Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The IM Nice/Lanza bike/run comparison thread :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:
I fancy that Alpsman next year, but wonder if I can get in enough cycling before early June, especially if we have another bad winter.

Isn't it always grim up north?

Ha, yes, but different levels of grimness Smile

We've had our week of summer for this year, got my winter kit back out.

Jeff
OldNick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No run is soul destroying when you're overtaking others doing the ironman shuffle or puking by the roadside. Least of all Nice.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
The first Outlaw (on the old harder course Wink ) had an aid station staffed by ladies from the local Hooters restaurant.

It wasn't as good as it sounded. Sad Very Happy

yeh - was very disappointing. and if I remember, the girls had packed up and gone home by the time slower athletes were on the run

I went 13.24 at that race and think I saw them on my first two laps, then they were gone.

More memorable was the famous purple bra. Cool
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
The first Outlaw (on the old harder course Wink ) had an aid station staffed by ladies from the local Hooters restaurant.

yeh - was very disappointing. and if I remember, the girls had packed up and gone home by the time slower athletes were on the run

I went 13.24 at that race and think I saw them on my first two laps, then they were gone.

I went 12:54 and only remember them on 2 laps. don't recall the purple bra though Sad
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I went 12:54 and only remember them on 2 laps. don't recall the purple bra though Sad

Paul (Admin) had it proudly displayed at various parts of the course. I think it said 'Dr Dre' on it Confused
doug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it these that Dr Dre has as his avatar?

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

I saw a guy this morning in full arms & legs like it was winter - it's late July, about 18 degrees at 8am. What will he do when it's 5 degrees?
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:

I saw a guy this morning in full arms & legs like it was winter - it's late July, about 18 degrees at 8am. What will he do when it's 5 degrees?

Zwift ...Obvs
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Take the car.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Take the car.

Yeah, that's what I thought Very Happy
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Lanza run is totally different.

Despite looking similar it's actually pretty undulating and there is always something going on. Drunk tourists in bars Girls Dancing on Humvee's, Wierd outdoor exercise parks, Close up of the runways at the airport. if variety is your thing it's great.

I am actually the total opposite, I really like the Outlaw run. I am happy just focusing on the pain and just running. when runs are bitty and broken up I just lose focus.

TBH If you haven't done Lanza I would just do it. It is the Best IM out there IMO. Kona Aside...Nice was great but Lanza is just epic

Curious, I thought the Lanza run course was pretty dull so I guess I should avoid Nice! At 37C temperature in the sun it was the one run course that persuaded me to train for the heat for future events.

Epic bike course on Lanza though.

On balance I'd not do Lanza again, but I do sections of the bike course each time I go back to La Santa.
fenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's views of the Med on the run but the turn by the airport smells of wee and plane fuel. It's best to run through there as fast as possible.

I'm not sure any IM Marathon course can be that exciting by that point in the race.
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was too boring to be honest, but by halfway I had cramp in my entire body, so not sure my judgement is the best. There were a couple of dead spots without spectators, but not many and sometimes a bit of solitude is nice if you're suffering. Absolutely no real shade though, so a hot day would be tough.

It is at least pretty spectator friendly, so if you have the family (if they're inclined to stand and watch you) at least you get to see them several times.

There's certainly better routes they could have done, but understand why it is like it is for logisitics etc. and I'd happily do it again.
Symes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice is my favourite run course, love it apart from the smell at p!ss corner by the airport. I'm a fan of being able to see each end of the course from the opposite end, plus the pleasantly warm conditions and a view of the Med all the time

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, apart from the bit at the far end, you can see the whole course from anywhere along it. 5km looks like a hell of a long way Wink . It's baking hot with no shade until quite late in the day. It's the only run course I've seen with a medical tent part way along it Shocked .

On the plus side, there are some very pleasant "sights" to be seen on the beach and waiting to cross the course Wink . The 4 lap format is also good from a spectator's point of view and it's as flat a course as you could hope for.

The Lanza course is a bit more varied, with a slightly rolling section for the first/last 2.5km of each lap. Lanza usually has a long lap out past the airport and then one or two shorter laps over the same course.

My pet hate for Lanza is that it's basically out and back on the same path, but with no segregation of people going in both directions and only a short section near the start/finish where it is barriered. This means it can feel quite chaotic and very narrow, especially if you have people running/walking with their supporters (very common).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: