Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN Hamburg 2019 - Rumble in the M45 Jungle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1396
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if I stood on the podium it would probably disintegrate under the weight.

Anyway, I've entered, I hope I don't regret this, I can't even run far ATM, did 10 miles yesterday and the leg is broken again.

At least I can start cycling if it would only get warmer.

Always got the option to transfer to Italy if things are going very bad.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18171
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Jeff Exclamation You'll be fine. Remember what Cpl Jones said...Don't Panic!

What's the leg issue?
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18171
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

Anyway, I've entered


Paging Mattsurf
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1396
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Welcome aboard Jeff Exclamation You'll be fine. Remember what Cpl Jones said...Don't Panic!

What's the leg issue?


I picked up a very sore knee doing the ultra 3 weeks ago, it's probably just a series of tight muscles like the quads etc., it's healing until I run again but I've had another painful massage again tonight.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 838
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Anyway, I've entered


Paging Mattsurf


I appear to have entered! Now going on vacation 31 July to 13 August, so managed to schedule everything so that IM Hamburg works

Now then, is it a 10 hour course?

July and August are now officially packed

25 May St polten
18 June Zug triathlon
7 July Great Kindroicht Quadrathon
21 July Etap du Tour (not sure this is an ideal taper)
28 July IM Hamberg

25 August Alpen Brevet
1 September ITU Worlds
8 September Nice?????
23 September Zurich Zermat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 2050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Jorgan got you!
I don't see what can go wrong with 135km and 4k of climbing seven days before an Ironman! If you do do it, maybe see you there! Although I'll just be aiming to get around...the most cycling I've done so far this year is look at my bikes hung up on the wall Shocked
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 838
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Haha, Jorgan got you!
I don't see what can go wrong with 135km and 4k of climbing seven days before an Ironman! If you do do it, maybe see you there! Although I'll just be aiming to get around...the most cycling I've done so far this year is look at my bikes hung up on the wall Shocked



I am trying to convince myself:
1. It doesn't take that long to recover from a bike ride
2. I will take it easy, gentle on the climbs
3. It will give me an excuse when I fall woefully behind my desired time at Hamburg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1396
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, 135k the week before should be fine, I did a century the week before Barcelona a few years ago, albeit not 4000M ascent, and actually managed to PB the IM.

If you are aiming for a sub 4:30 half, you really need to be looking for 9:40 here, as long as your race execution goes well and we don't get some extreme Jorgan weather event Sad

Not sure about the new parts of the bike course but the out and back bit will be very quick unless there's a wind. But, you really need to be used to the tri bars.

I'm just hoping I'll be fine with a few 50 minute wattbike sessions, think I'll get by.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 838
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Matt, 135k the week before should be fine, I did a century the week before Barcelona a few years ago, albeit not 4000M ascent, and actually managed to PB the IM.

If you are aiming for a sub 4:30 half, you really need to be looking for 9:40 here, as long as your race execution goes well and we don't get some extreme Jorgan weather event Sad

Not sure about the new parts of the bike course but the out and back bit will be very quick unless there's a wind. But, you really need to be used to the tri bars.

I'm just hoping I'll be fine with a few 50 minute wattbike sessions, think I'll get by.

Jeff


Thanks, I guess the main purpose is to get a sub 10. For me to be really competitive, I need some hills, this bike course will suit super powerful riders. I think I need to work on being aero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1396
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
JeffB wrote:
Matt, 135k the week before should be fine, I did a century the week before Barcelona a few years ago, albeit not 4000M ascent, and actually managed to PB the IM.

If you are aiming for a sub 4:30 half, you really need to be looking for 9:40 here, as long as your race execution goes well and we don't get some extreme Jorgan weather event Sad

Not sure about the new parts of the bike course but the out and back bit will be very quick unless there's a wind. But, you really need to be used to the tri bars.

I'm just hoping I'll be fine with a few 50 minute wattbike sessions, think I'll get by.

Jeff


Thanks, I guess the main purpose is to get a sub 10. For me to be really competitive, I need some hills, this bike course will suit super powerful riders. I think I need to work on being aero.


Wind tunnel?

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18171
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, are there any slots left?

WHO'S NEXT Confused Exclamation

Stenard, about your summer....
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18171
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I'm staying in the Crowne Plaza; shed-loads of choice though. I picked that on Expedia, as Breakfast was a pretty small surcharge Very Happy (not 25+ like some of them!). Need to find some roads suitable for a spin-out on the bike on the Thursday, much reconnaissance on Google Earth needed I think.

"Rumble in the M45 Jungle" is on.
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 2050

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Stenard, about your summer....

Ha - I'm already short on leave, and this year is all about the marathon early, and then getting into some semblance of tri shape to not make a fool of myself in Nice. I would certainly not be expecting to be able to recover quickly from the Etape as mattsurf likely will. I'm worried about finishing given my complete lack of any cycling this year!

I won't lie that the long course itch is beginning to resurface though...
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18171
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I won't lie that the long course itch is beginning to resurface though...


I didn't miss it at all last year!
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1396
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowne Plaza, I'm a northerner you know, I'll be sleeping in the car at this rate!

My credit card is still in tears after entering, so logistics will be next month or June.

Currently deciding between driving and Hull-Rotterdam ferry, or getting Nirvana to transport the bike and flying, as I might go to Copenhagen after for a day or two. Both will cost a similar amount.

That hotel looks quite close to transition as well, so not too far on race day, although the underground was excellent if you are close to a station.

Stenard, you only need about 2 days leave if you drive from London and go via the tunnel, and as for biking, I've only averaged 30MPW since October last year so stacks of time to get fit Smile

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.