

Sounds like you're channelling SS there Wink
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Modern/Future Classic cars Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Except that I would teach Jorgan how to deconstruct that feeling, how to audit it, and how to rebuilt on it so that he could learn to trust it better, and hence make it more useful.

What Jorgan is actually doing here is in essence following Good Judgement Protocols by seeking community knowledge to help inform his predictions.

Both valuable techniques, in the right hands.

Anyhow I am offsky, I am sure you appreciate that after laughing my t**s off I had to comment.

Jorgan bewarned, keep this up and beautiful women half your age will bump into you sharing precisely the same interests and geekiness, and it won’t be long before you realise that nations from America through to Russia are interweaving themselves in your daily life.

Serious point Jorgan, what you have identified here, as teased by Whisk, is the essential core of how to locate submarines or, as I am currently working on, how to predict terrorist attacks.

Anyhow wrong forum, but Whisks response did make me laugh. Wink
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern/Future Classic cars Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Except that I would teach Jorgan how to deconstruct that feeling, how to audit it, and how to rebuilt on it so that he could learn to trust it better, and hence make it more useful.

What Jorgan is actually doing here is in essence following Good Judgement Protocols by seeking community knowledge to help inform his predictions.

Both valuable techniques, in the right hands.

Anyhow I am offsky, I am sure you appreciate that after laughing my t**s off I had to comment.

Jorgan bewarned, keep this up and beautiful women half your age will bump into you sharing precisely the same interests and geekiness, and it won’t be long before you realise that nations from America through to Russia are interweaving themselves in your daily life.

Serious point Jorgan, what you have identified here, as teased by Whisk, is the essential core of how to locate submarines or, as I am currently working on, how to predict terrorist attacks.

Anyhow wrong forum, but Whisks response did make me laugh. Wink

Never let's us down.
Smile

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, genuinely amusing everyone! Now bugger-off unless you've got something relevant to contribute Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche...works every day, and simply more reliable and more robust than most...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Porsche...works every day, and simply more reliable and more robust than most...

Yes, this is generally a pretty safe bet. If I was only looking for a 2-seater, I think the 987S Cayman would be high on the list, or maybe Boxster. Numbers are still very high on these at the moment though, especially the Boxster, which are in abundance. 996 is now at the bottom of the price curve, but I'm reticent in buying something that's likely to cost a fortune when it needs fixing, which more modern 911s tend to.

Some people say VW Corrado, but tbh I don't see that. BMW E46 M3s are still also pretty common, and they don't command anything like the premium the (E46) CSL does, or the CS. A much longer term one that I feel, again due to numbers.

Interestingly, there's a website called "how many are left" which gives DVLA figures for models, indicating numbers that are still licenced or SORN. It's indicative when Licenced & SORN numbers get close, or SORN numbers exceed those licenced (VED paid); people starting to hide them away. These numbers are very similar for both GTV V6 and Cup editions, and the afore mentioned Impreza P1 - there are now many more cars hidden away SORN in garages, than out on the road.
AndyS..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1994 Mini Cooper and a 2011 Defender. I've had an offer on the Mini this week and an offer on the Defender in the last month. But maybe that means they're peaking and it's not a good time to buy? The chap who wants the Mini is very persistent, he's started leaving me voice mail messages at regular intervals.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:
I have a 1994 Mini Cooper and a 2011 Defender. I've had an offer on the Mini this week and an offer on the Defender in the last month. But maybe that means they're peaking and it's not a good time to buy? The chap who wants the Mini is very persistent, he's started leaving me voice mail messages at regular intervals.

Well, the Defender isn't made any more, and it'll always have a cult following. Much the same for the 'classic' Mini. I guess some people will start buying-up or keeping Defenders now, for that reason. Neither appeals to me, personally.
doug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVR ? You'll never get bored Very Happy

ducks and runs before Ted shows up Sprint
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My history is not the best here, having sold my immaculate, very early Porsche 3.2 Carrera (the "YUPY" one with whale tail), for £12000 in 2000 (worth £50,000 today)

I would look at an Alfa 156 GTA - the final 3.2 Basso engine is pretty reliable and the car is beautiful and light, much better than the 159 with GM engine

A really good, low mileage mk1 Audi TT 3.2, preferably without the recall fitted rear wing - perfectly safe unless you do 150mph on the autobahn

Honda Integra Type R - rare performance Japanese cars are reliable and typically appreciate

Honda Accord Type R

Mercedes C55, I think looks great as an estate, coils springs and none of the technical wizzardry of the E55, hence much more affordable to run

Porsche Cayman 3.4

Finally in Switzerland, you can pick up a low mileage Maserati 4200 GT for under £15000 - this has the same engine as the Ferrari 430 @ 20% of the cost.

And a really stupid one, a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo (these used to go for really low prices, not sure if that is still the case)

I would avoid most recent cars, with very complex electronics as these may prove to be impossible to keep running in the long term

Switzerland is an excellent place to buy a used super car, they seem to be very cheap compared with the UK
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything mid-90's Jap Exotic metal has soared in value.

I can't see anything Skyline/Scooby/Evo/Supra or anything of that ilk losing any money, and over time should see pretty big increases.

Unfortunately you have missed the boat a bit as these are not really Future classics anymore but actual classics and you will have to pay pretty handsomely to get a good one.

I have a Honda CRX (I've owned Hondas since my early 20's) sat on my drive that if I pulled my finger out and freshened it up would be worth close to 8-10k

I paid over the odds for an excellent example 8 years ago...cost me 3.5k!

I should note, this was because I wanted the car, It was not some excellent clairvoyance or an attempt to make money. It was no more an intentionally wise investment than playing the lottery would be!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Yes, this is generally a pretty safe bet. If I was only looking for a 2-seater, I think the 987S Cayman would be high on the list, or maybe Boxster.

Mrs eJC has a 987 cayman which i use to commute once or twice a week...easy to drive but still fun...a bit basic compared to modern cars, but it's a classic (ish) car that you don't have to feel precious about...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
TVR ? You'll never get bored Very Happy

ducks and runs before Ted shows up Sprint

Ted has never showed up...that was the problem... Smile

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nephew is restoring a Nissan 240 (?) which is a work of art...

oh, and i once had a restored 60s Mini Cooper but spent my life with cooling problems and naff fan belts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: