Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Where are the TT bikes with Disc Brakes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T2T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Where are the TT bikes with Disc Brakes? Reply with quote

Thinking of buying a TT bike now but perhaps I should hold off until spring 2019 when they come with disc brakes. Aero benefits, wider tyres, greater stopping power and more bling..

Also did Canondale not release a TT bike for 2018?

Sep Velo South
Oct Challenge Pegeura
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where are the TT bikes with Disc Brakes? Reply with quote

T2T wrote:
Aero benefits, wider tyres, greater stopping power and more bling..

No, no, yes, yes.

So the answer as to whether you should wait seems to be 50/50. Smile
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but having a huge block of an ugly mechanical mess bolted to the most visible part of the bike isn't 'bling' in my books.

They look ugly as hell.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when have "bling" and "aesthetics" anything to do with each other?

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a handful available at the moment, and they are top-end bikes (QR PR6 Disc, Parlee & Super Slice). I don't think you can buy the Super Slice yet in the UK? But just like road bikes, it will trickle-down soon enough.

You only have to look at the Parlee TT bike and the latest Scott Foil, to see how the aero-integration is already improving. Once the industry turns it's full attention to aero disc bikes, then the results will improve dramatically.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Sorry, but having a huge block of an ugly mechanical mess bolted to the most visible part of the bike isn't 'bling' in my books.

They look ugly as hell.

Is it the looks, functionality or both that you're not in favour of?

This is probably the first time ever, I've seen you not advocate for new technology.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
This is probably the first time ever, I've seen you not advocate for new technology.

Which technology do you think I've advocated for ?

As I have said many times, I have no problems with anyone using whatever they like, but that when people claim 'X is better' with zero evidence they get all snarky.

But to answer you point - yes they look pug ugly, and I contend that for the vast majority of road miles, they offer no advantage at all. People who spend 99.9% of their road miles either going slowly, going flat, not in the rain, are wasting their money.

Technology improvement generally comes as a rest of a defined need in response to a defined problem. Better brakes on cars came about because cars were crashing all too often and people died. GPS devices on bikes came about because people wanted to know their statistics and they couldn't improve because they couldn't record their data in real time, or that they were always getting lost Smile.

Allegedly 'better' brakes on a bike - a solution looking for a problem which doesn't exist in the overwhelming majority of use.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Allegedly 'better' brakes on a bike - a solution looking for a problem which doesn't exist in the overwhelming majority of use.

But that's where a lot of riders would disagree i.e. they believe their riding does benefit from the use of disc brakes. But obviously we can't put a number or statistic on that; but generally, riding on UK roads in normal UK weather, many feel disc braking offers a distinct advantage.

Given your move to eTap, what advantage do you believe wireless electronic shifting offers over well maintained mechanical, in terms of shifting performance? We've already witnessed one big weakness - you losing the batteries.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
But that's where a lot of riders would disagree i.e. they believe their riding does benefit from the use of disc brakes. But obviously we can't put a number or statistic on that; but generally, riding on UK roads in normal UK weather, many feel disc braking offers a distinct advantage

That doesn't alter the statistics that the overwhelming vast majority of miles do not result in brake fail carnage. Sure, they can believe whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true. Its like painting a bike red in the hope it makes you faster. Its the blind claims of 'better' being a fact and making that claim to everyone I have a problem with.

Jorgan wrote:
Given your move to eTap, what advantage do you believe wireless electronic shifting offers over well maintained mechanical, in terms of shifting performance? We've already witnessed one big weakness - you losing the batteries

No meaningful advantage whatsoever. But it looks nicer to me and that's why I don't go around telling everyone that eTap is right for them and its 'better'. I only bought them because I had the money and I'm too lazy to keep mechanical ones adjusted.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
That doesn't alter the statistics that the overwhelming vast majority of miles do not result in brake fail carnage. Sure, they can believe whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true. Its like painting a bike red in the hope it makes you faster. Its the blind claims of 'better' being a fact and making that claim to everyone I have a problem with.

True. Although I'm happy to claim that with full-carbon rims, disc brakes perform better in my experience, particularly in the wet!

GrahamO wrote:
No meaningful advantage whatsoever. But it looks nicer to me and that's why I don't go around telling everyone that eTap is right for them and its 'better'. I only bought them because I had the money and I'm too lazy to keep mechanical ones adjusted.

Yes, fully understand that, it does look good and does away with gear cables. My only reservation is reliability and redundancy, and the fact I really don't like double-tap shifters (do eTap levers work in the same way as the mechanical shifters?).
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
That doesn't alter the statistics that the overwhelming vast majority of miles do not result in brake fail carnage. Sure, they can believe whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true.

The overwhelming majority of bike miles don't need brakes at all. You don't want decent brakes for the 99% of time you are riding on flat dry roads away from idiot drivers, you want them for the 1%, or 0.1% or 0.01% of time you need to stop to save your life (or just avoid an embarrassing trip to the hedge).

I don't think you are denying that disc brakes offer superior stopping power in certain conditions, and no worse in all others. So why not choose that option if stopping is important to you?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
True. Although I'm happy to claim that with full-carbon rims, disc brakes perform better in my experience, particularly in the wet!

But when you see people riding in the dry on the flat, slowly, telling everyone that disc brakes are much better I have to laugh. We get them here - in the sand on an optically flat track (like 25 feet rise in 20 miles yesterday) and them doing 16mph telling us how the brakes make a difference. You hardly need brakes here unless you're in a pack.

Jorgan wrote:
do eTap levers work in the same way as the mechanical shifters?

You tap once and they change. Its as simple as that. There's a tiny lever behind the brake lever but instead of forcing a cable to move (and maybe moving the end of the lever 1 inch or more to get the cable to move enough, it only ahs to move 1mm. Unless you use the granny ring you can get by on one battery as it only needs one to change the rear shifter.

The only practical difference is that the left button moves the rear shifter up to a bigger ring and the right one moves it to a smaller ring. Press both and the front changes. Its very smooth and there are those who say its not as quick as a mechanical and they could be right but I'm not good enough to tell.

Its also integrated into a Garmin so you can see gear ratios, shifting patterns usage etc while actually riding.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day there will be a small, but very vocal minority, who will never like disc brakes. However, the reality is that in a couple of years there will be almost no new bikes without discs. For manufacturers it simply doesn't make economic sense to design and build 2 variants of the same bike
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

You may only need them once...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: