Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk.co.uk is on facebook
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: TriTalk.co.uk is on facebook Reply with quote

As the topic says. Search for the full name TriTalk.co.uk , not one of the poor pretenders. Few of the old crowd are out to play. Cool
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it replace this old place I wonder??
tin pot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pending...

Is it as entertaining as IMJ?

The lack of anonymity in FB doesnít seem to change behaviours much. I was about to delete the FB app but rejoined my running club and all the updates are on there.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer TT on here.

I find FB too much visually 'in your face', too much visual clutter etc. and the necessity to see lots of crap you're not really interested in.

My 15 minutes of fame
IronVampiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is better than FB..........fact.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Facebook is that it can engulf your time. Thatís why I left a valuable group for a while, to free up time for writing and reflecting. I had been trying to pull back for some time but there is so much going on, so much to think about, that it can be addictive. By design I guess.

That said stuff can be impossible to find easily, and sometimes the algorithms do funny things (eating posts, posting posts twice, not showing threads for a while etc).

Itís strength is that, because it knows how to manipule your energy (thatís addiction to you to keep you engaged and there) it can bring together people in new ways. It must be a spooks wet Dream.

Oh itís other strength is that even I get respect on Facebook. Mostly anyway!

And it is possible to tap global networks to get information and insights fast, which can help progress. Example, after a beautiful woman Ďbumpedí into me and discussed a specific aspect of my skill set, I asked on Facebook why some governments dance a dance instead of simply saying ę†Hi Stewart what is it about this painting that keeps you here†Ľ. I got a quick detailed and thought provoking explanation from a retired US Military soldier/trainer/author. Helped me understand. As people from several nations appear to be taking my skills seriously/Ingraining themselves into my life, that was rather useful. Had I asked that here someone would have ripped the proverbial p.

But I agree that fb lacks the strengths of an old school forum, ease of finding threads etc.
hammerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronVampiro wrote:

Forums are better than FB, but not this one built 15 years ago! You have to spend hours deleting spam, using out of date software no longer fit for purpose to do it. Bugs probably ironed out 12 years ago causing issues because we don't have access to update it. A home page showing 5 year old news and links going nowhere. We are never gonna attract newbies as they'll assume this place is dead. Hopefully facebook will lead people here until we can get access to the back end and update!
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pending - Jason B

Edit - That was quick Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
IronVampiro wrote:

Forums are better than FB, but not this one built 15 years ago! You have to spend hours deleting spam, using out of date software no longer fit for purpose to do it. Bugs probably ironed out 12 years ago causing issues because we don't have access to update it. A home page showing 5 year old news and links going nowhere. We are never gonna attract newbies as they'll assume this place is dead. Hopefully facebook will lead people here until we can get access to the back end and update!

Can we rip-off the plaster and start a new forum with as closer a name to this as we can? As long as well advertised in advance, people can move across. I don't ever see a time that Gareth will have enough interest to allow us to make improvements to this site Question What perplexes me most is that he is like Lord Lucan, but manages to put 50p in the meter when push comes to shove.

If we can't get any movement from him, maybe we need to just start over.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
IronVampiro wrote:

Can we rip-off the plaster and start a new forum with as closer a name to this as we can? As long as well advertised in advance, people can move across. I don't ever see a time that Gareth will have enough interest to allow us to make improvements to this site Question What perplexes me most is that he is like Lord Lucan, but manages to put 50p in the meter when push comes to shove.

If we can't get any movement from him, maybe we need to just start over.

Not knowing the (ancient) history of the forum, this is what i was going to suggest. Also not knowing how easy/hard/expensive it is to do, i didn't know if that would be prohibitive.

I've had plenty of entertainment over thelst 6 years on here, so i'd be happy to throw a few million Bolivar (or your currency of choice) to help things out.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Can we rip-off the plaster and start a new forum with as closer a name to this as we can?

TripeTalk.co.uk ? Wink Rolling Eyes
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Can we rip-off the plaster and start a new forum with as closer a name to this as we can?

Laughing

triathlontalk.co.uk ?

yes can do that. get a discourse forum up easy enough....i think anyway. digital ocean is about $10 per month. one off $100 fee to even get someone to do the hard work for us.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Wink

but as a thought - talktri.co.uk? domain is available
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I've had plenty of entertainment over thelst 6 years on here, so i'd be happy to throw a few million Bolivar (or your currency of choice) to help things out.

With an active rejuvenated site, we could probably get some support with partnerships with related businesses too. I got an offer from an old Forum member, if we had a new idea going forward, and can think of one or two others with skin in the game (past members here & business links in Tri) that could be interested too.
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs to be quite a long way from tritalk name & branding wise if you want a clean break imho... and be clear what we're aiming for .. just a forum ?
news aggregator (like tt news stuff?).... some kind of editorial & reporting content ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: