Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Polar V800? (yet another Garmin HRM fail)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Polar V800? (yet another Garmin HRM fail) Reply with quote

So, after nearly 2 years with Garmin (920) I'm having to send back yet another HRM strap that has failed - a 6 month old HRM Tri. These appear to be very expensive consumables Rolling Eyes Add the fact that the Altimeter is also fecked on the watch and I'm regretting leaving Polar. In fact, lack of ANT+ was the only reason I left Polar in the first place.

So, I'm thinking perhaps the time has come to 'rip off the Garmin plaster', get a Bluetooth Power Meter (pedals) and start-over again with Polar.

Any feedback on the updated V800? It looks way better than the Garmins for a start!
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what failed with the HRM tri?

I'll be honest and say I consider HR monitors consumables. For that reason, I use the Decathlon own branded one for all my biking, picked up a HRM-run pod on the cheap for all my running, use polar soft straps with both that I got on the cheap from ebay/amazon, and only ever use the HRM-Tri in races or OW swimming.

Presume you've followed all the troubleshooting suggestions for the altimeter? Personally, when Garmin will replace with an as-new refurbished watch for so cheap, I don't consider their out of warranty support on the watches bad at all.

Accessories is another matter. I'll agree I was not impressed with the life of the HRM-swim I got bundled with the 920.

Also interested to know what you consider the V800 has that makes it look better than Garmin's features? Genuinely couldn't see anything of note on the spec list that the 920 couldn't do, let alone the later 935 and fenix models.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Just stopped working overnight, much like the HRM-Run before it. Makes me wonder if they're not as waterproof as intended, as it seems to happen overnight after I've rinsed them. Done all the troubleshooting advice (new battery, shorting the contacts etc) - won't connect with anything.

80-odd is a lot for something so 'consumable'.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle Surgery a few miles from work has a Wahoo Tickr in stock - Click & Collect sorted Cool Should provide me with some future redundancy too, when the replacement Garmin Strap goes tits-up. Half the price of the HRM-Tri too.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using the Garmin hard strap that I got with my 305, god knows how many years ago.

I've had a couple of the soft straps as and when I've replaced watches but found them a bit erratic from the start so went back to the hard strap.

Obviously hasn't got the additional features the multisport straps come with but an option if you just want HR and you can still find one.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ dare I say it, but they don't make things like they used to. Ironically in a world where we are supposed to be reducing our consumption, a lot of things are seen as disposable consumables and the quality reflects that, or rather it makes it a fact of life.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

Just stopped working overnight, much like the HRM-Run before it. Makes me wonder if they're not as waterproof as intended, as it seems to happen overnight after I've rinsed them. Done all the troubleshooting advice (new battery, shorting the contacts etc) - won't connect with anything.

80-odd is a lot for something so 'consumable'.

Weird. I've never had a pod go. I've lost them, and the straps wear out, but never had a pod die. The strap wear is why I only generally use the HRM-Tri for races, seeing as the pod is integrated.

The decathlon one is dual ant+ and BT as well, and they sell as just a pod. I posted about it here: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101558. It's only 8 currently, so I might buy another for when I inevitably lose another pod!

EDIT - I just bought two at that price!

Last edited by stenard on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a V800 (bought it) before I got my 920 (DCR giveaway prize). I liked the V800, although it didn't track my one HIM very well (got the swim but somehow lost the bike and run). Other than that one issue it was fine. A bit bulky compared to the 920 (comparable to the 920 set up for quick release). The bike mount was "robust" - basically just a plastic frame to attach the watch to. I probably didn't use it to its full potential (same for 920) but so far I haven't missed any of its functions or noticed anything new that the 920 offers that I'd wished the V800 had. I'd suggest you probably won't go wrong with it. I kept the 920 and sold the V800 because I had some other Garmin kit and wanted to standardise, not because I was unsatisfied with the V800.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I'll be honest and say I consider HR monitors consumables.

I am still using the same HRM since about 2005.

Its just you Jorgan Twisted Evil
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
stenard wrote:

That would make sense, as they made stuff properly back in the 'old' days Exclamation
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
stenard wrote:

Its just you Jorgan Twisted Evil

As I said, it's only the straps that I think are really "consumable". Back in 2005, I presume they were the plastic based straps, so they wouldn't deteriorate (but would be less comfortable). The pods are only "consumable" to the extent I lose them!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

As I said, it's only the straps that I think are really "consumable". Back in 2005, I presume they were the plastic based straps, so they wouldn't deteriorate (but would be less comfortable). The pods are only "consumable" to the extent I lose them!

Not so with the newer Garmin HRM. All of the current models (SWIM, RUN or TRI) have the transmitter integrated into the strap; so if either goes, it's a whole new unit. Quite annoying on my first new-age strap a HRM RUN, the strap started falling apart at the hook/loop end Rolling Eyes But in the end the transmitter broke anyway Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

Not so with the newer Garmin HRM. All of the current models (SWIM, RUN or TRI) have the transmitter integrated into the strap; so if either goes, it's a whole new unit. Quite annoying on my first new-age strap a HRM RUN, the strap started falling apart at the hook/loop end Rolling Eyes But in the end the transmitter broke anyway Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But that's my point. I actively have never bought a newer HRM-run as you can still buy the older version with the detachable pod. So when I got the 920 multisport bundle, I initially just sacked off the advanced run metrics and continued to use my old HRM3, and then eventually got a HRM-run pod on the cheap. I use that one for all of my running, duathlons, etc. The only time I ever use the HRM-Tri is for a triathlon, an aquathlon, or an OW swim session where I want to record my HR.

On that basis, it's getting a handful of uses per year, whilst the replaceable pods and straps are getting the day to day beating of all my biking (the 8 decathlon one) and running (the old HRM-Run).
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just do another search, and the older HRM-run's are clearly a bit harder to come by now, so that does make it slightly more tricky. But you can still get used one's for under 30 on ebay. I think you must have just got unlucky with the pod dying, although that said, I do imagine the one's integrated into the strap are more susceptible to breaking, compared to a sealed self contained pod.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get the old indestructible type from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Monitor-Products-Including-Forerunner-black/dp/B000UOD5QM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533225321&sr=8-5&keywords=garmin+hrm+strap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: