Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Colonel Sanders - best triathlete ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

LIONel certainly seems to have a support team - not quite the lone wolf carrot cruncher some try to make him out as.

Yeah having seen the recent videos I think far from being a bonkers guy trying things at random, he seems to be a switched on guy who's savvy with social media (and a decent athlete).

Firstly - his training day wasn't that nuts really. Skipper's recently been doing 180K rides (OK not quite at 300W) followed by 25/28K progressive runs on Successive weekends.

Secondly - the videos are pretty well put together, the 2 parts leaving everyone dangling, cool drone footage, shipping in a beer mile training partner etc. is not the work of someone who got up and decided to do an ironman in training on a crazy whim.

Thirdly - great product placement. Bascially he's drummed into the vid "I was #@?# in Tremblant, but now I'm drinking Gatorade Endurance it's all good" but in a likeable engaging way. I also noticed the large Garnieu gazebo at the side of the cycle track they had.

Fourthly - who fancies 180K solo on that road 'surface'? Ouch. No traffic though which I guess is a bonus.

Yep, he definitely has a decent media person/team. Maybe it is his missus who puts it all together? It could be one of his interests outside of triathlon and they work on the edits themselves.

He's definitely not thick. He is massively stubborn though.

The product placement is on point - even the picture of him in the top corner with the Freshii kit on because he wore a plain run vest.
jayski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If we go back a few years, long before there was an Internet, Slowtwitch or vlogs to cloud matters, there was another self-coached guy who did pretty well at Kona, despite his quirky running gait.

His name was Dave.

Doesn't that guy make trisuits now?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If we go back a few years, long before there was an Internet, Slowtwitch or vlogs to cloud matters, there was another self-coached guy who did pretty well at Kona, despite his quirky running gait.

His name was Dave.

yes, but he was good...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it - I'm now fearful of getting hooked on the Sanders melodrama (although I actually make no apologies for watching nicely filmed drone footage of swim bike run in Kona whilst on a dreary Monday morning commute).

Latest update is that he's 'realized' changing everything as a reaction last year's result had a bit of throwing out the baby with the bath water about it, and apparently has just changed everything back to last year (inc. his bike fit) because what he had done wasn't sensible.

Oh, and he decided to (on a whim) go out to Kona mega early after seeing Frodo's 70.3 worlds run split. He's very fortunate he was able to bring his run training partner and filming team with him at such short notice Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make you wonder if LIONel is literally doing a "ah man, I'm just fcuking with you".

Although, has he started referring to himself in the third-person yet?
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Damn it - I'm now fearful of getting hooked on the Sanders melodrama (although I actually make no apologies for watching nicely filmed drone footage of swim bike run in Kona whilst on a dreary Monday morning commute).

Latest update is that he's 'realized' changing everything as a reaction last year's result had a bit of throwing out the baby with the bath water about it, and apparently has just changed everything back to last year (inc. his bike fit) because what he had done wasn't sensible.

Oh, and he decided to (on a whim) go out to Kona mega early after seeing Frodo's 70.3 worlds run split. He's very fortunate he was able to bring his run training partner and filming team with him at such short notice Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure the filming team is just his wife. She's never in shot, plus what else is there to do other than feed him and his ego?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
PhilleusPhogg wrote:

I'm pretty sure the filming team is just his wife. She's never in shot, plus what else is there to do other than feed him and his ego?

The filming team is 'triathlon taren' who's job is making vlogs about triathletes ensuring sponsorship product placement etc.

Sanders is still a 'lone wolf' in that he takes lots of bits of advice from lots of different people and tries to put it together himself, rather than having a singular coach. Given how much he flip flops around and always picks the extreme of anything he tries I think he would do better with a coach that he unquestionably listened to.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this Talbot Cox chap did LS's media stuff.

Isn't Triathlon Taren just another wannabe vlog influencer?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I thought this Talbot Cox chap did LS's media stuff.

Isn't Triathlon Taren just another wannabe vlog influencer?

Maybe I meant Cox. Apologies. I can't keep up with all these social media types Smile

I was just trying to point out that they are properly put together by a 3rd party with a vested interest.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The background music on his vlogs grates after about 10 seconds!

Interesting to see he's running 3:00/km 2km reps as prep, given I assume he'll not be running close to that in the marathon in Kona! I guess this is his latest 'reaction' to realising it's only the run he needs to work on from last year.
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else find his last YT video very weird. Hammered himself in a big 7 hour session and basically wrote this year off and said he has 6 years to win it.

Very odd.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope the jazz swallowers on 'Twits STFU now Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Did anyone else find his last YT video very weird. Hammered himself in a big 7 hour session and basically wrote this year off and said he has 6 years to win it.

Very odd.

I saw that last video before Kona too. It was like a parody of himself. 1:10 into the video he basically says "yeah I've put myself into a massive hole, and I've over-trained, typical second place syndrome and it's ruined my race".

I think someone needs to grip him, as he is his own worst enemy. When you have a great race, you look at what you did to prepare for that, and make the small tweaks that you believe will improve on it. We all know he threw the baby out with the bath water, including Lionel himself Rolling Eyes
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been an oddly compelling slow motion car crash into insanity and that video was the end point.

His logic after last year's race was pretty sound - definitely 'I did great- just tweaks needed' - I remember him talking about becoming a better bike handler so he didn't lose contact on the descent from Hawi and burn some matches at 350w getting back on etc.

He got beaten by Jan at Oceanside 70.3 and has been losing his mind ever since. He was obviously bonkers by the time he tried to starve himself for days in order to 'race lean' at Mont Tremblant, since that he seems to dug himself deeper doing 'IM simulations' on a weekly basis desperately trying to shore up his confidence.

I wonder when he 'knew' he'd blown it completely....
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
It's been an oddly compelling slow motion car crash into insanity and that video was the end point.

His logic after last year's race was pretty sound - definitely 'I did great- just tweaks needed' - I remember him talking about becoming a better bike handler so he didn't lose contact on the descent from Hawi and burn some matches at 350w getting back on etc.

He got beaten by Jan at Oceanside 70.3 and has been losing his mind ever since. He was obviously bonkers by the time he tried to starve himself for days in order to 'race lean' at Mont Tremblant, since that he seems to dug himself deeper doing 'IM simulations' on a weekly basis desperately trying to shore up his confidence.

I wonder when he 'knew' he'd blown it completely....

Maybe he's been watching Cam Wurf's strava too closely?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: