Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New to Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1ronm4nmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: New to Forum Reply with quote

Good evening everyone, new to the forum and my first post.

Hey there 👋

So a little about myself, my name is Michael Iím 26 and from Fife Scotland. My story began 3 years ago summer of 2015. I decided to take part in my local Gala race (5 mile). I completed the race and it was then i first realised that I need to change. Out of 120 runners I was almost dead last, which at 23 and racing against men and women 30 odd year older than me this was an embarrassment. The Race photographs were unbelievable. I never looked at myself as being as overweight and unfit as I was. I was 16 and a half stone!

Shortly after this embarrassment I decided to form my own running club, ironic in the fact I could not run myself. Fast forward 3 years and Iím now done to 13 stone 4 pounds. Iíve ran 5 half marathons and dozens of other shorter races inbetween.

Back in February I took up swimming, March I got my first road bike and April done my first pool based sprint triathlon at St Andrews finishing in 1:33. In July I done my first open water sprint triathlon at Lochore Meadows finishing 46th out of 170 in a time of 1:21.

Now I have my sights on Ironman. Iím not in a rush to do this and was looking to do one in 4 years time for my 30th. Long time still to go I know but I wanted to know which one you guys recommend for my first one? I have set up a Twitter account and would love for you guys to give me a follow (1ronm4nmike). I will be posting regularl updates of my Ironman training journey.

Any hints and tips would be hugely appreciated, here are some of my times below:

Swim 750m - 13:52

Bike 14 mile - 40 mins

Run 5K - 21 mins

Run 10K - 44 mins

Run Half Marathon - 1:46
tin pot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What youíve described is not ironic - how did the running club go?

Youíre performance is fine, you just need to increase the volume and distance over time to get you to the start line of a long distance triathlon event.

Trust the training, and youíll make it.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your splits are better than mine and I've done 2 "normal" IMs and a few extreme IMs (in mountains) - and I'm 45. If you "simply" want to complete an ironman then you are well on your way - if you want to compete it's a different story altogether.

Only thing you need to do is keep at it, work up towards some long days out on the bike (100 milers), and learn the 4th discipline which is eating while exercising. The long bike rides will teach you that one.

But be careful with the running, that's without a doubt the one that hurts the body the most. Long runs on a body that's not used to it is heavy punishment for the joints so build up slowly.

Then when you some day feel like a weekend warrior test go for a 21 mile run. Most people break at 20 miles, seems to be the critical point, and it's good to know what it feels like before the day. It can be passed but it will hurt. Smile

Well done so far, most impressive!
1ronm4nmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin pot wrote:
What youíve described is not ironic - how did the running club go?

Youíre performance is fine, you just need to increase the volume and distance over time to get you to the start line of a long distance triathlon event.

Trust the training, and youíll make it.

Hey 👋

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the running club is going really well. Itís on twice a week and has 30-40 runners showing up on both nights, itís really snow balled since 2015. Im training tonight with the running club and then hitting the local pool for a swim. Will probably be 1000m as itís all I will mamaneg with the time I have. Open water swimming on Wednesday nights too. Smile
1ronm4nmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
All your splits are better than mine and I've done 2 "normal" IMs and a few extreme IMs (in mountains) - and I'm 45. If you "simply" want to complete an ironman then you are well on your way - if you want to compete it's a different story altogether.

Only thing you need to do is keep at it, work up towards some long days out on the bike (100 milers), and learn the 4th discipline which is eating while exercising. The long bike rides will teach you that one.

But be careful with the running, that's without a doubt the one that hurts the body the most. Long runs on a body that's not used to it is heavy punishment for the joints so build up slowly.

Then when you some day feel like a weekend warrior test go for a 21 mile run. Most people break at 20 miles, seems to be the critical point, and it's good to know what it feels like before the day. It can be passed but it will hurt. Smile

Well done so far, most impressive!

Thanks!

Yeah the aim is to just finish an Ironman in one peace ✌️

My longest bike ride so far since I got my bike in March is 58 so almost double that still to go. I felt ok doing that distance and it wasnít the flattest of routes.

Longest run ever was 17 mile, again it did begin to hurt but I did manage to finish. Iíve heard Lanzarote is the place to go for Ironman and Iím imagining that this will be a hilly course with all the mountains they have there 😂
Mungo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people break at 20 miles, seems to be the critical point, and it's good to know what it feels like before the day. It can be passed but it will hurt. Smile

Oh yes.... I'm shifting well at the min but 30-35 k gets me every time, not even a gradual slow down, just bang.
It bands
Cramp
Gastro

With IMUK Next year need to address this.

Welcome to the original poster, your splits are decent, with volume and heart you will easily complete the long race.

As someone else said, competing for that long may take more work.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi good work so far OP.

Re Ironman, getting round is not as hard as some like to make out. With a good volume of training over winter it would be reachable next year. A sensible approach, however, would be to do 2/3 halves next year off the back of a decent winter then press the button for the year after.

'Racing' an Ironman, different gravy. A multi year complete life commitment.

Recommendations: Ironman Wales. Magnificent.

http://www.blacklinelondon.com/ironman-wales-report/

(not me by the way)
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was roughly where you are now 3 years ago, however, I was 43 years old.

You could complete an Ironman next year no problem, and probably get a reasonable time with a moderate level of training (like 7 hours per week). However, I wouldn't recommend it, pysically it would be a shock, and there is a good chance that you would tick the box and move on.

I would train over the winter, especially on a Turbo trainer, I would practice swimming a couple of times a week, ideally at a coached session - many public pools have coached sessions or your local Tri Club will do them. Next year start the season with one or 2 sprint triathlons, then enter a couple of Olympic distance Tris - you don't need much recovery time even from an OD. Then by mid season tri a Half Ironman and possibly do another at the end of the season. The following year put all of your energy and training into completing a full Ironman

Last year I did my first full IM, I loved every minute of it and finished in under 12 hours. This year I took things a lot more seriously, and have just completed my second Ironman, in 10h50m (somewhat slower than my target I may add), it was 10 times more painful than my first, but I learned 10 times as much. Next year I will take another hour off my time, and I now know that it will be 10 times as painful

The key for me was that I was fit enough and well prepared enough to enjoy my first ironman, but I was also fit enough and well prepared enough to know that I could do much better, mentally I am still in that place

Since you found this forum, you will no doubt have come across various Facebook forums - there is a lot of good advice there, but just keep an open mind when you read some of the posts
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
but just keep an open mind when you read some of the posts

Sounds like a good subject for a new thread.
Razz

My 15 minutes of fame
fenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you're in Scotland the Lakesman isn't a huge distance away.

Nice swim, flattish bike route and great support on the run.

After that I'd suggest the Outlaw in Nottingham.

Or you could go to Europe and race there for chances of warmer weather.
IM Switzerland, Frankfurt are good.

Keep up the training.
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to those series of races that were being run in Scotland - I think there was a full IM distance from St Andrews a couple of years ago... also one in the Cairngorms... I was planning on doing both but life events suddenly got in the way.

There was a thread about them a couple of years back... I'm too lazy to look for them...

My 15 minutes of fame
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But being a good citizen I got off my arse and searched... here's one thread about them - did they ever happen?

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99360

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: