Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Conquer The Chilterns - F3 Events
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Conquer The Chilterns - F3 Events Reply with quote

Am looking at doing this event as a last chance opportunity to get a triathlon done in 2018 after a year of injury. This one caught my eye because it's an open water swim, whereas most events at this time of year seem to be pool based (sadly Sandman isn't feasible travel wise)

https://www.f3events.co.uk/events/conquer-the-chilterns-sprint-plus-201809-1152

Just wondering if anyone on here had any experience of / info about the event or the organisers?

The details on the website are pretty minimal - no route info or itinerary. I've messaged F3 and seen a few tweets of people asking them for more details, but while they seem to put a lot of effort into putting out tweets promoting their events, they don't seem great at responding.

So if anyone has any experience of doing this event they could provide that would be great. Thanks!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is limited to a single event.

Observations - resonably expensive despite being pretty no frills. Pathetic prizes for my friends who finished 2nd and 3rd (a £1.50 trophy and a free gel or something rubbish like that). I got the feeling you're just a £ sign, but they delivered what they said they would.

Event went smoothly enough though. No particular complaints there.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear, thanks! Can't imagine prize quality being something i'll have to worry about unless there's only 3 of us racing Smile
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the middle distance this year. No experience of this course, but I did do what they now call The Fugitive middle distance in 2015, and I did one of their duathlons at Dorney last year. The Mrs also ran one of their 10k races the same day as the du. No complaints about the organisation, my experiences with them have been very good. I know others who have had problems with them and avoid them like the plague, and recommend that others do the same. Rumour has it that they're a little slack in terms of safety cover (bare minimum/confirmed at last minute/etc) but I've seen no evidence of inadequate cover at the races I attended.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe! I found the route used in previous years on strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/717649230#_=_

https://www.strava.com/routes/10461254?hl=en-GB

So unless it's changed hopefully that at least gives a bit more of an idea as to what to expect.
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. I had a feeling it was something like that, but was struggling to find anything on Strava. They seem to like multi-lap hilly bike legs - the Marlow Half Iron I did was a similar affair.

The road down from the top of the hill isn't the greatest, unless it's been resurfaced in the last 12 months or so, but should still be good for a fast run back to Henley. Tricky bit their is where it joins the main road at Lower Assendon - just after a stretch of dual-carriageway. That might see riders having to stop for traffic, losing any momentum they may have had. Also, the turn just north of Henley could have the same effect.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Just had a look at the descent on google maps, doesn't look great like you say. And it looks like there might be some sections of it which are shaded by trees which I never enjoy (my prescription sunglasses don't cope well with it anyway), but it doesn't seem like it's too twisty and technical at least.

I think this is the run route from 2016 https://www.strava.com/activities/716512948
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightouttabrompton wrote:
I think this is the run route from 2016 https://www.strava.com/activities/716512948

Hills Surprised I was hoping for a flat, multi-lap riverside affair
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed opinions of F3.Did their Eton Dorney duathlon in Feb. Very well run, excellent organisation, expensive but fun. I came 2nd in the 40+ AG, no trophy! Very Happy

Did the Marlow HIM in June. Again, good organisation, fairly expensive, everyone helpful but parking, exit and entry of bike course was an absolute cluster fcuk, didnít see any draft Marshallís on the bike course and there was some blatant cheating by a few females being dragged round by their partners.

Traffic control could have been better.

Canít say F3 are good value but also, you could do a lot worse.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeNobody wrote:
I'm doing the middle distance this year. No experience of this course, but I did do what they now call The Fugitive middle distance in 2015, and I did one of their duathlons at Dorney last year. The Mrs also ran one of their 10k races the same day as the du. No complaints about the organisation, my experiences with them have been very good. I know others who have had problems with them and avoid them like the plague, and recommend that others do the same. Rumour has it that they're a little slack in terms of safety cover (bare minimum/confirmed at last minute/etc) but I've seen no evidence of inadequate cover at the races I attended.

Henley is my backyard (literally) - I don't think I have ever done a ride where I can't pull out of the turning at full gas.

(n.b. this is not a suggestion that you try the same Shocked )

The race will have a very small event local feel and be well attended by the Henley triathlon lot - I don't know how this compares to other F3 events - imagine a load of mates getting together to do a race, sticking some banners up and letting anyone else who enters.

It will be fun, but very slow I should think. Plan for shocking roads.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a word of warning - F3 do not run their events under a BTF permit. this means that your BTF membership does not provide you insurance for their races. and there is nothing on their entry form to tell you what insurance cover you get. despite them offering a £5 discount for BTF membership, you need to ask what insurance they offer - there is an inference that non-BTF members are getting a day licence for their £5 extra they pay, but are they?? they would if the event had a BTF permit but it doesn't - nor has one been applied for as far as I can see (not listed on the BTF events list).

they also say they run the event under BTF rules - all well and good and nowt wrong with that, but you won't have a BTF qualified TO there as our insurance doesn't cover us for being TOs at non-permitted events.

just sayin' Rolling Eyes
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Buddha says be careful if they are not permitted and make sure they and you are protected. Last thing you need is a court case after a crash!
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

routes and schedule have been put up online. Routes look the same as those i found from previous years. Looks like it's a split transition, although only on the opposite side of the road from each other so no great hassle

https://www.f3events.co.uk/events/conquer-the-chilterns-middle-distance-201809-1150
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had a race pack yet? Or do we pick them up on the day (or maybe day before)?
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
As Buddha says be careful if they are not permitted and make sure they and you are protected. Last thing you need is a court case after a crash!

Any recommendations for insurance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: