Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Favero Assioma - Pedal Power Meter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1863

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Oh, if you got a Rotor 3D24 tool to sell I'm in the market... Rolling Eyes


We seem to have loads of people who drop round just to use such a thing - no it's not for sale!

That's ebcause it's 30 euro plus 15 euro shipping from Power2Max who seems to be the only ones selling it. I just need to change some chainrings ffs.

My usual LBS doesn't have one but might call around to the others in the area to hear.

Why do you need the spider tool to change some chainrings?

Chainring doesn't fit over the battery compartment on the Classic. The kind of thing you find out after buying (used)...

Are they solid aero chainrings or something? Standard chainrings with the cutouts between the bolt holes fit over my classic fine. I'll admit the Type S is easier (which is what I have on my TT), but the Classic allows standard rings to be changed no problem.

Indeed, it has to be possible. My Classic is bonded to FSA Gossamer cranks. You can't remove the spider from the crank arms, so it has to be possible to fit chainrings without needing to remove the spider.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they arrived, and have been fitted. Despite the wet weather yesterday morning, I took them out for a 60km spin and so far so good! You have to download the Favero App first on your phone, then connect the pedals to the App to activate them (and the warranty) then you can fit them and ride the bike for a few dozen pedal revolutions, before you do a zero offset. Apparently it's not until you do all this that your Computer will register power. Well what I did worked anyway! GC thinks they are Vectors - ha no, because they work. But they do provide all the data the Vectors do, and some extras I don't have on the P2M, like torque efficiency & pedal smoothness. Only the left pedal communicates to devices (the right pedal transmits it's data to the left pedal). I will keep you posted.


_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jayski




Joined: 30 Jul 2018
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So they arrived, and have been fitted. Despite the wet weather yesterday morning, I took them out for a 60km spin and so far so good! You have to download the Favero App first on your phone, then connect the pedals to the App to activate them (and the warranty) then you can fit them and ride the bike for a few dozen pedal revolutions, before you do a zero offset. Apparently it's not until you do all this that your Computer will register power. Well what I did worked anyway! GC thinks they are Vectors - ha no, because they work. But they do provide all the data the Vectors do, and some extras I don't have on the P2M, like torque efficiency & pedal smoothness. Only the left pedal communicates to devices (the right pedal transmits it's data to the left pedal). I will keep you posted.



Thanks Jorgan, really keen to see how you get on with them - this factors into my turbo thread as you suggested! BTW, did you order them direct?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:

Thanks Jorgan, really keen to see how you get on with them - this factors into my turbo thread as you suggested! BTW, did you order them direct?


I ordered them from Clever Training UK, using the DC Rainmaker discount code (earlier in this thread is a link); that made them cheaper than Sigma or Cycle Powermeters. They arrived within 3 working days.

At the moment they are on my 'best bike' my Canyon Endurace, which is thru-axle, so I need to get a trainer adapter before I could use that bike indoors; although I could use my commuter bike on the trainer instead....the joys of PM Pedals Cool Currently still have the TT bike on the trainer with the P2Max.

Out of interest, my new pedalling metrics on Sunday were:

L/R Torque effectiveness: 72/70% (how much of the power is pushing forward)
L/R Pedal Smoothness: 20/20% (i.e. power is delivered for 20% of the stroke)

Both fall within 'normal values'.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 640
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have found the thread.

I just got my Favero Assioma Dual sided pedals, ordered direct on Wednesday, delivered Friday, ridden on Saturday.

This is my first pedal power meter, and first impressions are really good

These are the figures for my first ride

Avg Power 208w
NP 248w
Torque effectiveness 77%L:79%R
Pedal Smoothness 22%L:23%R
Balance 50%L:50%R
IF 0.841
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrace




Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 2837
Location: Eating a Yorkie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Oh, if you got a Rotor 3D24 tool to sell I'm in the market... Rolling Eyes


We seem to have loads of people who drop round just to use such a thing - no it's not for sale!

That's ebcause it's 30 euro plus 15 euro shipping from Power2Max who seems to be the only ones selling it. I just need to change some chainrings ffs.

My usual LBS doesn't have one but might call around to the others in the area to hear.

Why do you need the spider tool to change some chainrings?

Chainring doesn't fit over the battery compartment on the Classic. The kind of thing you find out after buying (used)...

Are they solid aero chainrings or something? Standard chainrings with the cutouts between the bolt holes fit over my classic fine. I'll admit the Type S is easier (which is what I have on my TT), but the Classic allows standard rings to be changed no problem.

Indeed, it has to be possible. My Classic is bonded to FSA Gossamer cranks. You can't remove the spider from the crank arms, so it has to be possible to fit chainrings without needing to remove the spider.

It's a problem with the Classic P2M on Rotor 3D. For info, a kind FB buy/sell group member had one lying around which I bought for a tenner posted. I'm in York if anyone ever need one (Rotor 3D24, not 3D+).
_________________
Where the mind goes the body follows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally managed to run my P2Max and Assiomas together on a ride outside, to compare. As predicted, the P2M read lower (they do have a reputation of reading a bit low - albeit very consistent). Both based on FTP of 273w on GC.

Assioma Duo (Garmin Edge 520)
Dist 30.1km, Speed 36.8kph, Elapsed time 48:58, Ascent 159m.
AP 226w
NP 237w
MP 580w
20min 230w
L/R Bal 51/49%
Av Cad 98rpm
TSS 60.8
IF 0.867

Power2Max (Garmin 735xt)
Dist 30.12km, speed 36.8kph, time 48:59, ascent 142m.
AP 220w
NP 229w
MP 509w
20 min 225w
L/R Bal 52/48%
Av cad 98rpm
TSS 57.2
IF 0.840

Ascent difference mainly due to barometric altimeter vs GPS based calculation on 735xt.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1863

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info. There would be a very very minor differential due to the placement of the two power meters, but to be honest the results are within the +/- 2% that power meters generally specify.

Ultimately, I'd say those numbers mean both power meters are close enough as to be reliable, and also comparable.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one would people use for an FTP test? Very Happy
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 640
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Which one would people use for an FTP test? Very Happy


At the start of the season do the FTP on P2M, when next time use the Assioma to show great progression in FTP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Which one would people use for an FTP test? Very Happy


At the start of the season do the FTP on P2M, when next time use the Assioma to show great progression in FTP


Well, it does explain a portion of my latest 24w improvement Rolling Eyes
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1938
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Which one would people use for an FTP test? Very Happy


At the start of the season do the FTP on P2M, when next time use the Assioma to show great progression in FTP


Test with the Assioma's then train with the P2M Twisted Evil

I'm sure my ramp test that came out at 262w is around 7-10w high but I'm training off it and it is hard. Hopefully I'll see the gains over the next few weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've noticed the pedals have been dropping-out a bit last few rides. In fact on Zwift the other day it stopped my Avatar several times whilst I was still pedalling. Think I'll get in touch with the Tech support people. It seems to have coincided with this spell of colder weather the last week.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8348
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, I've noticed the pedals have been dropping-out a bit last few rides. In fact on Zwift the other day it stopped my Avatar several times whilst I was still pedalling. Think I'll get in touch with the Tech support people. It seems to have coincided with this spell of colder weather the last week.


zwift often does that though, not necessarily the power meter, check that your garmin/wahoo/whatever also dropped out at the same moment..
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
hammerer
Site Admin



Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16586
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant+ or BTLE Jorgan?

If the former check your ant+ dongle is nice and close or/and is in the powered USB port. Bluetooth is usually faultless when Ive used the ipad. Also check the batteries on the pedals.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.