Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Car Hire Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Car Hire Insurance Reply with quote

I'm off on my jollies this weekend to France.

I'm hiring a car (at great expense) and my highly risk-averse wife insists that we take out their 'full' insurance.

I hire a car in France a few times a year and wondered if anyone knew if there is a 'fully comp' annual insurance policy that any 3rd party offers for car-hire?

I've tried to look into it, I see 'excess' coverage, but can't find any catch-all, full-comp insurance. Trying to understand the car hirer's insurance policies is (probably deliberately) very complex.... It's highly confusing for a simple soul such as me.

Anyone been down this road before and found a solution?

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea...but i did get stung once when i signed for a car in Italy without having read all the small print and ended up paying twice....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Hire Insurance Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
I hire a car in France a few times a year and wondered if anyone knew if there is a 'fully comp' annual insurance policy that any 3rd party offers for car-hire?

I doubt it. Insurers like to know what they insure, not what you feel like renting on the day.

I've never taken "fully comp" since that doesn't really exist. Usually what the rental company offers is "reduced excess". You can normally reduce it to zero but how much that'll cost is another question.

Basically, consider how much you'd pay extra for the rental time (cost is normally per day) vs how much you'd save IF you have an accident. You'd never(...) pay more than the excess anyway.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Hire Insurance Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Gus wrote:

I doubt it. Insurers like to know what they insure, not what you feel like renting on the day.

I've never taken "fully comp" since that doesn't really exist. Usually what the rental company offers is "reduced excess". You can normally reduce it to zero but how much that'll cost is another question.

Basically, consider how much you'd pay extra for the rental time (cost is normally per day) vs how much you'd save IF you have an accident. You'd never(...) pay more than the excess anyway.

Given excesses on car hires can run to 000's of EUR (my last one in Mallorca was EUR 1750), I wouldn't personally want to take the risk, despite never being in an RTA or "prang". As an example, on an annual golf trip I go on, this last year some local pissed up lads decided to throw a brick through the window of the minibus we had hired. We were glad for having an excess protect policy then.

For car hire, I have used these guys: https://www.insurance4carhire.com/european-car-hire-excess-insurance

This has previously covered me for my use of zipcar, UK hire rentals, European hire rentals etc. Never had to claim so far, but everything I read before taking out a policy the first time was good.

You can also get 26% cashback through topcashback at the moment on a policy. And if you don't have topcashback, let me know and I'll refer you Cool
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like stenard i've previously taken out the excess protection policies instead. Think my last one was underwritten by Axa and even covered the cost of things like windscreen, roof and tyres which aren't covered (even with an excess) under most car rental agreements. It was brand/car agnostic and covered me for that specific period. It was ~20 if i recall, which was about 10-15% of the cost of (semi) protecting my excess through the hire company.

I worked for a hire firm in the UK, and as a result will always cover myself against any hire! The terms are always so badly in the favour of the company that the customer barely has a leg to stand on. You certainly won't get anywhere arguing in a foreign country where the helpful staff suddenly forget how to speak English!! Rolling Eyes
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Like stenard i've previously taken out the excess protection policies instead. Think my last one was underwritten by Axa and even covered the cost of things like windscreen, roof and tyres which aren't covered (even with an excess) under most car rental agreements. It was brand/car agnostic and covered me for that specific period. It was ~20 if i recall, which was about 10-15% of the cost of (semi) protecting my excess through the hire company.

I worked for a hire firm in the UK, and as a result will always cover myself against any hire! The terms are always so badly in the favour of the company that the customer barely has a leg to stand on. You certainly won't get anywhere arguing in a foreign country where the helpful staff suddenly forget how to speak English!! Rolling Eyes

I have this kind of excess cover policy added on to my Pedal Cover contents.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

I have this kind of excess cover policy added on to my Pedal Cover contents.

I have the 50 excess protect on my contents insurance too. But I didn't think it would have covered a variety of hire car excesses (they had said it would cover a personal motor car excess). I will have to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: