Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The IM Nice/Lanza bike/run comparison thread :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: The IM Nice/Lanza bike/run comparison thread :) Reply with quote

Looking at destination race options. Swim & bike are big ticks for France, but I can't help thinking that run course looks awful along the promenade?

For reference, I thought Outlaw was soul destroying around that rowing lake 4 times, and wouldn't be keen to repeat it. I like courses with variety, particularly when the suffering kicks-in.

Is Lanza the same?

Last edited by Jorgan on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty dull, So dull I didn't bother and went back to the apartment. So can't really comment

(actually was pretty ill so DNF'd because of that.)

But there is really very little to look at and it can be devilishly hot, and completely exposed to the sun, No shelter at all. It's pretty bland. The view is basically the same and unending as you head either away or toward the finish.

The swim is great and that bike is just incredible. Easily the best bike on the circuit.

Lanza run is totally different.

Despite looking similar it's actually pretty undulating and there is always something going on. Drunk tourists in bars Girls Dancing on Humvee's, Wierd outdoor exercise parks, Close up of the runways at the airport. if variety is your thing it's great.

I am actually the total opposite, I really like the Outlaw run. I am happy just focusing on the pain and just running. when runs are bitty and broken up I just lose focus.

TBH If you haven't done Lanza I would just do it. It is the Best IM out there IMO. Kona Aside...Nice was great but Lanza is just epic
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
TBH If you haven't done Lanza I would just do it. It is the Best IM out there IMO. Kona Aside...Nice was great but Lanza is just epic

Haha, just back from family holiday in Lanza - feck me it was blowing a hooley most days! Wind seemed to really pick-up mid morning, there were umbrellas and drinks all over the place some afternoons Rolling Eyes It's my only visit there, but on one particular run, I was running along a dirt track into a hellish wind, and it reminded me of an arid version of the Falklands!

If only they could combine the Nice swim/run with a more interesting run, or have no wind in Lanza Laughing
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does amaze me how little thought and effort goes into IM Runs, there are great swim and Bike Courses but the runs are pretty much all dull.

As Far as destination Races go, I think my next is to be Florida. And actually, the run there looks pretty good as it heads into a wildlife reserve. The bike...not so much but uber flat. <900ft over the entire course!

Oddly I am having trouble getting the wife on board Confused
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM Italy run is really nice, as is the swim but the bike is boring instead.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
It does amaze me how little thought and effort goes into IM Runs, there are great swim and Bike Courses but the runs are pretty much all dull.

I guess they want flat, easy runs with simple logistics.

I would have found Outlaw easier if it was 2 lake laps at the start; I started to go 'downhill' on the second time 'up' the lake at about halfway. But then I always start to hurt around 20km, and that's where the variety/dissociation helps me.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Florida run and don't get excited about 'wildlife reserve', you are really running through a park.....you see very little apart from the path you are on which doesn't really go anywhere. That said the run overall isn't bad compared to some... it has some variety and only 2 out and backs.

IM Italy run is my favourite by far, I also like IM Wales run with each lap being 3 sections: long uphill drag, long downhill, lovely clip through town with phenomenal support.

I've no idea whether the Italy bike is boring: I was too wound up by the utterly blatant drafting going on, it made Barcelona look an honest race.....
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

IM Italy run is my favourite by far, I also like IM Wales run with each lap being 3 sections: long uphill drag, long downhill, lovely clip through town with phenomenal support.

Yeah, I liked the Wales run, but more because of the interaction with drunk people rather than the run actually being nice Laughing It is a good course to run as you say as it's so broken up. But still long drags, which I like.

I hated the town section, which was most the intersting as it was so bitty. Getting to a corner brings out the desire to walk in me. Long endless drags I can switch off and endure much better.

All though the 4th time through Town was epic I smashed that last 5k more so than any other Mathathon I have done! Really wanted that race OVER!

Hmmmm Well Florida is pretty good at promising a lot only to find a bloke in a mouse suit. So I won't be surprised too much if it's oversold Laughing
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I did the Florida run and don't get excited about 'wildlife reserve', you are really running through a park.....you see very little apart from the path you are on which doesn't really go anywhere. That said the run overall isn't bad compared to some... it has some variety and only 2 out and backs.

agree there - that reserve is nothing more than quiet parkland for the run section, although the sign as you enter it warning about alligators needs a double take! they however are well away from where you run. the rest of the run is basically through housing estates, albeit quite nice houses, and with plenty of owners out supporting with 1 or 2 unofficial aid stations (including one offering free beer when I did it - had to partake in some on my final stretch to the finish!)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
with 1 or 2 unofficial aid stations (including one offering free beer when I did it - had to partake in some on my final stretch to the finish!)

Alcohol free I hope, or you should have been DQ'd Wink
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
with 1 or 2 unofficial aid stations (including one offering free beer when I did it - had to partake in some on my final stretch to the finish!)

Alcohol free I hope, or you should have been DQ'd Wink

didn't care as it was being staffed by some attractive ladies (not the local Hooters staff sadly) so it was a good time to stop, have a chat, etc...... Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Outlaw (on the old harder course Wink ) had an aid station staffed by ladies from the local Hooters restaurant.

It wasn't as good as it sounded. Sad Very Happy
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a lot of the lap courses get boring at lap 3/4, Barcelona was hard going when you got out of town and just the sound of people running.

Although the frequent support at Frankfurt made it a bit easier mentally.

Also wonder what Hamburg would be like, at least I think a lot of it was under shelter.

I fancy that Alpsman next year, but wonder if I can get in enough cycling before early June, especially if we have another bad winter.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
I fancy that Alpsman next year, but wonder if I can get in enough cycling before early June, especially if we have another bad winter.

Isn't it always grim up north?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
The first Outlaw (on the old harder course Wink ) had an aid station staffed by ladies from the local Hooters restaurant.

It wasn't as good as it sounded. Sad Very Happy

yeh - was very disappointing. and if I remember, the girls had packed up and gone home by the time slower athletes were on the run
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: