Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sussex original triathlon Middle distance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Sussex original triathlon Middle distance Reply with quote

Has anyone done this triathlon and do they have any thoughts on it?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not done it but have reffed it a few times and know the bike course very well as I used to live locally to it.

the venue is lovely as it's set in a Capability Brown parkland with the swim in the local lake which can be shallow (especially with recent lack of rain), muddy and weedy and very warm. the bike is tough with lots of challenging ups and downs - not a PB course by a long way!. the run is mainly off road around the grounds of the centre and also hilly so challenging but no problem when dry.

race is very well organised and run by TL Sports

overall I would say it's a challenging course but worth doing if you fancy that
bonker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FB.

I'm signed up to do this with my son who's very keen to do a 70.3 type distance. I was slightly concerned as I couldn't find any race reports or reviews of the event.

My first thought was the swim as I have stopped swimming in my local lake because of the weeds. Perhaps by September we will have had a bit more rain.

Not bothered about a hilly bike and the run sounds great. I much prefer a scenic off road run than slogging around some dismal urban area.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it last year. The weather hadn't been great so my experience maybe quite different to what you will see this year if this dry weather continues.

The swim is murky. Didn't notice any weeds really. It was pretty cold when I did it but as a shallow lake if the weather stays nice it should be warm. Top tip: wear shaded goggles. The buoys are small and for two lengths you swim right into the low sun. Note there is a bit of a run from swim exit to T1.

The bike course is a git. It's only about 76k but there is over a km of climbing. It's 4 laps. First 14km is basically constant climbing. Nothing big but gain elevation all the time. You then lose all the elevation in about 5km. The descent is down a country back road. Condition Is not bad for most of it as it was resurfaced last year. It's a bit twisty though and not closed to traffic so you need to be careful. Unless you are really confident on the TT bike and have great handling I think a road bike is the best option. It's frustrating not to be able to get a load of time back.

The run is also 4 laps and is short. There is 1 fairly big hill that you do 4 times. When I did it it was really muddy and towards the end the hill and the bit at the top were really slippy. I went far too hard on the bike and really struggled on the run.

It's well organised. 1 aid station on the bike which you pass 3 times. You have to stop to get stuff. 1 on the run which you pass 4 times. That was well stocked with coke, water, sweets. Is bloody good value for money. The bike and run course are short, even shorter than what they say. 76km bike and about 17.5 for the run.
bonker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info iwaters, greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: