Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman for amputees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hefty105

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Ironman for amputees Reply with quote

Hi everyone, obviously new here and looking for some advice, I'm an above knee amputee and cycle a lot, I'm looking to put together an iron distance relay team of ex military amputees for BLESMA ( British limbless ex servicemans association) but we're looking for as flat a race as is possible for obvious reasons, I know people say a flat bike course isn't always the best due to constant power output but as a relay team we don't need to worry about that. Many thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume by your username that you were artillery....

If it doesn't have to branded then I'd head to Roth

Good luck and shout if you need support

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Hefty105

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks JC, I was Arty, 29 regt, but the numbers are just coincidental. It doesn't need to be branded, although it might help with the publicity and fund raising aspect, but I personally am not a fan of the brand, my wife was pulled after the bike in Copenhagen by missing the cutoff by 3 mins due to a thunderstorm.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty105 wrote:
Many thanks JC, I was Arty, 29 regt, but the numbers are just coincidental. It doesn't need to be branded, although it might help with the publicity and fund raising aspect, but I personally am not a fan of the brand, my wife was pulled after the bike in Copenhagen by missing the cutoff by 3 mins due to a thunderstorm.

a bootneck too!!!

the cut offs at copenhagen bike are for the re opening of town, i believe, and thus are rigidly upheld...

Hefty105

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the road closures, but she was in T2 when they came and told her along with 2 others, who again were just a few minutes, I get that you have to have cut times, but it affected no one, and when you've put some much commitment in it seems petty and harsh, I did call them on it via email, as a few people were shown as finishers even though they were over the complete cut off, but strangely they refused to comment!
Roth looks good from the bit of Google fu I've done on it, a friend has mentioned outlaw in Nottingham as being fast too, so I'll keep looking.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw is a good race by all accounts

fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty105 wrote:
I get the road closures, but she was in T2 when they came and told her along with 2 others, who again were just a few minutes, I get that you have to have cut times, but it affected no one, and when you've put some much commitment in it seems petty and harsh, I did call them on it via email, as a few people were shown as finishers even though they were over the complete cut off, but strangely they refused to comment!

as a ITU/BTF Technical Official (referee) I would say that the use of "petty" and "harsh" are a bit OTT. there are many reasons why cut-offs are put into place and they should be upheld - so the fact of being in T2 means nothing if the cut-off says that they must be on the run by a certain time as in T2 is not on the run. and where do you stop being lenient on this? yes, I feel sorry for athletes when we have to stop them at certain points as they are outside the cut-off, but when you sign up to race then you agree to these terms - and it's not an easy task to placate someone when they are in bits or angry, but it's something us TOs have to do when it happens.

as for those given finishing times when over the complete cut-off, it happens - but were they given finishers medals or t-shirts (if applicable)? possibly not.

however, saying all that, this was an IM event and as they have their own rulebook they may look at things in a different light.
Hefty105

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough fat Buddha, the thread seems to have strayed a bit, can anyone else suggest a fast full distance course? We're all pretty fit guys, mostly ex infantry or tier 2s but obviously missing a limb or two makes things considerably harder, and as I'm hoping to do the bike leg flat would be better as long climbs with an above knee prosthesis are pretty punishing, and I sometimes think on fast descents that if I should come off, I've that couch titanium in side and outside my body the clean up would wonder what's me and what's the bike.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut offs are always contentious.

Not in tri but in another field we had a conversation with a client who was complaining that when he was 'only a day late' we would bill him in accordance with the contract, so we gave him a price which would extend his deadlines by a day (or in his view, allow him to be a day late) and he paid up.

Cue the next event when he was a day late on the revised schedule (or two days late on the original if you like) and he starts complaining about being billed again.

It doesn't matter what the field is, nobody likes cutoff's and people just have to live with them, because if you move it, someone else then complains about just missing that cutoff time.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty105 wrote:
Fair enough fat Buddha, the thread seems to have strayed a bit, can anyone else suggest a fast full distance course? We're all pretty fit guys, mostly ex infantry or tier 2s but obviously missing a limb or two makes things considerably harder, and as I'm hoping to do the bike leg flat would be better as long climbs with an above knee prosthesis are pretty punishing, and I sometimes think on fast descents that if I should come off, I've that couch titanium in side and outside my body the clean up would wonder what's me and what's the bike.

Florida is flat and fast (my IM PB); Kalmar in Sweden is also flat
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic,

A climber called Jamie Andrew who is a quadriplegic did his own Iron man a few years ago http://www.jamieandrew.com/jamies-story/titanum-man/

We used to occasional swim at the same time in the Commie pool in Edinburgh. He was surprisingly quick.

So many races so little time.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to race in the UK definitely look at Outlaw.

It's super flat and has the big race feel. Its venue is also very self-contained with the swim and run and transitions all taking place at HolmePierrepont rowing lake. It would make supporting the athletes a breeze. It's also very accessible. I'm sure as ex-military you can logistically get over any issues as far as accessibility goes but no need to make things hard.

It also really welcomes Relay teams which not all races do!

But that's only if you are racing in the UK

FWIW I had a teammate stopped in Copenhagen a bit prematurely for my liking They definitely seem a little overzealous there. And if it was 2013 it was one hell of a storm that hit (and cleared for the run) so a little leniency wouldn't have gone amiss!
Hefty105

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kalmar doesn't allow relay teams, we looked at Florida, but the humidity is a problem for us, we wear silicone liners on our residual limbs, to protect them from the hard sockets, the downside is that amputees sweat more anyway to maintain stable core temperature and incased in silicone it's even worse!
Ti man, wow, humbling!
I think all things considered outlaw seems to be the way to go, many thanks all.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty105 wrote:

Thanks, Kalmar doesn't allow relay teams, we looked at Florida, but the humidity is a problem for us, we wear silicone liners on our residual limbs, to protect them from the hard sockets, the downside is that amputees sweat more anyway to maintain stable core temperature and incased in silicone it's even worse!
Ti man, wow, humbling!
I think all things considered outlaw seems to be the way to go, many thanks all.

wasn't humid at all. it takes place end Oct/early Nov when Florida temps are not too bad (was a high of 28C on race day) and humidity was not an issue, but understand that if you have concerns about it then best to avoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: