Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Italy Emilia-Romagna - Sept 22nd 2018

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honest Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: IM Italy Emilia-Romagna - Sept 22nd 2018 Reply with quote

Just starting a new thread to see if any other folks are signed up for the 2nd running of IM Italy in September, and to get any views from those who did it last year.

Generally speaking I've heard good reports from people who did the inaugural event in 2017, even if the bike course was the standard draft fest expected in the flatter IM races, albeit not as bad as Barcelona. Any other views on any of the courses or the event in general?

Never been to that part of Italy so really looking forward to doubling it up as a "summer" holiday and seeing some flamingos Cool Very Happy
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it last year, a few comments:

1. Getting there is a bit of a ballache, think I had a long transfer from Bologna. But once there it's a doddle - everything in one place, big marquee on the beach for all your briefings etc.
2. I liked Cervia - felt like a bit of Italy so great for the add on holiday (if you do Barcelona Callela is a classic 'Brits abroard' resort full of places that serve full English breakfast etc).
3. Swim was quite a complicated 2 loop with Aussie exit affair, so get familiar with the layout. That said, nice calm sea, perfect water temp.
4. Bike is a draft fest as noted. Some of the roads were narrow and also out and back so they were not able to get the draft motos down these, drafting was appalling. Some roads were a bit rough. They did say that this was a 'compromised' route to get the event established and that they were hoping to negotiate some better road closures and a better course in future years.
5. Bike course was also pretty interesting - although largely flat the 700m odd of climbing was 1 hill done twice - it's quite a dig which I was not expecting, but a great part of the course - you climb up through vineyards and through a village at the top. Nice descent too...
6. Run was fantastic, by far the best Ironman run course I have ever done. 4 laps - each lap went around the harbour, through some squares and around the town (which is completely shut down, wide roads but very leafy and plenty of shade and had loads of coffee shops/restaurants/bars etc with outside seating for your support to see you as you go by) and then a nice quiet bit in a park before repeating. Absolutely loved the run.

So yes, great choice and although the bike could be improved with it was clear even from the first running that they had nailed a good one and it was here to stay.
Whitters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be participating this year after spectating last year (withdrew a month before due to bike crash). I'd just add to what's already been said that transition is long (100-200m up the beach and then about 600m from changing tent to exit I think) and narrow, and I was predicting chaos in there with people getting in each other's way but actually it all seemed pretty calm.

Weather wise, most of the week was lovely, low 20s and not much wind but the day after race day was rainy and much colder so be prepared. Swim was wetsuit optional.

Bike course - was mentioned at the briefing that it was long (186km I think - TRO_Saracen may be able to comment on whether that turned out to be true), but also as TRO says, it was said that they were looking to make amendments in future years.

We're staying at Hotel Universal which is bang opposite transition bike exit/entry, and also end of bike lap 1. It has a bar and outside terrace open to the public so can be a good place to spectate from before walking the 10 minutes or so up to the centre where the run action is. Getting around the run course is a doddle for spectators too and if you've got someone supporting you there's loads of opportunity for them to follow you.

For day after recovery nosh I'd recommend Al Pirata (fillet steak, lobster etc - www.ristorantealpirata.it) and we'll be booking a table there for Sunday this year, it gets busy.

After being a frustrated onlooker last year I'm really looking forward to this year's event, maybe see you out there Robbo
Honest Robbo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys, thanks for the intel! Smile

I did Barcelona last year so I'm definitely ready for a more authentically "local" location - although Calella was nice enough to be fair, their Oktoberfest started the day after the race Cool and the Catalan Referendum meant we got to see some good old fashioned public disorder...

I'm staying somewhere in Pinarella (Buratti), looks not too far from the Expo etc. Also flying in and out of Bologna on Ryanair ( Mad ) but I'll have a car so should be relatively straightforward.

Transition sounds similar to Mallorca, i.e. very long bike rows from tent to exit.

Saracen, when you say the Bertinoro climb is a "quite a dig" do you mean unexpectedly long, steep in parts, or both? I'm a (ahem) steady climber... so I'd like to get a gauge for my own planning. If you know the Austria course, would you say it's similar to the Rupertiberg? I'll recce before the race but any early insight welcome Smile

Whitters, thanks for the spectator's eye view - and yes, I'll have folks with me so that's great to hear it seems to be spectator friendly. Indeed maybe see you there or at least for a cold beer afterwards!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's neither hugely long or steep by 'real climb' standards (I don't know the Rupertiberg) just sticks out with the rest of the course flat.

Something around 8-10% mainly, around 10-12 mins after some false flat beforehand IIRC, I think your 'steady climbing' will do you fine. My comment was probably because I hadn't recce'd the course and it being the first run of the event I went in blind.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't going to do an IM next year, however, this event does look very interesting
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great swim, boring/horrible bike & really nice run. If they changed the bike to a more interesting course & the locals embraced the event a bit then it would be superb.
Whitters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated course maps are available, several changes over last year:

- swim is now anti-clockwise
- transition has been moved
- bike looks the same
- the run now doesn't go through the pine forest and is anti-clockwise

Surprised and a bit disappointed about the run changes, all the feedback I read about the run said that the forest section was really nice, but we'll see on the day
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, just wondering how people got on as I am very tempted by this for next year as well as the holiday afterwards.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Misses likes the look of this ( shes not doing it ) well the location anyway Idea

Does it sell out ?if so how quick ?
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also tempted by this, but it's 2 weeks after Nice and don't fancy going there and back twice, shame it wasn't a week earlier.

Jeff
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned. Quick thoughts;

The swim was a jellyfish soup, I got stung on the face/lips as did most of the other people I spoke to. They were so bad that the race director called it a wetsuit swim even though it was above legal temp, due to 'safety' reasons and the type of jellfyfish present. One or two people went skins and had a tough time with the stings.
The bike was mainly a motorway that had been shut for the day with a steep hill at one end, two loops. Pretty miserable in the sun/heat (30 degrees), just a flat continuous TT effort. Drafting was nowhere near as bad as Barca, marshalls were keen. Road surface, good.
The run was the best bit, round the town, the locals were great, I really enjoyed that.

In terms of the place itself, it is genuinely a lovely area, I took the Mrs and she had a great time, plenty of nice hotels, bars and restaurants nearby. Logistics were fine, Bologna airport with a hire car worked well for us.

I suspect if you wanted a fast/euro IM, this could work well for you. Temperature is normally much lower I am told and the jellies may have just been a bit of bad luck.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
Honest Robbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Cheshire's comments above... the race was plonked in the middle of an unseasonable heatwave for the area - low 30s and humid. Two days after the race it was 19 and (very) windy... Shocked

Swim was really fast for me despite the mass hoards of jellyfish... I was aware of several stings on my face and hands, the pain wasn't too bad but I guess you don't know how much of your energy is being used in the background. Personally speaking, the heat was a massive factor from about 60km on the bike onwards... I think my feet must have swollen because all of a sudden my bike shoes didn't fit me anymore Very Happy . The wheels started to come off on lap two and it turned into one, long hot day of suffering after that.

In the end, I was pleased to finish when many others called it a day (>300 DNFs?). The bike course could do with some more bumps to break up the endless flatness, but other than that I thought it was a good course.

I will say that Cervia and the surrounding area was proper "end-of-season" dead outside of the four day period around the race. Bear that in mind if you're thinking of using it as a holiday race.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest Robbo wrote:
I concur with Cheshire's comments above... the race was plonked in the middle of an unseasonable heatwave for the area - low 30s and humid. Two days after the race it was 19 and (very) windy... Shocked

Swim was really fast for me despite the mass hoards of jellyfish... I was aware of several stings on my face and hands, the pain wasn't too bad but I guess you don't know how much of your energy is being used in the background. Personally speaking, the heat was a massive factor from about 60km on the bike onwards... I think my feet must have swollen because all of a sudden my bike shoes didn't fit me anymore Very Happy . The wheels started to come off on lap two and it turned into one, long hot day of suffering after that.

In the end, I was pleased to finish when many others called it a day (>300 DNFs?). The bike course could do with some more bumps to break up the endless flatness, but other than that I thought it was a good course.

I will say that Cervia and the surrounding area was proper "end-of-season" dead outside of the four day period around the race. Bear that in mind if you're thinking of using it as a holiday race.

I actually don't mind the endless flatness and being on the tribars, but it depends on whether you've trained for it.

Not sure about those jellyfish though.

Jeff
Whitters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts - yep, loads of jellyfish, felt some mild stinging for a few hours afterwards but nothing too bad (my team mate though, he got some proper GBH, massive stings all over his chest and severe pain in practice a couple of days before) so the wetsuit decision was the right one (I would say that though...) That did make the swim very fast, 12 minute swim PB for me felt like a cruise.

I like flat TT efforts so I enjoyed the bike. The motorway section is about 40km in total with the rest on decent roads - surfaces pretty good for the most part. Not much to look at really (flamingos were a bit too far away to see in any detail) but it's a bit nicer once you get towards the hill.. which is significant but not a killer. Really good descent too, flew down that both times. Didn't see too much drafting but did see plenty of people in the penalty tents.

I really enjoyed the run, ice down the top at pretty much every aid station was very welcome. Quite a lot of the course was shaded but it was hot where not, particularly the first 2 laps before it cooled a bit.

Finished in 10:56 which I was over the moon with and then spent a few days in Venice eating ice cream and pizza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: