Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Colonel Sanders - best triathlete ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
As his performance last year proves, he does have the ability to be the best, and it would be easy to say, just go back to where you were last year and look at small adjustments.... however, I fear that he doesn't keep an accurate record of what he was doing last year as he has changed so much this year

Dunno, he has Training Peaks - so all the data is there. In fact these days there are so many platforms. I no longer keep a written diary, which imho is the easiest way to cross reference back in time quickly. But I do have all my data on Strava, Connect and now even TP! So if I can be bothered to trawl back, it's there. My TP account is just a free one, but all the sessions upload should I ever wish to go premium or get a coach.

Agreed, however, things like diet, weight, amount of rest (although this may be available on Garmin if he was using something like a 935 or Fenix 5)

When you get to this level, really looking for marginal gains, while keeping other variables as constant as possible. Lionel does anything but that

In the Vlog, he talks about how crap at swimming he is... however, he put in some really good swim performances earlier this year. He also talks about training too much indoors.... however, it worked well for him last year; given his past approach to change, will he suddenly ditch indoor training?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to 're-baseline' and that baseline is what he did in 2017, and go from there.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I know, but recall thinking that session in Hawaii 6 x 2000m in 6 minutes, was the wrong session for the job in hand. That's 2h06 marathon pace.

Could have understood it a couple of weeks out from a half marathon or possibly even a 70.3.

Does anyone train that fast for IM?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
What do I know, but recall thinking that session in Hawaii 6 x 2000m in 6 minutes, was the wrong session for the job in hand. That's 2h06 marathon pace.

Could have understood it a couple of weeks out from a half marathon or possibly even a 70.3. Does anyone train that fast for IM?

You weren't the only one. I was wondering wtf anyone would train at 3:00/km pace for a Kona marathon.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

Could have understood it a couple of weeks out from a half marathon or possibly even a 70.3. Does anyone train that fast for IM?

You weren't the only one. I was wondering wtf anyone would train at 3:00/km pace for a Kona marathon.

thats just north of the pace the performance squad train at in Leeds and they only do 10*1k reps. not 12k of reps!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

thats just north of the pace the performance squad train at in Leeds and they only do 10*1k reps. not 12k of reps!

it depends on the objective and how the athlete responds...however, it does seem fast and too close.

What were the intervals?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

Maybe he was trying improve his swim time by running on water Confused
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

it depends on the objective and how the athlete responds...however, it does seem fast and too close.

What were the intervals?

Someone above said 6x2km in 6mins but don't know the rests.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

What were the intervals?

without the interval, it is just conjecture...although it still seems excessive that close to d day...

Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 mins rest......?!
fruit thief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He put it on YouTube, did the session with Cody Beales I think. They were flying.

In his post Kona video he seems to have a lot of respect for Tim Don. Does Tim coach? Not sure why I'm even thinking about this still except the Colonel soap opera is addictive
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
without the interval, it is just conjecture...although it still seems excessive that close to d day...

Maybe it was 6x2km off 6min Shocked
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

without the interval, it is just conjecture...although it still seems excessive that close to the day...[/quote]

Definitely 6x 2km reps in just under 3:00/km pace, and you know the rest interval wasn't going to be 5 mins...it's LIONel. He was training like an Oly distance athlete.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Maybe it was 6x2km off 6min Shocked

Epic Very Happy

TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel constantly needs sessions to reassure himself/address any fears or worries he has during training, regardless of whether that session will help him be faster on race day.

It means he is really trying to keep himself race fit all year; as it appears any session (or race) which does not prove to himself that he is race fit leads to him ripping everything to pieces in desperation.

He'll probably go well under a coach for a time, but question is what will happen when there is a setback. Can he overcome himself and his instincts and trust in the longer term plan.

We get to watch the whole thing unfold in instalments on youtube - as noted oddly addictive, reality TV for IM nerds. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: