Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Aberfeldy 70.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Aberfeldy 70.3 Reply with quote

Good morning!

So, my first ever 70.3 completed on Sunday in 6 hours 44 minutes.

Weather was showery drizzle, quite humid.

Swim. 57 minutes. Not great but I fought my demons and got through it. Suffered cramp in both quads which stayed with me for the rest of the rest. Time to own up, it was my first open water swim. Big mistake! Lost all technique, it was pure survival. Absolutely hated it.

Bike. 3 hrs 30 minutes. 2 Cat 3 climbs meaning 3000 feet of climbing. Fantastic bike course, loved every minute. The swim cramps came back a couple of times on the climbs, but got through them.

Run. 2 hrs 7 minutes. Bit disappointed, should have been under 2. Cramps again but probably more to do with fuelling. Got everything right apart from pre race where I only had toast, couldnít stomach any more.

Lessons learned. More breakfast needed. Practice open water swimming, the swim could have ended my race, I felt so demoralised and literally out of my depth. Really messed with my head.Donít go too hard on the bike climbs.

Really loved this event and feel a real sense of achievement.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, the first is all about learning... having said that, definitely a bit rash doing your first ever OW swim during the event. OW swimming is very different to a pool, certainly psychologically, but also I find it much harder not to let my pace drift downwards
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.. sounds like a good race.
How much of your swim problem was down to the Open water and how much of it was down to your swimming ability ?
I dont mean to sound rude, or presumptuous, but i struggled with OW at first. I knew, however, that i just wasnt a very good swimmer and put a fair amount of time into improving in the pool. Funnily enough after i had dropped my pool times (i'm talking about over a sustained period) all of the OW anxiety disappeared and i started to relish the OW swim.
Never trained in OW really either... no amount of 'acclimatization' is going to help if your swim stroke sucks..... and again, apologies if your's doesnt and you just really did get 'The Fear' !!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Well done.. sounds like a good race.
How much of your swim problem was down to the Open water and how much of it was down to your swimming ability ?
I dont mean to sound rude, or presumptuous, but i struggled with OW at first. I knew, however, that i just wasnt a very good swimmer and put a fair amount of time into improving in the pool. Funnily enough after i had dropped my pool times (i'm talking about over a sustained period) all of the OW anxiety disappeared and i started to relish the OW swim.
Never trained in OW really either... no amount of 'acclimatization' is going to help if your swim stroke sucks..... and again, apologies if your's doesnt and you just really did get 'The Fear' !!

My swimming is not that good. First tri was a sprint in May, managed 18minutes for 750m.

I really do need more practice.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... if i were you i would spend the winter swimming 3 times a week, more if possible. Look at some lessons or join a group/club. I kind of self taught using Swimsmooth dvd and training plan. It shouldnt be that hard to get your times down to holding 2min/100m over distance and at that point you should start feeling more comfortable. No disrespect intended here but if it takes you 18 mins to swim 750m it would suggest you have some technique issues so it would be no surprise that you would struggle in Open Water...
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Sure... if i were you i would spend the winter swimming 3 times a week, more if possible. Look at some lessons or join a group/club. I kind of self taught using Swimsmooth dvd and training plan. It shouldnt be that hard to get your times down to holding 2min/100m over distance and at that point you should start feeling more comfortable. No disrespect intended here but if it takes you 18 mins to swim 750m it would suggest you have some technique issues so it would be no surprise that you would struggle in Open Water...

I'll need to put some thought into my goals.

Not sure I want to go as far again, the training took up a chunk of time and felt a bit selfish from family point of view.

I love my cycling and running, swimming not so much. I may stick to the odd sprint next year.

Wife and I have also got other goals next year, so have to fit around these.

Being honest, at 50, I'm happy to survive in the water!
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.. there is certainly more to life than Triathlon ! Well done on getting a 70.3 done, especially after having such a difficult start to the day !
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Fair enough.. there is certainly more to life than Triathlon ! Well done on getting a 70.3 done, especially after having such a difficult start to the day !

I'm not done with Triathlon, just the longer events. I'll stick to Sprint for now and take it from there.

I love the training and having a plan.
Clive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man!

My first ever tri Wensleydale in 2007 and Ben Nevis 2nd a few months later were also my first ever two experiences at outdoor swimming (well, not in pools but cold lakes). Can't remember much about the Ben apart from the taste of oil from the fishing boats and cramp from the cold, but for my first tri, Semer Water, it was a tough experience. The shock! In the end, I reverted to breastroke and was last but one out.

Not too demoralising tho as I cycle and am a fell runner, so felt like a real athlete passing some folk on the next two disciplines, heh heh.

Onward and upward as they say, and it's better to have tried and learned........
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive wrote:
Well done that man!

My first ever tri Wensleydale in 2007 and Ben Nevis 2nd a few months later were also my first ever two experiences at outdoor swimming (well, not in pools but cold lakes). Can't remember much about the Ben apart from the taste of oil from the fishing boats and cramp from the cold, but for my first tri, Semer Water, it was a tough experience. The shock! In the end, I reverted to breastroke and was last but one out.

Not too demoralising tho as I cycle and am a fell runner, so felt like a real athlete passing some folk on the next two disciplines, heh heh.

Onward and upward as they say, and it's better to have tried and learned........

As you say, onward and upward!

After nearly 2 weeks, my mojo is back!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aberfeldy 70.3 Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Practice open water swimming, the swim could have ended my race, I felt so demoralised and literally out of my depth.

Aye, yae shiftless wee fanny, take a tellin' Very Happy

Glad you got 'round and are here to tell the tale!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aberfeldy 70.3 Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
Practice open water swimming, the swim could have ended my race, I felt so demoralised and literally out of my depth.

Aye, yae shiftless wee fanny, take a tellin' Very Happy

Glad you got 'round and are here to tell the tale!

Ha! Thanks Jorgan
BigFoz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the issues is that the Swim at Aberfeldy is rarely above 14-16C, and has been as low as 12C. That is very different from pool, and frankly, since I moved up I've been a big believer in acclimatisation - Scottish OW swims are much colder than down south.

Link up with the Wild West Swimmers on FB - lots of friendly OW swims around the Central Belt and WoS - lots based off Loch Lomond venues, but also Loch Ard / Loch Vennachar, Albies, Balgray, Irvine Pond etc. The pond at Irvine probably the best as regular swims 5:30 Tue / Fri and 4pm Sundays from May - late Sep, water quality excellent (makes Rutland Water seem like swimming in snot), parking on hand and good access, plus a laid out course.

Some of the hardier folks swim the pond till Nov, and a lot swim year round (WWS have regular swims all year, sometimes having to break the ice.)

Great friendly way to eat cake, I mean practice your OW swimming without any pressure. Wetsuits or skins, no-one's bothered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: