Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The IM Nice/Lanza bike/run comparison thread :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a run thread but... both Lanza and Nice bike courses have pretty nasty reputations - how would people comment on those and perhaps compare with courses such as Wales or Exmoor 70.3? Anyone who has done both Lanza and France, how would you compare the two bikes?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennyOX2 wrote:
I know this is a run thread but... both Lanza and Nice bike courses have pretty nasty reputations - how would people comment on those and perhaps compare with courses such as Wales or Exmoor 70.3? Anyone who has done both Lanza and France, how would you compare the two bikes?

Well I've not done either, but have been to Lanza and southern France. So I would think one is like cycling on Mars in a bad wind, the other is uphill joie de vivre. Very Happy
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennyOX2 wrote:

Have done both Lanza (4 times) and France (just the once)

France bike is pretty much up for the first half and down in the second. Its just a gentle "grind" up - nothing too taxing on the climbs. The down bit is fab and quite technical in places. Stunning scenery though.

Lanza bike is up and down and up and down and windy. The view over La Graciosa is worth the entry fee alone.

Both runs are usually hot. you either like multi laps or don't.

I was going to do France again in 2019 but managed to get a spot in Austria instead.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done Wales, but I did the very first race at Wimbleball in 2006.

Taking out the weather conditions, the terrain is very different. UK events tend to have a succession of short, sharp climbs to sap the legs over time and break up the rhythm.

Nice has one very long climb (21km) and a couple of 6 or 7km climbs. There's a short, steep climb early on, but most of the climbing is shallower and fairly consistent gradient. The descents also tend to be longer and more sweeping than you'd get in the UK.

Lanza probably has more climbing metres than any other M-dot event, but again most of it is not particularly steep and a lot can be tackled on the tri bars. Again, the climbs tend to be longer than you'd encounter in the UK and the descents are generally fast and sweeping.

Lanza is obviously known for its wind, so you can pretty much guarantee that you'll be battling with head and cross winds for a large chunk of the ride. It can get very hot on the bike too, but in my 6 Lanzas it's tended to start off cooler and a bit overcast and then got hot later in the day. Nice was baking hot from the start, particularly on the long climbs.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennyOX2 wrote:

Nasty? I don't think that's the right word!

Epic is the one I would use.

They are completely un-comparable. Despite having similar amounts of elevation it is delivered in a completely different manner.

Lanza feels epic the whole way the harsh landscape, driving winds, and relentless climbing. always feels like a battle. You against the Island. The climbing is delivered as constant uphill struggles. long gentle drags that wear away at you. Add in the wind and it's brutal. Not Nasty, as it is very rewarding!

Nice, is best described as a TDF Stage! It is insanely beautiful, and you can just imagine the TV helicopter overhead getting shots of the castle on the hill and the medieval villages. After an initial flat section it gets lumpy before, just turning uphill and it just doesn't stop! Almost half the elevation is delivered in one huge climb. It probably isn't but feels very HC.

You are the in the Alps proper as you pass through alpine pastures, stunning Valleys, and pristine pine forests. At 75 miles the climbing ends and you lose all that altitude in one long TDF Descent.

It's anything but nasty, it's hard, but not nasty. I had an absolute mare and could barely pedal after an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite. I was in hell. But the scenery was just too epic to not enjoy it.

The nice bike trumps Lanza, but Lanza was the better overall event.

If you want Nasty, head to Wales. That's like filling a sock with nails and #@?# and getting Mike Tyson to repeatedly beat you with it! Laughing

Last edited by SGreg on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Nice, I get the impression it would be worth fitting drops to a TT frame if you could (non integrated) or use an aero road bike with tri bars, because of the topography i.e. straight up & down. Drops are way better on long descents.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
With Nice, I get the impression it would be worth fitting drops to a TT frame if you could (non integrated) or use an aero road bike with tri bars, because of the topography i.e. straight up & down. Drops are way better on long descents.

There is alot of opportunity to get aero and I sped past alot of road bikes on these sections. The climbing is not so severe that you need a road over a TT.

But yeah on those descents I was in a lot of pain and discomfort by the end. I was pretty much crawling by the end and people were flying past on the drops. If you can sort a good aero position on a road bike I do think that's probably best.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

There is alot of opportunity to get aero and I sped past alot of road bikes on these sections. The climbing is not so severe that you need a road over a TT.

But yeah on those descents I was in a lot of pain and discomfort by the end. I was pretty much crawling by the end and people were flying past on the drops. If you can sort a good aero position on a road bike I do think that's probably best.

Disc brakes would be pointless though eh? Wink
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes are for Pussies!
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Wales twice and Nice once. As others have said, they're completely different in terms of how they deliver the elevation; one looooong climb compared to seemingly constant up and down at Wales. Personally found the Nice course 'easier' to deal with in terms of it being a sustained effort rather than short bursts, though ultimately my times were within a couple of minutes of each other at just shy of 6 hours.

Nice wins hands down for scenery though!
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the general feeling is that Lanza & France are similar in the extent of incline but France is one steady climb & Lanza is repetitive up and down with added wind to contend with. Wales steeper shorter climbs and very different t to the others.

Wales Run must be the toughest physically aside from the heat of France & Lanza? Lanza v France Run... both hot but Lanza has wind too. Which is tougher?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: